Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Qualifier- Ireland vs Serbia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gavlor wrote: »
    Someone tell RTE to change their logo to World Cup qualifiers

That is the correct logo for the European Qualifiers, my Euro 2016 phone app updated to the same today.

2088189_w4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dunphy saying the performance showed guts and resilience. Complete opposite - it showed real doubt and panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

At least we got something out of the game. Hopefully and need too get 6 points out of our next 2 games and go to Vienna with 7 pts

One of those nights

"Get the ball down and play like we want to" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Forgot the Serbs were missing key players and that makes this result even worse. What a chance blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

How John O'Shea & Glenn Whelan are still in this Irish team are beyond me. Whelan was the invisible man tonight & O'Shea was dire & bullied from start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

justshane wrote: »
    Austria and Wales are going to be thinking they are fighting with each other for first place, prob not wrong in fairness after watch two poor teams.

I think people are over hyping Austria, lucky to get a win at Georgia and they were woeful at the Euros. Could see Serbia beating them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

murpho999 wrote: »
    That is the correct logo for the European Qualifiers, my Euro 2016 phone app updated to the same today.

2088189_w4.jpg

It's a world cup qualifier lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It was an utterly bizarre match.

A point away in Belgrade is a point gained but despite the fact we should have lost we could well have one it too.

Whatever about the tactics for me what was unforgivable was the lack of subs from 55 minutes or even beforehand onwards. Just some kind of spark. Something. Anything.

Although Ireland clearly have some kind of wizardry on teams when they go 1 down. Look at Poland and Germany in the last qualifiers and how they retreated too. It's a staple of international football.

Watching Ireland the past few years has been a 90 minute heart attack but you only have heart attacks when you're alive and Ireland are alive at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,205 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

kona wrote: »

European qualifiers for World Cup 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sand wrote: »
    Dunphy saying the performance showed guts and resilience. Complete opposite - it showed real doubt and panic.

The thing that's really annoying me is, Sebia played so high the whole game that it would have been perfect for us to pick just a couple of passes in midfield before playing the ball in behind them for Long to run on to. Instead it was just hoof the ball out of danger and hope for the best. It's really pathetic from O Neill. We are employing football dinosaurs.

I'm astonished Keane is still involved in this. I reckon he will be off when he gets a decent offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Its the European qualifiers for the world cup, thats the standard logo from FIFA for this stage of qualifying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Its the European Qualifiers of the world cup :rolleyes: Its correct

Here's a first. Brady talking utter defeatist rubbish and Dunphy talking sense. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

Think the likes of Ireland and England should be having a look at Wales and what can be achieved with a good manager setting the team up to play right and pass the ball.

Unfortunately Martin O'Neill was never a master of quality passing football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Early days, but it's hard to see us in Russia. Only a point against the 4th best team (if we are to finish near the top). The game was there for the taking, we were winning and Serbia were poor. Reminds me of the Israel games for 2006. Yet MON will be happy with that point. Might not get a golden opportunity like that away to Wales and Austria. Hard to see us winning the group, which realistically we will have to do as we would be up against two out of Spain/Italy & Holland/France in the playoffs. Only hope is that everyone takes poins off of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Serbia were brutal we messed up here ,Yougfella in goal for them couldnt catch a cold.Utter crap from O Neill stopping players from having a go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Decent result on paper but think Austria & Wales could win there if Serbia don't improve.

Tactics were shocking from MON, the game was there to be won right from the first whistle, we dropped too deep & lost any confidence we might have had going into the game. The comeback was purely down to the players taking control & ignoring the game plan.

TBH the pitch was in sh!te and passing wasn't going to be easy but I've never seen passing at this level as bad as tonight.

Starting Coleman was a mistake too I think, he was way off the pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Deleted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

adox wrote: »
    The thing that's really annoying me is, Sebia played so high the whole game that it would have been perfect for us to pick just a couple of passes in midfield before playing the ball in behind them for Long to run on to. Instead it was just hoof the ball out of danger and hope for the best. It's really pathetic from O Neill. We are employing football dinosaurs.

I'm astonished Keane is still involved in this. I reckon he will be off when he gets a decent offer.

