Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Qualifier- Ireland vs Serbia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Randolph MOTM??? T'fúck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Darren Randolph.................. a many of many saves but few words!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Arghus wrote: »
    MON talking absolute wire there in the interview.

Strange game.

What's worse is O'Neill is in the changing room congratulating the team for getting a point. Any other manager would be going in there disappointed about throwing away a glorious opportunity.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Very abrupt finish to RTE's coverage.

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's been the best thing Irish football has had in a long long time.

Belgium game aside we had an enjoyable run and it was nice to actually enjoy Ireland again. It was an opportunity to really kick on but we haven't based on that shíte tonight.

Enjoyable at best sums it up for me, but it did get the nation excited I suppose

Missed the match, could someone sum it up for me in the form of a haiku?

basically a suicide circus.............:D

A kamikaze pilot who forgot to take his helmet off and survived!

Enjoyable at best sums it up for me, but it did get the nation excited I suppose

We were never going to win the bloody thing but we more than held our own against Sweden, Italy and France.

Should have been the catalyst but MON seems to think that progression doesn't matter and seems to be going back to the beginning.

Frustrating.

---

Even Darragh Maloney can't hack the Randolph MOTM nonsense so just ends the program. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Randolph got MOTM, made some quality saves but also made some terrible mistakes. Not sure who else could have gotten it though. Maybe Coleman and Brady put in some quality deliveries but no one really stood out

siblers wrote: »
    Randolph got MOTM, made some quality saves but also made some terrible mistakes. Not sure who else could have gotten it though. Maybe Coleman but no one else stands out.

Coleman had a stinker all in all! I would honestly give it to Quinn or Murphy if it wasn't for Randolph!

Joking aside, Quinn might start next game, he was a positive influence when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The fallacy of it being the managers fault that players don't show for the ball or look to take responsibility when the opposition push for a goal is hard to take. We could put Pep Guardiola in charge and I guarantee you we'd still resort to type when the opposition push their wing backs up and close down higher up the pitch. Players not taking personal responsibility is the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When Randolph got MOTM trophy, he promptly booted it to the other end of the Stadium :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

corny wrote: »
    The fallacy of it being the managers fault that players don't show for the ball or look to take responsibility when the opposition push for a goal is hard to take. We could put Pep Guardiola in charge and I guarantee you we'd still resort to type when the opposition push their wing backs up and close down higher up the pitch. Players not taking personal responsibility is the issue.
    And just how long do you think a player who goes against what his manager says is going to last in the side?

This wasn't a once off, it's clear that MON wants the side to play that way, he doesn't trust them to go for a game over the course of 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

A truly awful performance, how we got away out of there with a point is beyond me, the defence was shambolic at best but a point away from home is a great start just a shame the performance was so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Missed the match, could someone sum it up for me in the form of a haiku?

A deflected goal
    Then Ireland are terrible
    Ireland play they score

corny wrote: »

O'Neill has the power to change it and bring players into the fold who want to show for the ball and want to play it around and keep a bit of composure in the middle of the pitch.

It's obvious that this is the way he wants to play and is limiting us a team.

He's not the first one to play in this way and there has been no overhaul in thinking of how we can improve and balance our play.

It's the same shíte with a different fella in charge.

O'Neill is a more respected name from his achievements in the past but he was a bang average manager when he was appointed and there has been very little sign of real progression under him.

We have had a decent few results and got big scalps along the way but he hasn't built on it.

I don't know if it's because he just doesn't like the players in the wings or because he just doesn't the have the knowledge in how to change his tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

siblers wrote: »
    Randolph got MOTM, made some quality saves but also made some terrible mistakes. Not sure who else could have gotten it though. Maybe Coleman and Brady put in some quality deliveries but no one really stood out

Colemans positioning is awful. does well when the defence is properly set and just has to react but his awareness is non existent. Tonight was one of his poorer displays, Ward was a lot more dependable on the opposite side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very hard to be optimistic about that draw in reality. Not sure why people are saying 'get the f in' etc. . We will be at nothing in these qualifiers.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Very hard to be optimistic about that draw in reality. Not sure why people are saying 'get the f in' etc. . We will be at nothing in these qualifiers.

I roared my head off for that goal. It was mainly due to a release of sheer frustration as to what came beforehand.

The crap tactics, the penalty that shouldn't have been etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Effectually our formation was 4-5-1.

That's the way they were told to play, try not to loose the game and hope we can get something from corners or free kicks.

MON will be happy with a point from our opening game, it could have been worse but we got away with it.

Their two wing backs had the freedom of the park.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Coleman shouldn't have played tonight, he was way off the pace. Even his best moment with the goal line clearance came from him being 5 yards off the defensive line pushing out.

