Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Supports

Options
  • 06-09-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback/advice on calf supports :confused:

Anyone on here use them? Have had calf problems for years now.....do squillions of stretches, strengthening exercises, foam rolling, physio etc. but no matter what I end up with tight calves and more often that not, painful achilles :(

Anyway, a couple of people have mentioned calf supports, tempted to shell out on something like this - would be interested to know if i'm just throwing good money after bad, or if they might actually help?

cheers cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Also would be interested in peoples views on this topic. I tend to suffer with stiff achilles in the morning and was thinking of buying these http://www.compressport.com/product_detail/r2-race-recovery/

Anyone got any views on these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was always cursed with calf problems for years and found the compress socks the business. I used to wear them more at night and throughout the day then just for running and training and found them great when my legs were tired.

However, they're only part of the solution if you're prone to calf problems I think. I went to a physio who gave me a set of exercises (new ones every month) and took up pilates and a combination of everything did the trick for me but they're no quick fix for dodgy calves sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

I'm in the say spot with tight calves and achilles. The follow article is a good read and matches up with what I'm being told at the physio.
    I've also included a link to base2race who sell the calf guards as it's a great shop.(No link to base2race)

How Not To Treat an Achilles Injury http://www.hypothetic.org/ski/jeff_achilles_st.html

Compression http://shop.base2race.ie/collections/compression-1
    R2 Calf Guards http://shop.base2race.ie/collections/compression-1/products/r2-calf-guards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've been using compression socks for long runs and marathons in an attempt to alleviate my problems with calves cramping.

I'm still undecided if they make a difference. The rate of cramping seemed to go down at first by the problem has come back to haunt me quite a few times recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've been using them for a couple years now. I do think they help me, but physio recently said that my calf soreness is down to a weaker right glute muscle that I'll need to work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I thought this was in the wrong forum. I'll just not on and leave ye at it. Wrong type of calves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've been using compression socks for long runs and marathons in an attempt to alleviate my problems with calves cramping.

I'm still undecided if they make a difference. The rate of cramping seemed to go down at first by the problem has come back to haunt me quite a few times recently.

Some sort of placebo effect, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just ordered a 2xu pair on Amazon so will wait and see.

From the research I did over the last couple of days it seems that buying cheap compression gear (like the ones i linked in OP) isn't advisable in the long run.

Anyway, fingers crossed they can help in some way - not expecting a magic bullet by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just ordered a 2xu pair on Amazon so will wait and see.

From the research I did over the last couple of days it seems that buying cheap compression gear (like the ones i linked in OP) isn't advisable in the long run.

Anyway, fingers crossed they can help in some way - not expecting a magic bullet by any means

Could you please give the link for the ones you are buying ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Techless wrote: »
    Could you please give the link for the ones you are buying ?

Cheers

Here you go

• Advertisement
Advertisement