Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap Scheme queries landlord & tenant

Options
  • 05-09-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, I am working full time and have been offered the Hap scheme. I'm searching for a place firstly that accepts Hap. I have some questions and would appreciate any input from landlords or tenants that have experience with the scheme, thank you:
    -Can the landlord or tenant terminate the lease or are we tied in for a certain length of time? Landlords seem to query this when I mention Hap.
    -Is it a lot of hassle for landlords or straight forward enough? I'm a good tenant, never late with rent, quiet etc but just wondering if I have a chance of finding anywhere with the scheme?
    - What I've been told is the council pay the landlord 430 for a room, I pay the difference (circa 200) and then pay 10% of my earnings 200 per month. In effect it works out that I am paying 400 for the room so I am getting 200 from the council or thereabouts. I cant find a 1 bed so im looking at a room in a house, does anyone know is it a sub tenancy i need or can i get a 2 bed, take the lease, pay for my one room and get someone else in?
    -any good stories with Hap?

Thank you in advance apologies for the million questions :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi, I am working full time and have been offered the Hap scheme. I'm searching for a place firstly that accepts Hap. I have some questions and would appreciate any input from landlords or tenants that have experience with the scheme, thank you:
    -Can the landlord or tenant terminate the lease or are we tied in for a certain length of time? Landlords seem to query this when I mention Hap.
    -Is it a lot of hassle for landlords or straight forward enough? I'm a good tenant, never late with rent, quiet etc but just wondering if I have a chance of finding anywhere with the scheme?
    - What I've been told is the council pay the landlord 430 for a room, I pay the difference (circa 200) and then pay 10% of my earnings 200 per month. In effect it works out that I am paying 400 for the room so I am getting 200 from the council or thereabouts. I cant find a 1 bed so im looking at a room in a house, does anyone know is it a sub tenancy i need or can i get a 2 bed, take the lease, pay for my one room and get someone else in?
    -any good stories with Hap?

Thank you in advance apologies for the million questions :).
    The council negotiate a rate with the landlord and you are not allowed to top up that amount, you pay the standard council rent which is usually as follows - the basic social welfare rate is disregarded and you pay a basic rent of approximately €27-€30/week plus 20% of any income above the basic social welfare rate.

If you are on the dole you will pay about €30, if you are earning €500/week you will pay about €90-€100/week.

What normally happens with HAP is the council pays the Landlord the full rent(€430) and you pay the council your share of the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭moaningmyrtle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The council negotiate a rate with the landlord and you are not allowed to top up that amount, you pay the standard council rent which is usually as follows - the basic social welfare rate is disregarded and you pay a basic rent of approximately €27-€30/week plus 20% of any income above the basic social welfare rate.

If you are on the dole you will pay about €30, if you are earning €500/week you will pay about €90-€100/week.

What normally happens with HAP is the council pays the Landlord the full rent(€430) and you pay the council your share of the rent.

Thanks for your reply. I have checked this with the council and citizens advice. Hap is a different scheme whereby the tenant pays the top up on the rent. This is allowed and expected unlike rent allowanve where you cannot pay the top up amount. According to the council 'you pay the difference in rent to the landlord' and there is no limit on this. There is a cap only on how much they give you.

The  rent  payment  is  paid   electronically   directly   to   the   landlord   and   not   to   the   tenant.
     • A  tenant  must  pay  a  contribution   to   the   local   authority   running   the   HAP   scheme.
     • A  tenant  can   pay   a   top   up   to   the   landlord.  
    • The   landlord   must   be   tax   compliant   and   the   property   must   meet   with   rental  accommodation   standards.
     • The  local  authority   will   pass   on   details   of   the   tenancy   to   the   PRTB   to   ensure   registration.  

Advertisement