Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell in D.15

Options
  • 05-09-2016 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭

What on earth is the stink across d.15 today. It's 10x worse than the usual farming smell. Every year it gets worse. What do they spread these days that smells so bad. It's a very sharp smell too.

There isn't that much farming land around D.15 anymore. So whomever is spreading whatever. Is causing a stink over a massive area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It is slurry from the farmland. They've been quite busy working the land the last week and were out spreading whatever it is earlier today, I was travelling from Rathoath to D15 via the back roads and Kilbride and it was potent.

There's a massive amount of farmland around Tyrrelstown, Hollystown and behind the business parks around Damastown and Mulhuddart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Caught whiff of it driving past the graveyard in mulhuddart today. Usually it's the well or the river but this was absolutely potent rank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm no where near that. The smell is just over overpowering. Got off the train in Coolmine and it's just hits you like a wall.

I've worked in sorts of nasty places but this is worse than any of them. The sheer scale of it is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there a pig farm or possible pig slurry has been spread I find that the worst.

Also septic tanks are cleared and sometimes spread on land.

It's like an artificial smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

Yeah, smells like ass around blanchardstown. Thought I had something on my shoes at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like the smell of northsider!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you think the heat has anything to do with it? Sounds like you are describing cooked slurry.

No idea. Its a bit like that horrible stuff they spray on managed green areas. Only a lot more acrid. Seemed to dissipate around 9pm. I was told it was even worse earlier in the day. I wouldn't have been able to stick it. I'd have driven out of the area for the day.

Whatever they are using seems to get worse every year. It's not a natural smell either. Probably zero regulation and enforcement on this too in this banana republic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What sort of spray are you alluding to and who would be doing the spraying?
    No noticeable smell in my part of D15 btw.

• Advertisement

No idea. Few years back they started putting some bad smelling fertiliser on managed flower beds like in the Blanch center, in estates and the like. It's a very distinctive bad smell. I assume they spray it. Maybe its pellets. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There is a farm opposite the Carpenterstown Road entrance to Castleknock College. There is often a stench when you pass it.

Sometimes you can smell Guinness brewery in Carpenterstown so, if a smell can travel that far, it would not surprise me if the nearby farm's smell could travel to Coolmine station.

I noticed the smell of hops before. Never thought it would travel from town. Used to work on Thomas street never minded the hops smell. Some don't like it though.

Whatever the farms spread it smells nothing like it used to. It used to smell bad but was a natural smell. Not theses days. Maybe I should ask on the farming forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Nothing compares to that smell from kepak in damastown,there is one to wake you up!

Advertisement