Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA ireland deducting money from my account for the last three years

Options
  • 06-09-2016 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

i was looking through my quarterly statement this evening and noticed a deduction which i couldn't account for. it was marked sep 1st AA ireland €96. the last time i had any dealing with AA was over 3 years ago when i last had a car insurance policy in my name. iv not had a policy in my name in that time since as i have private use of a work vehicle.

iv looked back over my online statements for the last 3 years and the same deduction is there on sep 1st with 2 further deductions of €90 and €99.

iv searched through my emails and theres no sign of any renewals for policies from the AA. the last correspondence iv had from them was the renewal they send out for my can insurance policy which i did not renew.

im planning on ringing them tomorrow.

has anyone ever heard of the AA doing something like this???

have they been deducting me illegally for the last 3 years?

i cant believe i haven't noticed this sooner.

im pretty pissed off that they can just dip into my account without any sort of notice or my permission :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Same happened to me, I had even changed the card before the second payment the AA rang up my bank who said no problem then 2 payments I had not authorised my bank refunded the money straight away. I was really annoyed as the first year payment was a gift for a person no warning it was going to continue and AA said we sent you renewal letter which of course went to receipent of the gift, who had moved so had no idea. I would not buy anything from AA ever again and as a loyal supporter in the past I can tell you I would rather walk than use AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sinnerboy555

Going through the same issue, awaiting a call back but think it's from a travel insurance policy i had out a few years back.

Going through the same issue, awaiting a call back but think it's from a travel insurance policy i had out a few years back.

What saved me was my debit card had changed (which I would assume would stop all payment associated with that card) but AA rang up my bank and a DD was set up with no say from me. The bank refunded me straigh away but AA had no interest a shower of muppets. I have spent the last few months telling every driver I know to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Same happened to me, I had even changed the card before the second payment the AA rang up my bank who said no problem then 2 payments I had not authorised my bank refunded the money straight away. I was really annoyed as the first year payment was a gift for a person no warning it was going to continue and AA said we sent you renewal letter which of course went to receipent of the gift, who had moved so had no idea. I would not buy anything from AA ever again and as a loyal supporter in the past I can tell you I would rather walk than use AA.

thats scandalous :mad:, i haven't received any emails or post form the AA in over 2 years (i keep all important documents stored away). i dont even have a car at the minute :(

how the hell can a private company deduct money from your account without permission from the account holder. no letter, no email absolutely nothing to say this was going on

evosteo wrote: »
    thats scandalous :mad:, i haven't received any emails or post form the AA in over 2 years (i keep all important documents stored away). i dont even have a car at the minute :(

how the hell can a private company deduct money from your account without permission from the account holder. no letter, no email absolutely nothing to say this was going on

Simply the Bank screwed up, but they fixed in so quickly but I was so shocked that a company would contact the bank and do what they did the bank account in different name to the membership it was mind blowing to be honest I accept the bank made an error but the AA was something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

evosteo wrote: »

Some policies will have an auto renew clause in them when paid for by DD. You see it a lot in motor policies for example, the policy will just roll over at the end of the current term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sheera1

Hi, same thing happened to me- €96 came out of my account on 1st September to AA Ireland. Rang bank and they said it came out same time last year. It was a "POS" transaction so they said my card was used- it wasn't a DD. Very strange as I don't ever remember ever being a member of AA. When I rang AA Customer Service said they had no record of me being a customer or of my debit card or of my bank account. They referred it to their Payments section who will contact me. Have filled in a form to cancel the transaction through BOI so hopefully it is refunded.

was onto them this evening and they said they're investigating it and will be back in touch. all these deductions where POS (point of sale) on my bank statements so they were charged to my debit card.

iv had deductions of

€337.30 in 2013 (car insurance and membership bonus)
    €90 in 2014
    €99 in 2015
    €96 in 2016

iv had no correspondence form the AA since july 2014 when the insurance renewal was posted out.

and my original membership card expired in 08/2014.

should there have been a letter to state membership renewal was automatically coming up and also what about new annual membership card for the previous years?

surely i should have had something posted or emailed to me to say at least i was an active member.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My Dad switched from them a couple of years ago. I.must get him to go through his Bank Statements (He is very old school banks/businesses do not make mistakes).

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

When you set up the original payment instruction you more than likely agreed to a 'continuous payment authority' which means that every year that amount would be debited from your account without you having to authorise it each time. This was what happened me with AA - I spotted it immediately and it was refunded and I then went through the process of terminating the authority.

• Advertisement

just a quick update

iv been refunded the 2016 and 2015 deductions

as they cant trace the original call i made in 2014 they said they cant refund that year. i cant remember what phone i may have used to ring up so they cant trace the call.

as for the missing or lack of paper work for the last three years, the girl looking into it said she couldn't explain it. i said if i had been receiving annual renewals (paperwork and membership cards) i would have flagged it way before now. she just apologized to me for this and said she will be following up on it.

so id say im 80% happy with getting something back

it will take up to 28 days to be refunded.

the girl investigating it was fairly sound and very helpful on the phone. rang back when she said she would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sheera1 wrote: »
    Hi, same thing happened to me- €96 came out of my account on 1st September to AA Ireland. Rang bank and they said it came out same time last year. It was a "POS" transaction so they said my card was used- it wasn't a DD. Very strange as I don't ever remember ever being a member of AA. When I rang AA Customer Service said they had no record of me being a customer or of my debit card or of my bank account. They referred it to their Payments section who will contact me. Have filled in a form to cancel the transaction through BOI so hopefully it is refunded.

Your bank should refund the last payment immediately and then investigate last years payment as it was over the 8week limit for getting an immediate refund!

Advertisement