Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drivers Swerving at Cyclists

Options
  • 05-09-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭

On Friday I was going through Drumcondra on my usual cycle home. A car pulled out without indicating and appeared not to see me so I shouted out so he didn't hit me. He stopped and I continued on for him to rev his engine and drive at me but he actually hit a cyclist behind me with his wing mirror. He then preceded to drive very close revving his engine before joining back into the traffic.
    Now I am sure people will question who was in the right but it really is besides the point. I made no contact with his car but he was certainly threatening me with his car. It isn't the first time it has happened to me but I have seen more people do it.

Is it just me? What should you do in the situation or immediately afterwards?

MOd note on post #81

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    On Friday I was going through Drumcondra on my usual cycle home. A car pulled out without indicating and appeared not to see me so I shouted out so he didn't hit me. He stopped and I continued on for him to rev his engine and drive at me but he actually hit a cyclist behind me with his wing mirror. He then preceded to drive very close revving his engine before joining back into the traffic.
    Now I am sure people will question who was in the right but it really is besides the point. I made no contact with his car but he was certainly threatening me with his car. It isn't the first time it has happened to me but I have seen more people do it.

Take the number, bring it immediately to the nearest garda station and make a report. Then go and buy a helmet cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

This is when one of those cameras on the helmet would come in handy.

(beat me to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Chuchote wrote: »
    Take the number, bring it immediately to the nearest garda station and make a report. Then go and buy a helmet cam.

Does anything actual happen? Dual cam helmet ordered and the old camera is going on the new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

IME traffic watch is the way to go.

I have had 3 very positive experiences with them and find the Gardai follow up very quickly once T.W get onto to them.

Does anything actual happen? Dual cam helmet ordered and the old camera is going on the new bike

If you report behaviour that could kill, I'd imagine they'd follow it up, if they had the licence plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

On the coast road from courtown to Ballygarrett yesterday, riding solo, a guy driving towards me in a fck off audi jeep started to blow the horn non stop and giving me the index finger, . I didn't know him from Adam.
    Nice of him to warn me that he only has an I Q of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Mobius Cam, velcroed to helmet. You can't beat it for value, quality of the video, and battery life, which the latest iterations have is about 2 hours and 20 mins, which is more than enough for a commute, unless you are a cycling legend!

The GUI is exceptional too. Auto updates time/date!

Sample footage below, which was made to show clarity of signage/no plates etc. Using VLC player frame by frame. you'd be surprised at the detail you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Mobius Cam, velcroed to helmet. You can't beat it for value, quality of the video, and battery life, which the latest iterations have is about 2 hours and 20 mins, which is more than enough for a commute, unless you are a cycling legend!

The GUI is exceptional too. Auto updates time/date!

Sample footage below, which was made to show clarity of signage/no plates etc. Using VLC player frame by frame. you'd be surprised at the detail you can get.

Is it this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobius-1080P-Action-Camera-Recorder/dp/B00FQFO1O0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

So glad I picked up a Fly 6 & Fly 12 when they were on kickstarter. Lots of bad driving these days and I'm glad I have something that might cover me in the event of a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Something like this happened me yesterday. Car coming from behind tried to undertake me while I was turning right on a roundabout. Not happy with that he then tried to overtake me as I exited but bollards prevented him completing it. He then drove along side me and tried to squeeze me into / towards the kerb. Finally, he overtook me with bare minimum space given with the pedal to the floor and another roundabout just ahead. All this for a few seconds delay? My only contribution to this was being perceived as delaying him!

I am sick and tired of the aggression and impatience of some motorists. Going to report the driver - not hopeful anything will be done about it. My word versus his lies no doubt, and with no record to substantiate dangerous driving, not much they can do but have a word! Fly6 is certainly on the buy list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SteM wrote: »
    So glad I picked up a Fly 6 & Fly 12 when they were on kickstarter. Lots of bad driving these days and I'm glad I have something that might cover me in the event of a dispute.
    What's the battery life like on the Fly 6/12 and does the light go dead when the camera does?

Presumably at night the quality is poor or non-existant when headlights are directed on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

What's the battery life like on the Fly 6/12 and does the light go dead when the camera does?

Presumably at night the quality is poor or non-existant when headlights are directed on it?

The battery on the newer fly 12 is much better than the fly 6 but I've had the 6 much longer. The light goes dead when the camera does, the good thing about fly 12 is you can turn the camera on without turning the light on so that's handy during the summer. The fly 6 defaults to a very bright light as soon as you turn it on but it can be turned down so it's not intense and that saves on battery life. Get about 60km from the fly 12 and half that from the fly 6. That depends on the light intensity I'm using though.

Haven't looked at night footage to be honest, might test it tomorrow. Would imagine it's the same with most cameras and they'll struggle with headlights shined on them at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

I had 2 cars purposely close pass myself and my dad while out on a spin last week - and had another driver shout abuse for not being in an off road cycle lane, while we were cycling in the bus lane. The Audi in the video very nearly hit me...feel like reporting to the Gardaí but not sure if anything will be done about it.

https://youtu.be/7dCt3DgFh0k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Ginger83

LpPepper wrote: »
    I had 2 cars purposely close pass myself and my dad while out on a spin last week - and had another driver shout abuse for not being in an off road cycle lane, while we were cycling in the bus lane. The Audi in the video very nearly hit me...feel like reporting to the Gardaí but not sure if anything will be done about it.

https://youtu.be/7dCt3DgFh0k

Report that driver! I reported a clown that ran us off the road a while back (we were in our car), the driver is going to be prosecuted for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Make a traffic watch report, forward them that link. TW follow up with the local seargent(?) and I can't see how that's anything other than driving without due care and attention.

