Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Step?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got some spare time on my hands and I'm looking to get a certification under my belt but I'm not really sure which I should be going for.
    At the moment I have a Level 5 in Computer Science, my CompTIA A+ and I'm currently 1 year into my first tech support job.
    Can anyone recommend a course I should cover? (I have access to CBTNuggets training courses if that makes a difference)

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

CCNA is handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Really depends on what track your looking to go down ?
    What would you like to be doing in 5 years ?
    Cisco CCNA is only really worth doing if you want to be a network engineer/architect imho

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plastik90

I was thinking CCNA too but I think I'd like to stick more to software / hardware. Maybe something like the MCSA? Or would that be a waste of my time (I'm not sure how highly rated it is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Nope MCSA is far more useful than CCNA but there are many streams of MCSA from Server admin, sql database, BI etc

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you want to stick with your employer and move upwards there or move out? If you want to stay, find out what they're in need of for higher levels. My current place is short on VMware VCPs (which are painfully, painfully expensive to get the first time around due to a compulsary 5 day, few grand course) for instance.

If you want to move, what you want to do is important - Server MCSA or CCNA as above are the logical options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

plastik90 wrote: »
    I was thinking CCNA too but I think I'd like to stick more to software / hardware. Maybe something like the MCSA? Or would that be a waste of my time (I'm not sure how highly rated it is)?

No money in hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Like was said above, it depends on what you plan on doing. But if you plan on doing anything to do with networking, then do the CCNA. This teach you all you need to know to set up your own IP network or troubleshoot an existing IP network. And all networks are IP networks at this stage. Also has good foundation on switching.

You could do the 70-410 exam on Windows Server, but I wouldnt bother with 70-411 or 70-412. I have the 70-410, and was going to do the MCSA, but couldnt justify doing the other two exams as there was nothing that I would use in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plastik90

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help, I'll give them all a look and hopefully get going on one soon.

Advertisement