Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Advice For Sixth Years

Options
  • 06-09-2016 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys!
    So, I've been asked to go into my old school and talk to the current sixth years about the leaving cert/CAO system from a student's perspective and to give them advice. If anyone has any advice/tips themselves leave it down below and I'll also include them.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read the CAO manual

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    Read the CAO manual

That is all.
    +1000

It never fails to amaze me how some students will break their backs for 2 years to maximise their points, yet won't spend 2 hours figuring out how to make the best use of them ... then end up getting things wrong, making silly mistakes or even just having unnecessary panic attacks in August because they don't understand how the system works!

Other than that, I would say the key words are consistency and balance.

* Work hard consistently through the year, but well short of the point of physical / mental exhaustion; that's never a good thing.

* Get proper rest / sleep; try to eat at least semi-healthily and avoid too many sugary snacks and drinks; get some regular exercise, even if it's only a 30 minute brisk walk each day (taking a half-hour to slouch the mile home from school while chatting to friends does not constitute a brisk walk! :p).

* When you're studying, focus on it and actually study; when you're not, forget about it. Schedule in time each week for a reasonable level of R&R and social activities.

A good balance not only gives your brain the best chance to absorb and recall material, it will help a lot with stress levels ... which in turn will give your brain the best chance ... etc. etc. In other words, it's a recurring cycle, for good or bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In relation to the CAO application, it is an aspect of Irish life in which some Mammies become over-involved. It is not Mammy is applying for college. In some cases, it is necessary to gently remind her of this. The 'interference' is coming from love rather than harassment, but it can be just as destructive.

It sometimes reminds me of the dating questionnaire scene in 'Harold and Maude': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJAzTE980s

Advertisement