Wonded what TW would have said about this one though.

Edit: BBcode is breaking itself...
    Edit2: Damn auto shortening YT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I presume you are talking about the driver here ?

Edit: Where did the post I was replying to go ?

Edit 2: Its back (below)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Ray Palmer wrote:

Stop and say "sorry" followed by a polite "are you ok?" Would reduce the insinuation to cause further road rage later on from your abusive shouting probably, as it sounds like it your initial reaction caused a domino effect to create road rage for another cyclist later on.
    And remember kids the laws on helmcams, you still need written consent of the photographed or videoed person before presenting for legal processing

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

secman wrote: »
    On the coast road from courtown to Ballygarrett yesterday, riding solo, a guy driving towards me in a fck off audi jeep started to blow the horn non stop and giving me the index finger, . I didn't know him from Adam.
    Nice of him to warn me that he only has an I Q of one.

I've had a couple of situations in the last 6 months where, in each case on a fairly narrow road, someone driving in the opposite direction deliberately came towards me before veering back to their own side of the road. Had me wondering what (if anything) goes through the heads of people who behave like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

hytrogen wrote: »
    Stop and say "sorry" followed by a polite "are you ok?" Would reduce the insinuation to cause further road rage later on from your abusive shouting probably, as it sounds like it your initial reaction caused a domino effect to create road rage for another cyclist later on.

Are you for real?! You automatically do three things in this situation: Slam on the brakes, yell, and hope you come out the other side in one piece. The OP has no reason to apologise. The driver on the other hand, deserves to have the book thrown at them. You make a mistake, apologise, and move on when safe to do so. You do not drive in the manner as indicated by the OP (we were not there, and only have their account).

As for the helmet cam thing - I had a very near miss with a taxi on Sunday. I waved down a passing cycle Garda, who calmed me down, had a chat with me, but acknowledged that without GoPro footage, reporting it becomes very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

hytrogen wrote: »
    And remember kids the laws on helmcams, you still need written consent of the photographed or videoed person before presenting for legal processing
    No you don't. If it's in a public area it's perfectly legal to video or photograph anyone - including Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Orion wrote: »
    No you don't. If it's in a public area it's perfectly legal to video or photograph anyone - including Gardai.

With the small caveat of not obstructing or interfering with garda business (don't be tool).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

[/quote]And remember kids the laws on helmcams, you still need written consent of the photographed or videoed person before presenting for legal processing[/quote]

This is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ED E wrote: »
    With the small caveat of not obstructing or interfering with garda business (don't be tool).

Absolutely. Taking photos/videos or not doesn't give you the right to interfere with gardai. But you can still video them without getting in the way of their duties.

You can also use video or photography in a private place unless the property owner denies or limits such permission (limits e.g. flash photography etc). Even if not limited on entry if they say stop you must stop or they can insist you leave.

But in a public area - such as a public road you can video all you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Happened to a friend of mine in Renelagh a couple of year ago, who got knocked off, and also just happened to be an active heavyweight full contact fighter on the European circuit at the time. His approach was to haul the guy out of the car at the lights, throw on the bonnet, and ask him what he thought he playing at. Bit of an over-reaction maybe but very entertaining all the same. Personally I'd try to just get the reg and pass it onto the Gardaí, but more likely end up hurling a stream of loud expletives and not getting around to following it up properly. Times I have followed up with the Gardaí (once had a bottle thrown at me from a car, once whacked with a coat hanger from a passing car), Gardaí have been very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ED E wrote: »
    Make a traffic watch report, forward them that link. TW follow up with the local seargent(?) and I can't see how that's anything other than driving without due care and attention.

Wonded what TW would have said about this one though.

Edit: BBcode is breaking itself...
    Edit2: Damn auto shortening YT!

"you're blocking the bus lane".

You might be a fat fecker, but you're no fecking bus, Garda.

"you're blocking the bus lane".

You might be a fat fecker, but you're no fecking bus, Garda.

Kind of strange that a garda doesn't know that cyclists are a legal part of bus lane traffic. Was this really a garda?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Deedsie wrote: »
    I don't think any of that is remotely true or accurate.
    i have heard several theories about the law relating to cameras/CCTV.
    one was a colleague who installed a home security system, and a neighbour warned him that without CCTV warning signs, it would be considered entrapment to record someone breaking into his house.

i have heard several theories about the law relating to cameras/CCTV.
    one was a colleague who installed a home security system, and a neighbour warned him that without CCTV warning signs, it would be considered entrapment to record someone breaking into his house.

Was this neighbour a lawyer?

Surely 'entrapment' means actually luring someone into committing a crime, like the felon-setting of the 19th century, when coppers would join the Fenians, persuade these poor idiots that it was a good idea to blow up the House of Commons, and then they'd all be arrested?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Was this neighbour a lawyer?
    certainly not that i'm aware. i didn't mean to imply that the above claim was true, but that opinions on the legality of such things are ten a penny, and more often than not untrue, i'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm not sure if it differs from a domestic situation but at work, we are required to have signage in place indicating that CCTV is in operation. During a regulatory inspection a few years ago, it was pointed out that one of the signs was absent and we were required to replace it immediately.

Advertisement