Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many more years will people live on this earth?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

im 51 - in 30 years i will be 81 (good job i didnt skip maths lessons in school) - i suppose if i am healthy I wont mind living til around 85 or thereabouts.

But the way the world is going , what with global warming and floods and storms and wars and predictions about 'the end of the world is nigh' every so often (and looney Trump soon having control of 'the' button) - do you realistically think this world and the people that live on earth have another 30 or 40 years left in it?

cheerful old git arent I :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Did you not hear? It's ending in August next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

maudgonner wrote: »
    Did you not hear? It's ending in August next year.

reason being this time? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I don't see any immediate threat that would cause the end of human habitation on earth.

War - there's always been war. There's a strong argument this is the safest time to be alive in human history, in the western world at least.

Gobal warming - while serious is reversible. The Ozone layer has partially repaired itself since the CFC ban in 89.

Trump and Clinton would follow in a long line of head case US presidents. The US overestimates it's influence on the world. Also US presidents have limited power. Obamas pet project was supposed to be Obama care, but without senate approval it died in the water.
    Trump is playing to the gallery and if by some miracle he were elected, building a wall between America and Mexico would soon go to the wayside.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We're as resilient as rats or roaches. Small pockets will survive and thrive again. The in-breeding might make things weird eventually, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think fresh water problems will greatly reduce the amount of people able to live on our planet. I watched a documentary recently and apparently by 2050 40% of the works will be living with water restrictions.

• Advertisement

..... Also US presidents have limited power. Obamas pet project was supposed to be Obama care, but without senate approval it died in the water.

you would think reaching a stage of president of a country that what you said would go - strange to think it had to go for approval still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Dafuq do you be on at this time of night??

Dafuq do you be on at this time of night??

insomnia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

insomnia :D

Ditto.

Personally I think the worlds fecked. Humans will probably survive but it may just be a tiny fraction of the current population. Global warming is bad, it's really fcuking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

im 51 - in 30 years i will be 81 (good job i didnt skip maths lessons in school) - i suppose if i am healthy I wont mind living til around 85 or thereabouts.

But the way the world is going , what with global warming and floods and storms and wars and predictions about 'the end of the world is nigh' every so often (and looney Trump soon having control of 'the' button) - do you realistically think this world and the people that live on earth have another 30 or 40 years left in it?

Global temperatures have risen something like 2c from pre-industrial levels?
    Global populations have boomed in that time and short of the water rising marginally in a few places, there has been no serious threat to human life whatsoever.
    Not an extinction threatening issue for a few centuries at least. The bangledeshis now, they may have an issue, but the rest of us? Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

So far, humanity has managed to survive and overcome disasters of its own making and/or exacerbation... wars, plagues, bad agricultural practices, diseases of affluence and leisure, and so forth. We may not even get to worry about global warming if we don't come up with ways to deal with antibiotic resistance soon. I'm not a "technology will save us" type, but my money's still on technology. It would help, of course, if anti-science types got out of the fricking way.

OP, watch Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
    All will become clear, if you can keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Global temperatures have risen something like 2c from pre-industrial levels?
    Global populations have boomed in that time and short of the water rising marginally in a few places, there has been no serious threat to human life whatsoever.
    Not an extinction threatening issue for a few centuries at least. The bangledeshis now, they may have an issue, but the rest of us? Be grand.

Are those bangledeshis anything to the kardashians?

My prediction is that everyone will live as many years as they are alive on this earth. Unless they die in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

At 51 you are around long enough to know better. Floods, storms and wars all happened before and trump talks through his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

justshane wrote: »
    I think fresh water problems will greatly reduce the amount of people able to live on our planet. I watched a documentary recently and apparently by 2050 40% of the works will be living with water restrictions.
    A documentary it must be true so, surely.

Advertisement