We really need him to regain some form in the next few months as he's has had a poor year for us. I'd have Christie starting in his place until he's back close to his best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

callaway92 wrote: »

As poor as the performance was we're in a group that will be wide open, if we can somehow steal a few more results like this away from home we'll have a great chance at qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't know who to call MOTM but it definitely wasn't Randolph. Didn't deal too well with the testing conditions, could have been caught out a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Tadic was MOTM,this ****e of having an Irish MOTM every game does my head in,especially in games like this. One of the worst displays i"ve ever witnessed:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think the problem is o neill doesn't trust our players who want the ball like wes and quinn to also do the defensive side of the game and you have to see some sense in that.

Seems the thinking is that most international teams are pretty poor and if he gets 11 guys on the pitch that are physical and will graft then we might get a moment of skill out of the blue or a set piece that will win us the game.

Im not saying I agree with it but trapatoni, o neill and obviously keane seem to think its the only way this irish team can play. Yes we have proven in spells in games that we can play football but does anyone think we can get the RESULTS that we have been getting by playing out from defence and passing it through teams more technically gifted than us? ( which like it or not even lower ranked teams are )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Well that was piss poor to watch. Would have been happy with a draw beforehand but the way things transpired.... Fck sake. Lumping it up to long all night. We were shocking from the moment we went in front. Why is it that no Irish team in the last ten years can actually not be afraid to build on what we've started and go on and win a game? We sat back for seventy minutes and lamped aimless balls to long all night. I thought o Neill and Keane were brought in to get rid of the trap way of playing? Trap got lambasted for the hit and hope routine, but apart from few games, I've seen the exact same from this Irish team. Id nearly bring back mc Carthy ffs. The best football I've seen Ireland play was under him. MC clean and Whelan need to be fcked out too. Two absolute passengers. It's beyond me how the both of them have made careers for themselves. Not a football brain between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tadic was MOTM,this ****e of having an Irish MOTM every game does my head in,especially in games like this. One of the worst displays i"ve ever witnessed:(:(

I'm sorry, Cyprus 5-2, snatching a last minute win against San Marino, this is no where near one of our worst performances. People need to get their heads out of the sky, Serbia away was never going to be a game in which we would dominate possession. Yes we were below par, but we hung in there and when we went behind we showed great bottle to claw level again. We'll take it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Wouldn't be too downbeat. History shows that a lot of what O'Neill is saying is true, re: things improving as a campaign goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd have taken a point before the game but it's so annoying to not be able to hold on to a lead once again. Yet again retreating into a shell after scoring.

I know it happens to a lot of teams outside the big boys from time to time, but the frequency it happens with O'Neill's Ireland side is frustrating.

Calling that display "brilliant" and saying "I don't know what else we were expecting" is an insult too, but he's right on one thing - as soon as we scored I was expecting us to start defending on the edge of our own box.

Anyway, a point would have to go down as a good result and at the end of the day that's what really matters, not performances.

We move on.

newbbieb wrote: »
    Think the likes of Ireland and England should be having a look at Wales and what can be achieved with a good manager setting the team up to play right and pass the ball.

Unfortunately Martin O'Neill was never a master of quality passing football.

You're right in what ya say with Wales and Coleman... But they have one world class player in bale and are off the back of an amazing euros. ... For me ...what strachen has done at Scotland stands to what we want to do. I don't know how they didn't qualify ahead of us the last campaign. (It was the Georgia results but anyway..) He's done a fantastic job with them and encourages them to play ball. I watched them home and away against Germany and Poland and they were outstanding. They went toe to toe with those teams and were so unlucky not to qualify. Hes been at the.helm of Scotland the same time as we've had O'Neill in charge of us, yet the Scotland psyche and gameplan has changed from hoof, to get it down and play ball. Just what we wanted but have rarely got. He trusts his players to back themselves and show what they can do...we just revert to type time and time again. It's fcking disheartening to see the same ****e over and over again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    You're right in what ya say with Wales and Coleman... But they have one world class player in bale and are off the back of an amazing euros. ... For me ...what strachen has done at Scotland stands to what we want to do. I don't know how they didn't qualify ahead of us the last campaign. (It was the Georgia results but anyway..) He's done a fantastic job with them and encourages them to play ball. I watched them home and away against Germany and Poland and they were outstanding. They went toe to toe with those teams and were so unlucky not to qualify. Hes been at the.helm of Scotland the same time as we've had O'Neill in charge of us, yet the Scotland psyche and gameplan has changed from hoof, to get it down and play ball. Just what we wanted but have rarely got. He trusts his players to back themselves and show what they can do...we just revert to type time and time again. It's fcking disheartening to see the same ****e over and over again .

MON would argue (and with some justification) that he got his team to France whereas Strachan finished the group way off the pace and were on the beach while we went to the Euros.

Not disagreeing with you at all btw, but that's the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That was a classic from George: 'It's not a Ricochet it's a John O'Shea'.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    MON would argue (and with some justification) that he got his team to France whereas Strachan finished the group way off the pace and were on the beach while we went to the Euros.

Not disagreeing with you at all btw, but that's the reality.

Definitely. The means justify the ends when it comes to qualification. But as a foundation for what he wants to do I think strachan was been brilliant for Scotland. Poland needed a last minute equaliser against them whereas we needed a last minute equaliser against Poland. But that's football! Could have been a whole lot different.
    But in terms of setting out a game plan of this is it, this is our identity, this is how we're gonna play, strachan has done a much better job.
    What exactly is O'Neill and Keane's identity for this team? Is it just the usual ...character, effort, 110%, lump it to longie ... Or is there an actual long term plan in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thought Hendrick was absolutely invisible tonight, his gait around the pitch makes you think he's quite slow and then when you see him run to tackle you realise he's not too far away from that. Their midfield just buzzed around ours tonight and we were inept at any sort of breaking up. Coleman just continued on his Euro's form as well, way off the pace and a part of the team they began to target as the game went on.

The best half time score for an Irish time is either 0-0 or 5-0 up, any other score in between and you fear the traditional retreating back and eventually conceding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All I can say is that was every bit as bad as Austria in 2013.

A shambles of a performance and one that lies solely with O Neill to blame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pretty rotten performance but probably not a bad result overall. The Serbs despite not being great themselves probably won't lose very many at home especially when they get a few more players back like Matic and Kolarov. Think it's far from certain that the likes of Wales and Austria win over there. Beat Georgia at home and things will look a lot rosier. Hopefully we play a bit more football in that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Terrible performance.

Austria and Wales have nothing to fear from us.

Depends really. Ireland played well for about 15 minutes and hit the net three times in that period (between the penalty and equaliser and first three minutes of the game) and scored twice.

They played awfully for 75 minutes and conceded twice and could've easily been more.

It's all about their attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Corholio wrote: »
    Coleman just continued on his Euro's form as well, way off the pace and a part of the team they began to target as the game went on.

I thought Coleman was good in the Euros, good v Sweden, Italy, and did OK mostly v France. Nobody was great v Belgium.

On last night, agree with most posters above, we really didn't keep the ball well enough. We needed to pay with responsibility, as Keane spoke about before. Look for the ball even you don't want it. We gave it away too cheaply too often.

Maybe the pitch didn't help, but it does seem to be a recurring theme with us.
    Belgium in the Euros, Bosnia away, Scotland away and others - keep handing it back to the opposition.

It couldn't really be a tactic. We effectively had 5 in midfield and simply couldn't get a grip on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Shocking performance......... if it truly is MON not trusting his players to send them out and play (not play) this way then shame on him.

Oh and let's move on from 'chewing gum man' in midfield.

Gimme Quinn or Arter any day over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Did we really have any other option on a greasy pitch that had more divots than a public golf course on a Sunday morning, than to play long ball when we went ahead?

I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed watching Stephen Ward trying to beat a man and thread the eye of the needle to Glen Whelan in those circumstances.

1-0 up away from home in a hostile place in the pissings of rain I think Hail Mary wasn't the worst option.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Did we really have any other option on a greasy pitch that had more divots than a public golf course on a Sunday morning, than to play long ball when we went ahead?

I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed watching Stephen Ward trying to beat a man and thread the eye of the needle to Glen Whelan in those circumstances.

1-0 up away from home in a hostile place in the pissings of rain I think Hail Mary wasn't the worst option.

Jesus ****ing christ

Nobody, but nobody is expecting us to play like Brazil or Real Madrid or Barcelona.

Its hoof the ball up to nobody. Players cant even string 2 passes together. Its sit back and defend defend defend for 85 minutes once we go in front.

Its the same crap over and over and over.

You can forgive if it was once off, but this is spread through the team since Euro 2000 days and if anything getting worse.

No plan B, no organisation. No attempt to least take breather for the defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I don't get people saying we couldn't pass it about because of the state of the pitch, Serbia were passing it around if they could do it we could do it. Also the defending was terrible, Randolph reminded me of Barthez when he was with Utd. Just didn't trust him at all.

Overall i though Ireland were awful but i expect much better performances at home and i'm not giving up hope just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't get people saying we couldn't pass it about because of the state of the pitch, Serbia were passing it around if they could do it we could do it. Also the defending was terrible, Randolph reminded me of Barthez when he was with Utd. Just didn't trust him at all.

Overall i though Ireland were awful but i expect much better performances at home and i'm not giving up hope just yet!

