Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I switch insurers after an accident?

• 05-09-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. So I am new to this car insurance stuff. I got my first insurance in June and had a minor accident yesterday where I was at fault. Guy jammed on his breaks and I clipped the back of his car. Anyway, he claimed off my insurance. My insurance is €2400 with AXA at present. 24, full licence 0 ncb. While I am not driving my car at the moment I was thinking to cancel the policy altogether and look for a new insurer when the car is back on the road. I was thinking boxymo as they are the cheapest and I don't have much to lose even though they seem very unreliable, I'm scared of my renewal policy with axa if I stay with them. Can anyone advise what I should do? Will I even get insured after just being in an accident?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

No. Cancelling will do no good. You are obliged to inform any insurance company about previous claims . Your next policy will be huge by there's no way around this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Sono

If you switch and they ask have you have had any claims or pending against you and you say no you are failing to tell the truth and if an accident occurred where they had to pay you out and they found out you had a previous accident they wouldn't pay and would tell you the policy is void and has never been in place.

Don't do what you are thinking of doing its fraud whether you think it is or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kaloko

No. Cancelling will do no good. You are obliged to inform any insurance company about previous claims . Your next policy will be huge by there's no way around this .

Yes I will tell them of the claim. I'm sure they will be able to see it on the system. I got a quote for €1500 with boxymo that I included the claim. It is still processing though so I put a guess down for the guys scratched bumper.... €1500 just seems so much more appealing to what AXA will hike it up to next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Very few places will take you with an open claim -there are about 3 providers in Ireland and you will pay through the nose. My advice is to stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kaloko

Sono wrote: »
    If you switch and they ask have you have had any claims or pending against you and you say no you are failing to tell the truth and if an accident occurred where they had to pay you out and they found out you had a previous accident they wouldn't pay and would tell you the policy is void and has never been in place.

Don't do what you are thinking of doing its fraud whether you think it is or not.

I was planning to switch either after the claim is settled or if it is possible while the claim is still ongoing. Either way, I will put down all details with the new insurer. I'm just not too sure how this all works just the thought of what it's going to go up to afterwards with my policy already being €2400. That boxymo company seem very cheap so with a claim under my belt I'm wondering if I should try switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

You won't get a quotation whilst the claim is still open

Advertisement