Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sore bum!

• 05-09-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Any tips on a very sore bum on a 4 week old.

We've done nappy off time, tried creams, powders, just water, but nothing has worked so far, any ideas??? It's heartbreaking seeing a little blood on the broken skin.

Could it be the brand of milk he's on??? Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Staplor wrote: »
    Hi All,

Any tips on a very sore bum on a 4 week old.

We've done nappy off time, tried creams, powders, just water, but nothing has worked so far, any ideas??? It's heartbreaking seeing a little blood on the broken skin.

Could it be the brand of milk he's on??? Any tips appreciated.

Try canestan 1%, when my lad had a really sore bum it was fungal and the canestan worked immediately, after trying every cream & treatment going. The canestan even has a pic of a baby's bum on it, I never knew it was for nappy rash
    Edit: misread your post, didn't realise he was so young. Check with the pharmacist/gp before using canestan on such a young baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bring them to the doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Heading to the doc tomorrow, just wondering if there's anything I can do in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭minibear

I found Caldesene Spray really good. It would clear up nappy rash overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 missvicky

I've used spirlon spray after using all the others found it fantastic cleared it right up in 1 or 2 sprays. You can get it in any pharmacy just ask at the counter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would talk to the pharmacist .
    Candescence powder is brilliant .
    One of mine needed Canesten for horrendous nappy rash and it cleared up in days .
    Drapolene is a brilliant cream too ,my last child was prone to it and the cream worked wonders .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I always found the best thing to do was leave them without the nappy. For as long a stretch as you can.

Silcoks (sp) base is very good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Calendula cream. It's available from Nelson's and other health food shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi our littlest one had terrible nappy rash due to a condition she had. Orabase was best by a country mile

Spirlon spray has been applied. Will let you know, thanks for the other suggestions, but had left for the chemist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi our littlest one had terrible nappy rash due to a condition she had. Orabase was best by a country mile

Orabase mixed with some Vaseline is what we use here. Works every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I find coconut oil brilliant..
    Are you using wipes? I found my youngest would get sore if I used anything other than the water wipes. They're dearer but much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cbyrd wrote: »
    I find coconut oil brilliant..
    Are you using wipes? I found my youngest would get sore if I used anything other than the water wipes. They're dearer but much better

Tap - water
    Soft cloth squares - wash with baby clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Orabase and Vaseline here particularly when bleeding... Both mine would have come out in bleeding nappy rash every time they were sick/teething /random times! It's what they give in our local hospital too. If it's very bad would use canesten with it if it's thrush or metanium if it's not. No wipes just cotton pads (not cotton wool) and either olive oil or liquid parrafin to clean. And we don't use water either as it seems to sting. I use Avene spray water from the chemist when out and about when things are bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

looksee wrote:
    Tap - water Soft cloth squares - wash with baby clothes.

I'm all for saving money but out and about that gets messy. Wipes are about convenience just like disposable nappies.
    I'm from the generation that used Terry cloth nappies as standard, (i started changing nappies when I was 6) they would never ever be washed with anything else. Fecal matter on your bibs.. I'll use the wipes thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Morgulin, spirlon spray and canesetin.

Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry for the delay in replying. We wnr to the doc who prescribed canesten hc which has a steroid in it. No use, tried it a few days to no improvement, started getting worse yesterday. U think we have it remedied now, we now clean his bum with a little olive oil rather than water, and metanium cream, has cleared up a huge amount since yesterday. The metainium was ordered online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

It's unlikely to be teething so young. So likely thrush ( which should have worked with what doc prescribed) or its a reaction to the nappy itself.

Could you try different brands of nappy? Some have way more chemicals than others. I know a few people who's kids reacted so badly to disposables they had to switch to cloth. Or since you are using cloth wipes already, could it be your washing powder? Bums are so much more sensitive

Advertisement