Well he isn't getting many of those, so he'll be around for a while I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I wish I hadn't seen the match and just logged onto Flashscore and seen the result! I would be in a great mood now.

All the same its a point away in Belgrade. Which is what I anticipated pre game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think my opinion of MON is well documented at this stage and I gave him his credit after the Germany win and left my opinion at the door when it came to the Euros...

But that was fúcking pathetic.

Just when I thought I was coming back on side after a fun European Championships, we regress ten fold under him... AGAIN!!

Fúcking long balls forward can only take us so far. We have good ball players but he opted to leave Arter and Hoolahan on the bench when the game was crying out for someone to take the ball down and pass it around.

Am I happy with the point? Yeah.

We were screwed over by the ref for the penalty but refereeing aside, we were absolute dirt.

We can mix it with the big boys every so often but we can't go out and beat teams we're supposed to.

MON = Trap lite

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Good result . Poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

After the performances in the euros I really thought Ireland as a team had moved away from hoof balls out of defence. That they had realised that they could pass it through the midfield. No point having a speedster up front and lobbing ball to him.

Had to go 2-1 down before getting the finger out and pass and pressure like they should have been doing. They knew what to do when the pressure is on so why not do it from the start.
    So frustrating watching Ireland play, always doing it the hard way when they are so much better than that.
    And that Serbian goalkeeper was shocking not to pressure him a lot more was criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ireland were very lucky to get the draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dunphy on about Wes being abused again, Jesus Christ..same story everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Before the match, I would've taken a point but the tactics have really pissed me off.

We played well against Sweden from the start, against Italy and against France. These lads have it in them and MON can get it out of them.

So why the **** did we throw away three points here? The lads have it in them to go out and get something, that Serbia side are muck, they're a lot worse than what I was expecting. Three points were there for the taking tonight. We played well with attacking intent for two spells and scored two goals. Maybe if we'd played well for a bit longer, we would've scored more. Once Serbia were on the backfoot, they crumbled. The keeper was well dodgy. They kept falling back and it was like a hot knife through butter for us.

But then what happens? We score and just sit back, even though it's clearly something we can't do. It didn't work against Sweden, it didn't work against France and it didn't work against Serbia. You'd hope that playing at the Euros would have given MON a better idea of what we can/can't do and he would have learnt from it but from tonight there's no evidence of that. We simply can't sit back, stand off and hope for the best. It doesn't work with this side.

Yeah, before the game I'd have taken a point, easily, but Serbia are no world beaters. They scored twice because we let them, we gave them all the space in the world and it was inevitable. We scored twice because we created those goals. It's so ****ing frustrating when it's so blatantly obvious: trust the lads to take risks and there'll be rewards. Go all defensive and we just can't do it. MON's learnt **** all from the Euros. I'm reminded of that Albert Einstein quote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Now, I don't think we're world beaters or anything and we will come up against sides that will be able to resist and beat us but this Serbia side is muck. We could easily have win this game tonight but MON's refusal to trust the players to go for it has cost us that.

FWIW, I doubt that Serbian keeper will be starting again anytime soon. If we'd made him work more, we would have surely got more on the scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ahead against Sweden. Into our shell. Drop points.

Ahead against France. Into our shell. Lose.

Ahead against Serbia. Into our shell. Drop points.

The lads are capable. MON is getting plenty right. But he's blatantly telling the team to be ultra conservative when winning, and giving them licence to play at the start of games plus when we're behind.

It's a clear flaw in his management, and he got away with it tonight.

Players are being stopped to play by o neill he has no offensive mentality atall atall

Poor teams who are managed well continue to defy the odds in international football someone tell marty this

• Advertisement

Meanwhile ...... in the Serbian Fans boards.ie thread.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Happy about the result. Shocking decision for the penalty but the way things turned out, I don't think it particularly impacted the result. We certainly didn't look like we could have troubled them at 1-1, so perhaps in a way we're a bit fortunate that they scored as early as they did as it gave us time to push on and get the equaliser.

But our set up for the second half was pathetic. Resembling Chelsea or Inter in the semis against Barcelona levels of park the bus. Against Serbia. We showed them way too much respect and we're always going to be punished eventually. In the end I felt on the balance of play we were fortunate to take a point.

