Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50cc moped/scooter insurance

• 06-09-2016 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

50cc mopeds restricted to 45kmph top speed generally cost between 50 and 70 euro to insure in Germany (and there is no tax).
    How much does it cost typically for 50cc restricted speed moped insurance in Ireland for a rider with a class B licence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can't ride it on a B licence here, you will need to go and get a proper AM licence.

Insurance price will depend completely on age, experience, address, occupation etc - all the usual factors.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I can. I've had my B licence for 20 years.

737max wrote: »

Licences are only valid for 10 at a time, so how do you have a 20 year licence ?? :confused:

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%203.pdf

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

galwaytt wrote: »
    Licences are only valid for 10 at a time, so how do you have a 20 year licence ?? :confused:

You know what he means

Kilboor wrote: »
    You know what he means

No, I don't. Really.

If you have a UK licence you could be licenced up 'til your 70 one on issue, not here though.

He's already said he's (from) Germany, or of German licence ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

You can in Germany.

ONCE in Ireland - you can't.
    Unless you're exchanged your DE licence to the IE before 2006.
    Until then European B cat licence gave you Irish cat B & cat A altogether.

It doesn't matter how many NCB years you have on your car - these won't be entertained for the purpose of moped / motorbike insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

gb

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%203.pdf

It's called licence renewal which you do every ten years. And you were allowed to include mopeds etc on it 20 years ago and it will carry that over on every renewal.

Back then if you wanted to have motorcycles up to 125cc and your car licence, you just checked the box for both when applying and you had it, no questions asked. It was changed years ago so new drivers cant pick it anymore.

actually, I can in both countries.

actually, I can in both countries.

Mind explaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Can anyone actually answer the question in the op?

• Advertisement

€500 north

We're not insurance brokers.

beazee wrote: »
    Mind explaining?

He got his licence 20 years ago. On the licence he's marked down as being able to drive mopeds (AM is marked) which was automatic upon doing a B licence therefore when he renews after 10 years he'll still have the moped licence regardless of whether he has done a test for it or not

Mind explaining?
    I've got an Irish license still and don't need to exchange until it reaches the renewal date.

(AM is marked)

Which means his licence is B & AM.

Which means his licence is B & AM.

Yes but he presumably still has his German licence which means that the moped is covered under their B category

Yes but he presumably still has his German licence which means that the moped is covered under their B category
    No. see above?

Back to my question; what is typical moped insurance? Is 50 to 70 euro realistic in Ireland so that a young apprentice can buy a moped, travel to work and live an independent life not dependent on his or her parents for support or waiting at a bus stop on a day like today when a bus doesn't come.

Is 50 to 70 euro realistic in Ireland

Per month. Sure.

Wife looked into that option after she fell in love with Vespa.
    No way she was to pay over €500 per year for insurance.

I just insured a moped (aged rider with full license, nut no NCB) best I could was Carlole Nash €230 TPO... I could have had TPFT for another €50.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056153271 (2011)

Your best bet is to ring an insurance company and find out. Someone here might tell you what theirs is but there are so many variables now yours could be a completely different price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

No. see above?

Back to my question; what is typical moped insurance? Is 50 to 70 euro realistic in Ireland so that a young apprentice can buy a moped, travel to work and live an independent life not dependent on his or her parents for support or waiting at a bus stop on a day like today when a bus doesn't come.

Since it sounds like this is what you're asking - no, 50 to 70 euro is not realistic. With no NCB built up, you're talking more like 200-300 minimum on any bike or moped.

• Advertisement

When I found my first job those years ago I knew I'd never be able to hold it down if I relied on Dublin Bus.
    I got a 100cc bike insured for under 100 quid and I was independent and able to save for a car.

It seems this option is not available to the young any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Bykobap

I am with Liberty, was quoted e150 for TPFT on Neos in Meath.
    But they have a policy of minimum premium being e250 + taxes so i am paying e300.
    Road tax is e50.

When I found my first job those years ago I knew I'd never be able to hold it down if I relied on Dublin Bus.
    I got a 100cc bike insured for under 100 quid and I was independent and able to save for a car.

It seems this option is not available to the young any more.

...to be honest, in Ireland it has never been available to the young here. Your young experience in Germany is a mile away from what happens here.

My first bike, a 200cc Suzuki cost me £400 way back, and the insurance £436. And I was being paid about £2/hr at the time.

You may find too that with a non-Irish licence you may attract a premium, to get cover, and you will have to change over to an Irish one eventually.........

Ode To The Motorist

I'm not German and I was referring to Ireland of years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got a 100cc bike insured for under 100 quid and I was independent and able to save for a car. bigger bike.

Fixed your post :)

If there was ever cheap insurance here, it must have been before I was born. I got my first bike in 1995, 100cc, I was 23 and third party only insurance cost me £1000 pounds. Yes pounds. That's almost 1300 euro. The bike cost me half of that. I was earning about £160 a week at the time.

Scrap the cap!

Mine was insured from my rural home address which I believe made it more affordable.
    Other benefit of having the bike was that I didn't have to get the train anymore. I'd travel home the 70 miles on my bike in half the time it would take door to door when using the train.

fwiw, I tried to get a quote for my 16 yr old daughter on a moped lately, but couldn't without having a reg no etc etc. Bloody painful, I just wanted to see if it was feasible or not.

If anyone does find out, do post back here.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

fwiw, I tried to get a quote for my 16 yr old daughter on a moped lately, but couldn't without having a reg no etc etc. Bloody painful, I just wanted to see if it was feasible or not.

If anyone does find out, do post back here.

Just make up a reg or take note of one on the street......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Here.... https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/vespa-moped/13314489 01D 57273, Model is a Vespa ET2.

• Advertisement

Here.... https://www.donedeal.ie/scooters-for-sale/vespa-moped/13314489 01D 57273, Model is a Vespa ET2.

Tks for that, €868.00 for TPFT is the answer.

16 y.o., learner, zero NCB or experience.

Hmmmmmm.............

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement