Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Qualifier- Ireland vs Serbia

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

briany wrote: »
    Well, Serbia had two gilt edged chances on goal, and had the lion's share of the possession. Had they been able to take those, they wouldn't have even needed that blatant dive in order to win the game.

It was rainy, it was (a bit) hostile and the pitch was terrible, but that didn't seem to stop the Serbs playing a few passes, and when Ireland went behind, the team was able to rally. However, what we're blue in the face saying is that if Ireland had have played with a similar positive attitude for spells when they were actually leading, they could have come away with a win. Not asking them to hammer the Serbs for 90 minutes non-stop, just getting on the ball in order to relieve defensive pressure. It's the type of result I think Ireland will end up ruing, come September 2017, to be honest. Have to grab these things by the scruff if they want to prove themselves worthy of WC qualification.
    I hear what you say, I just don't have as high an expectation of the National side as some people do, we are a small nation and we are not very good, 4 players with little or no game time, a reserve keeper, a few championship players, feckin miracle we got a draw.
    We have very little chance of topping the group and less than 50% chance of 2nd.
    We'll be confined to the odd euro's appearance and WC appearances will be few and far between, results like this should be enjoyed not slated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

patmac wrote: »
    Watched the highlights last night on ITV4 interesting to get an outside view of the game, they thought Ireland deserved a draw and came back well to equalise in a tough away game played on a poor pitch in hostile conditions. The same opinion as meself but different to that of Dunphy and 95% of the punters on here.

Thats why you have a different view to 95% of people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I hear what you say, I just don't have as high an expectation of the National side as some people do, we are a small nation and we are not very good, 4 players with little or no game time, a reserve keeper, a few championship players, feckin miracle we got a draw.
    We have very little chance of topping the group and less than 50% chance of 2nd.
    We'll be confined to the odd euro's appearance and WC appearances will be few and far between, results like this should be enjoyed not slated.

Miracle? It would have been so if Ireland had played like they did for 80 or so minutes all throughout, but they were able to show they had the game to get a goal when they needed one. It wasn't a fluke, it wasn't diving for a penalty, but a high quality header after a sustained period of pressure.

If Ireland are so useless, how were they able to give France (and Sweden and Italy) a game in the Euros? Dominate the first half? Lead for 50 minutes? That shouldn't be the story of the also-ran but of a team who can compete. What's so frustrating is that we get these all-too-rare glimpses into what the team can play like when they have a bit of courage and belief, and it's wonderful. For a minute it's like brilliant technicolour before the inevitable crash back to gritty, bleak monochrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

While Coleman hadnt a great game,he did clear of the line once in each half and was a major reason why we managed a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

While Coleman hadnt a great game,he did clear of the line once in each half and was a major reason why we managed a draw

he was the reason he had to clear in second half! Amateur hour stuff playing them onside!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

briany wrote: »
    Miracle? It would have been so if Ireland had played like they did for 80 or so minutes all throughout, but they were able to show they had the game to get a goal when they needed one. It wasn't a fluke, it wasn't diving for a penalty, but a high quality header after a sustained period of pressure.

If Ireland are so useless, how were they able to give France (and Sweden and Italy) a game in the Euros? Dominate the first half? Lead for 50 minutes? That shouldn't be the story of the also-ran but of a team who can compete. What's so frustrating is that we get these all-too-rare glimpses into what the team can play like when they have a bit of courage and belief, and it's wonderful. For a minute it's like brilliant technicolour before the inevitable crash back to gritty, bleak monochrome.

Maybe that's because we're not that good and these glimpses of good play are the exception.

Italy weren't bothered so far too much is read into that perfromance and Sweden are sh1te and did we really dominate against France? I thought we held our own rather than dominated against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Maybe that's because we're not that good and these glimpses of good play are the exception.

Italy weren't bothered so far too much is read into that perfromance and Sweden are sh1te and did we really dominate against France? I thought we held our own rather than dominated against them.

Italy were bothered.

They players that did play were absolutely bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

noodler wrote: »
    Italy were bothered.

They players that did play were absolutely bothered.

Not sure about that, they knew they were through and they were never going to give it 100%.Also it wasn't even Italy's first choice team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dundalk surely have to have a few players called up. At least they pass the ball and try and keep it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Thats why you have a different view to 95% of people
    Eh, I watched the match live as well just wanted a less jaundiced view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh, I watched the match live as well just wanted a less jaundiced view.

I wouldn't call an Irish fan's view jaundiced (well most of them anyway!), it was as clear as day how the game materialised.

I am not even sure if the panelists watched the whole game, but merely the highlights, as like all highlights shows but even with the benefit of doubt given to them to blame the the pitch and "hostile nature" (was it even that hostile and why would that cause them to play as they did?? Sure the stadium wasn't even a fifth of its capacity full, think about 8,000 attended in a 55,000 stadium!! Their fans are barely turning up to the games and are booing their own players. It should be us who are delighted with the atmosphere) excusory factors is soft analysis.
    Yes , a sodden turf will prevent smooth intricate passing on the ground and eventually players will tire quicker but it doesn't prevent endeavour in pushing forward and actually getting the ball out of your own half, running at the opposition, calming things down in the central areas or getting close to the opposition and preventing them from getting balls into the box in their own time.

A point away to Serbia is a great point on paper and other teams will struggle to get anything more in Belgrade but our performance was very poor and mainly because we know we are better than that. We are not a great team but we are a fair bit better than that.

Thats a poor Serbian team, given their past teams,but they dominated us (and we played the game into their hands by sitting in the final third and inviting them onto us. )
    On a wet pitch if you attack with the ball at your feet you are more often than not going to get the better of your man as its very difficult to stand up or time your tackle so just like you seen when we attacked, the defence will lose its shape and players will back off you. So games like this the best form of defence is attack, try and not let them have the ball in the final third, step the line up etc etc.

Ireland, whether by instruction or instinct done quite the opposite. I know Serbia had to attack from really early on but that could have played into our hands if we broke quick and ran at them.
    I think Walters should have been taken off at half time, even earlier. Game didnt suit him at all. When Quinn emerged he showed initiative.

Apart from Long and McClean we lack a lot of pace going forward and that needs to be rectified also.

All in all, I just think we are much better than that and like the Georgia game with McGeady's heroics that point will be vital come next Autumn so need to be positive. With no logic or reason, maybe blind faith, I believe this may be a good thing that we coughed up a lot of phlegm early in the campaign and there is time to rectify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wales would have beaten Serbia the other night. Now Serbia may have been missing their best 2 players (arguably) but if Serbia miss a couple the time they come around to playing Wales or Austria in Belgrade the away team can get a win, never mind a draw

Advertisement