The disappointing thing was at half time I felt that we would go onto win the game, but if you'd asked me before the game I would have snapped your hands off for the point, so there's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Missed the match, could someone sum it up for me in the form of a haiku?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wouldn't mind if we could actually defend when we dropped deep, but we can't. So many errrors at the back tonight.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

CSF wrote: »
    Happy about the result. Shocking decision for the penalty but the way things turned out, I don't think it particularly impacted the result. We certainly didn't look like we could have troubled them at 1-1, so perhaps in a way we're a bit fortunate that they scored as early as they did as it gave us time to push on and get the equaliser.

But our set up for the second half was pathetic. Resembling Chelsea or Inter in the semis against Barcelona levels of park the bus. Against Serbia. We showed them way too much respect and we're always going to be punished eventually. In the end I felt on the balance of play we were fortunate to take a point.

The disappointing thing was at half time I felt that we would go onto win the game, but if you'd asked me before the game I would have snapped your hands off for the point, so there's that.

I knew we would find a way of snatching a draw from the mouth of victory. It has always been the case watching Ireland for the past 10 years.

Missed the match, could someone sum it up for me in the form of a haiku?

We went one nil up
    Then we sat back forever
    Thank god for Daryl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

SlickRic wrote: »
    Ahead against Sweden. Into our shell. Drop points.

Ahead against France. Into our shell. Lose.

Ahead against Serbia. Into our shell. Drop points.

The lads are capable. MON is getting plenty right. But he's blatantly telling the team to be ultra conservative when winning, and giving them licence to play at the start of games plus when we're behind.

It's a clear flaw in his management, and he got away with it tonight.

You know we did this a lot of times under McCarthy, Kerr, Staunton and Trap. It hasn't been a new development with MoN

O'Neill talking ****e. Why is he on such big wages when he comes up with load of bollocks.

walter mitty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Only 67 behind now is Murphy #plentyoftime

Martin O Neill patronising from a height.

Such an awful but not surprising interview.

If ever you were in doubt about his mindset, you shouldn't be after that.

"It's difficult. These Serbians play in big big leagues" --- So do ours MON.

"France is gone... What else do you expect?" --- I would have expected the same spirit and tactics you employed that made a nation excited to watch you for a start.

FFS.

adox wrote: »
    Martin O Neill patronising from a height.

Such an awful but not surprising interview.

If ever you were in doubt about his mindset, you shouldn't be after that.

I particularly enjoyed the finger-wagging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

MON talking absolute wire there in the interview.

Strange game.

That_Guy wrote: »
    "It's difficult. These Serbians play in big big leagues" --- So do ours MON.

"France is gone... What else do you expect?" --- I would have expected the same spirit and tactics you employed that made a nation excited to watch you for a start.

FFS.

France wasn't even that great, let's be honest. A win against a disinterested Italy aside, was there really much else to celebrate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

edgecutter wrote: »
    O'Neill talking ****e. Why is he on such big wages when he comes up with load of bollocks.

Gotta agree O'Neill is essentially Trap all over again no belief whatsoever we need a new approach maybe super John Delaney could step in and manage horrid set up all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

All round terrible performance the team couldn't pass the ball on the grass at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Awful game. Typical Irish performance. We should bang in an og at the start of every game so the fact that we're behind spurs us on to actually play. We can't deal with being in front. Thoughts on the peno? Soft one imo, but given how the ref had been, surely the players would be savvy enough to be careful around the box? Am I over simplifying it?

France wasn't even that great, let's be honest. A win against a disinterested Italy aside, was there really much else to celebrate?

It's been the best thing Irish football has had in a long long time.

Belgium game aside we had an enjoyable run and it was nice to actually enjoy Ireland again. It was an opportunity to really kick on but we haven't based on that shíte tonight.

Awful game. Typical Irish performance. We should bang in an og at the start of every game so the fact that we're behind spurs us on to actually play. We can't deal with being in front. Thoughts on the peno? Soft one imo, but given how the ref had been, surely the players would be savvy enough to be careful around the box? Am I over simplifying it?

There was no contact whatsoever, nothing our defender could have done about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement