Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilcoole Golf Club

• 05-09-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

Anyone know the reason Kilcoole have closed up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anyone know the reason Kilcoole have closed up.

When did that happen? I believe it's been on the cards for a while

Interesting.... You can still book tee times on their website
    But Twitter has an intriguing last post

https://mobile.twitter.com/KilcooleGC/status/770383604891414528

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

Sadly they appear to have called it a day last Friday,

Why sadly? It was never a good course and I've heard the condition of it over recent years has been nothing short of appalling
    I know loads of members have jumped ship and have not heard a good thing said about the place

In reading through their facebook page, it appears as if the Banks call time on them. Pity it wasn't the Banks that closed instead.

• Advertisement

Sadly because it's a golf course closing and sadly because in the early days a number of people put their hearts and souls into getting the place out of private hands and into the hands of members, eventually ending up on the steps of the high courts. Whether or not the course was that good or not is a subjective view, I would be sure that their were certainly a number of members who loved the place.

It's demise was possibly caused by other clubs around it who were in NAMA and subsidised by them causing so called "members" to leave.

Kilcoole was a members club if these so called "members" thought it to be in appalling condition, they had an oppourtunity to do something about it, it's called an AGM.

If they had nothing good to say about the place that was a reflection on themselves as "members".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Always enjoyed playing there TBH. Sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Very sad to see a fellow 9 holer close, we had an e mail from the GUI saying they were not affiliated to the union from Friday Sept 7th and clarifying the transfer of handicaps. Lots of competition around that neck of the woods with Druids Heath being really good value in recent years. We played them in the Garden County a few times over the last few years and the guys there were solid but they were paying way in excess of what our annual sub was at the time. Thats Dublin City, Glencullen, Hazel Grove and now Kilcoole golf clubs gone belly up in the last 3 years.

Sad maybe, but maybe the reason of the bellyflop was of their own making.

On the plus side, let's face it, there are to many golf clubs in Ireland and some might say especially around this neck of the woods. I'm sure we will see the members move around to other local clubs which will help cement their futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »
    Sad maybe, but maybe the reason of the bellyflop was of their own making.

On the plus side, let's face it, there are to many golf clubs in Ireland and some might say especially around this neck of the woods. I'm sure we will see the members move around to other local clubs which will help cement their futures.
    Cant disagree with any of above i think a portion of the Dublin City members joined Druids Heath together. 9 hole clubs very often with much lower revenue streams have got to budget very carefully especially in the area clubhouse costs/repayments which are pretty much the same as 18 hole establishments. The Clubhouse in Kilcoole was really nice and again i am just speculating that it may have been the straw that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Why sadly? It was never a good course and I've heard the condition of it over recent years has been nothing short of appalling
    I know loads of members have jumped ship and have not heard a good thing said about the place

Dont hold back :p

Whatever about the condition of the course, people still played golf there and are probably leaving it with some regret and many great memories. I know they struggled to field teams this year, but I'm sorry its closed and I hope those last ones leaving manage to find new clubs that will respect such loyalty and offer them many years of happy golf and friendship.

Dtoffee wrote: »
    Dont hold back :p

Whatever about the condition of the course, people still played golf there and are probably leaving it with some regret and many great memories. I know they struggled to field teams this year, but I'm sorry its closed and I hope those last ones leaving manage to find new clubs that will respect such loyalty and offer them many years of happy golf and friendship.

I'm only relaying what I have heard. I could really point the gun and unload 2 barrels, but I won't go that far :P The thing is though, if you don't/can't keep the course in good condition, members will leave. Amongst other things, this was probably the main reason most people left (and I know of more than a goods few). If that happens, how can you expect a handful of remaining members to be able to keep the place afloat?

Poor aul Stephen Brennan will be turning in his grave to see his creation come to a bitter end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Unfortunately, it was always the last option when recommending a course in the area, there's just too much competition.
    I bet that some of the other clubs' committees are aren't too upset though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bmay529

RIP Kilcoole. Kilcoole was a cracking 9 hole course with many really good holes. Pity they could not get the formula right to keep it going as I believe there is a place for a good 9 hole members club/course with more and more people with family pressures, etc., who want their golf to take lass time than the 5+ hours a round on an 18 hole course can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

"Sadly" is probably for the members who have played and loved the wee course for 20 off year's, sadly for the few workers who where on the books..... ya know the human sadly.

Advertisement