Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

possibly Moving from Dublin to Kinnegad..

• 06-09-2016 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

Hey there!

myself and my other half are considering selling our dublin home, and buying a property in Kinnegad - meaning none or very little mortgage..

Has anyone done this?

Commuting is my main concern as i wont want to leave my job, working in Cabra.

Commuting on a good day is roughly 45 mins(so google maps says!) does anyone else commute?

His family are from Mullingar - not far away, but i'l be leaving my family in Dublin.

Ive written a list of Pro's and con's, bar the fact we cant pop into my parents or friends during the week (Unless planned!) and commuting, all seems to point in the direction of a stressfree, mortgage free, larger house with land in Kinnegad.

does anyone have any advice, or have they done the same?

I'm really on the fence!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Kinnegad is in Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

well thats embarrassing!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

shakencat wrote: »
    Hey there!

myself and my other half are considering selling our dublin home, and buying a property in Kinnegad - meaning none or very little mortgage..

Has anyone done this?

Commuting is my main concern as i wont want to leave my job, working in Cabra.

Commuting on a good day is roughly 45 mins(so google maps says!) does anyone else commute?

His family are from Mullingar - not far away, but i'l be leaving my family in Dublin.

Ive written a list of Pro's and con's, bar the fact we cant pop into my parents or friends during the week (Unless planned!) and commuting, all seems to point in the direction of a stressfree, mortgage free, larger house with land in Kinnegad.

does anyone have any advice, or have they done the same?

I'm really on the fence!!:(

I commute to Dublin everyday. Traffic can be heavy but I leave kinnegad at 6am and will be in rathmines no later than 1hr 20mins. You can hit the M50 in 45mins most mornings

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mod: moving to Westmeath forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Kinnegad is in Westmeath.
    By a whisker ;)

kinnegad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Living in Kinnegad, driving to Clondalkin area for the last 15 years. TBH, when we started we had no children. Now with them, we are dragging the up at 7 in the morning and not home until after 7 in the evenings. Traffic probably won't be a problem until you hit Dublin. However tail backs can go from M4 Maynooth past the M50, so learn the back roads.

If you don't mind the commute and don't have or plan to have children you might be ok. But the commute will eat up a lot of the free time you have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

By a whisker ;)

kinnegad.jpg

Still Westmeath, a lot of us Dubs here won't live in Meath..:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

OP, I recommend you go for a test commute on a Monday morning (preferably rainy) on a day off to get a real sense of what your door to door commute will really be like. Google's estimation does not factor in rush hour. I live just off the Clonee/Dunboyne exit of the M3 and it can sometimes take me 90 minutes to get as far as Cabra (10kms away) on a bad traffic morning although I generally can do it in about 60 mins (although I mostly avoid my car and use the train). The main hold up is often the build up prior to the M50. I imagine the M4 around Lucan is similar or worse. You also have tolls to contend with unless you choose to take the old road via Enfield and Kilcock. Not sure how many use them as a rat run.

PS morning commuter train services from Enfield stop at Broombridge which is in Cabra (that could be worth considering?). Check irishrail.ie for how long the journeys are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

ongarboy wrote: »
    OP, I recommend you go for a test commute on a Monday morning (preferably rainy) on a day off to get a real sense of what your door to door commute will really be like. Google's estimation does not factor in rush hour. I live just off the Clonee/Dunboyne exit of the M3 and it can sometimes take me 90 minutes to get as far as Cabra (10kms away) on a bad traffic morning although I generally can do it in about 60 mins (although I mostly avoid my car and use the train). The main hold up is often the build up prior to the M50. I imagine the M4 around Lucan is similar or worse. You also have tolls to contend with unless you choose to take the old road via Enfield and Kilcock. Not sure how many use them as a rat run.

PS morning commuter train services from Enfield stop at Broombridge which is in Cabra (that could be worth considering?). Check irishrail.ie for how long the journeys are.

My working times are generally 2-8, so i wont hit that horrid rush hour traffic.. but ill defo look at the train, didnt think of that train stop at all !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

shakencat wrote: »
    My working times are generally 2-8, so i wont hit that horrid rush hour traffic.. but ill defo look at the train, didnt think of that train stop at all !!

If that's your work times you'll have no bother with traffic at all. You'll fly up the road

• Advertisement
Advertisement