Agree with pretty much all of that but I hope for better performances at home rather than expect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Let's be honest, Serbia could have easily put another two away, and as ever Ireland did show some positive attitude when they went behind, but what a rotten time to have to show it.

You'd hope this is just the team finding its legs at the start of the season, but it's not a performance that will build any great confidence and it's not a performance that will engender any trust in the manager towards his team. To an extent I can understand that it was an away game in a hostile atmosphere on a miserable rainy night on a pitch that looked the aftermath of Ypres, but it was still a game there to be won and I think the work not done now will pile up towards the end of the campaign and be a bridge too far to cross for WC qualification. It'll be 16 years since the team was last there come 2018.

I will say that the Serbian penalty was a clear dive, but that's football, and Ireland would never have gotten a second goal if Serbia hadn't gone in front, just would have holed up and tried to hang on. We all know that.

Not that I enjoy being pessimistic, but I can't see Ireland taking too many points off of group rivals if they carry on playing like they did last night. Scratch that, I can't see them taking any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I hate being negative, especially about individual players but I just have to comment on the Irish Times giving Seamus Coleman an 8 out of 10 rating. What rating would he have got if he hadn't played his man inside for the first goal before running away from him, then there was his foul throw (!!!!) in the lead up to the second goal and finally, his resurrection of the "fly goalie" role that shocked Ivanovic so much he couldn't shoot straight.

Personally I love Coleman as a player but talk of him as captain must be frying his brain. I genuinely think he is trying too hard to be everywhere and everything on the pitch.

Oh and Harry Arter does what Glen Whelan does and then adds forward passing and forward running. And he clearly wants to play. So ****ing play him.

To put our performance into perspective, Lichtenstein attempted over 60 more passes then us and had a 10% better pass success success rate then us. Fair enough, we got a point, and they got stuffed 8-0, but are we saying they have technically better players then us, as they played probably Top 3 side in Europe.

stats were from onefootball site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To put our performance into perspective, Lichtenstein attempted over 60 more passes then us and had a 10% better pass success success rate then us. Fair enough, we got a point, and they got stuffed 8-0, but are we saying they have technically better players then us, as they played probably Top 3 side in Europe.

stats were from onefootball site.

I really don't think those stats mean anything or put anything into perspective. Each match is its own animal.

Spain play a high pressure game and much better then Serbia.

Lichtenstein are very weak side by international standards was able do basics better then Ireland

The scorelines in a way speak for themselves, but it shows how poor we lose the ball.

That means something when you have not beaten a higher ranked seed or side away from home in 29 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I hate being negative, especially about individual players but I just have to comment on the Irish Times giving Seamus Coleman an 8 out of 10 rating. What rating would he have got if he hadn't played his man inside for the first goal before running away from him, then there was his foul throw (!!!!) in the lead up to the second goal and finally, his resurrection of the "fly goalie" role that shocked Ivanovic so much he couldn't shoot straight.

Personally I love Coleman as a player but talk of him as captain must be frying his brain. I genuinely think he is trying too hard to be everywhere and everything on the pitch.

Oh and Harry Arter does what Glen Whelan does and then adds forward passing and forward running. And he clearly wants to play. So ****ing play him.

On Coleman, its his first minutes of the season.

On Whelan, whom I make no qualms about defending, he has been an everpresent since 2009 and helped us get to three play-offs and two Championships. I don't think he played well on Monday mind, nobody did, but the same criticisms are thrown out about him even after he plays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Watched the highlights last night on ITV4 interesting to get an outside view of the game, they thought Ireland deserved a draw and came back well to equalise in a tough away game played on a poor pitch in hostile conditions. The same opinion as meself but different to that of Dunphy and 95% of the punters on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

patmac wrote: »
    Watched the highlights last night on ITV4 interesting to get an outside view of the game, they thought Ireland deserved a draw and came back well to equalise in a tough away game played on a poor pitch in hostile conditions. The same opinion as meself but different to that of Dunphy and 95% of the punters on here.

Well, Serbia had two gilt edged chances on goal, and had the lion's share of the possession. Had they been able to take those, they wouldn't have even needed that blatant dive in order to win the game.

It was rainy, it was (a bit) hostile and the pitch was terrible, but that didn't seem to stop the Serbs playing a few passes, and when Ireland went behind, the team was able to rally. However, what we're blue in the face saying is that if Ireland had have played with a similar positive attitude for spells when they were actually leading, they could have come away with a win. Not asking them to hammer the Serbs for 90 minutes non-stop, just getting on the ball in order to relieve defensive pressure. It's the type of result I think Ireland will end up ruing, come September 2017, to be honest. Have to grab these things by the scruff if they want to prove themselves worthy of WC qualification.

Advertisement