Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I take that route/turn daily. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Independent saying just injured, lets hope they are right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Independent saying just injured, lets hope they are right

I know this isn't a confirmation and I do hope I'm wrong, but there's a tent up.

Danbo! wrote: »
    I know this isn't a confirmation and I do hope I'm wrong, but there's a tent up.

Not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

Irish Times says it was a fatal collision with a female cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Unfortunately it has been confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seriously, not just cyclists but there seems to be one death after another on the roads the last few weeks.

What is going on? (perhaps it is just me paying more attention but it seems that there has been a number of them recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Very sad to hear that, it's one of my regular routes and my OH uses it daily too. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dangerous junction that because drivers have a tiny window to get from Guild st to Seville place upper and from Seville Place upper to Seville place lower. You sense the fraying tempers at that junction as a cyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a strange junction. You can get cars turning right as they do while cyclists are on their right hand side on the cycle path intending on going straight. It's an abysmally designed cycle path.

More importantly. Horrible news for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭numbnutz

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Seriously, not just cyclists but there seems to be one death after another on the roads the last few weeks.

What is going on? (perhaps it is just me paying more attention but it seems that there has been a number of them recently)

I feel so sorry for this cyclist and the bad news her loved ones are to receive.

I used to ride a motorbike and am now in a car and the only observation I can make is the level of aggression to pretty much everyone around them usually ties in with, and I know it sounds weird, when the economy picks up and the busier it gets the more aggression and dickish behaviour occurs. Phone usage whilst driving is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

absolutely shocking, RIP young lady :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That junction I use daily, tent still up and coroner's ambulance there still. Junction is fairly dangorus. Towards town I always make sure I am in front of HGVs or keep well back. Also a nightmare, if cars are turning right from town and it gets backed up they turn and as they cant see you it gets a bit hairy. Opposite way, there seems to be car parking, two lanes and its very narrow going straight.

RIP to the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Collision with a truck... but seems odd the truck has already been moved off? (noted from the pic in the 98fm link)
    Likely it didn't stop til much further?

Seems to be a huge spike in fatal cycling / motor incidences over the past couple of weeks :(

Tragic.
    The driver of the truck was brought to Beaumont as a precaution.

Can only imagine what that poor girls family are going through.

People need to slow down and give cyclists due care as they can only scratch your car but you can kill them.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Seems to be a huge spike in fatal cycling / motor incidences over the past couple of weeks :(

Massive increase in HGVs on the road due to improving economy and increased levels of construction. Combine that with the usual increase in back-to-school traffic and the shortening daylight hours and you can see why such a spike might occur. Anecdotally I think this is the deadliest time of year for road deaths amongst vulnerable users - children, pedestrians, cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Moflojo wrote: »
    Massive increase in HGVs on the road due to improving economy and increased levels of construction. Combine that with the usual increase in back-to-school traffic and the shortening daylight hours and you can see why such a spike might occur. Anecdotally I think this is the deadliest time of year for road deaths amongst vulnerable users - children, pedestrians, cyclists.

Combined with crap cycling infrastructure. A few days after ~€10m was pulled for cycling greenway projects in Dublin with the funds being diverted to a >€1b Luas project.

RIP.

RIP, prayers with the family and driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I passed another incident this morning at the Four Courts on the quays. There was a girl in an ambulance but thankfully it didn't look like it was too serious. It is definitely dangerous out there..!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I had both a car and a bus pull into me this morning. The did see me they just didn't care. Seriously considering giving up cycling at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Anatom wrote: »
    I passed another incident this morning at the Four Courts on the quays. There was a girl in an ambulance but thankfully it didn't look like it was too serious. It is definitely dangerous out there..!

I saw that this morning too as I cycled past :( I run through that junction most days at lunchtime, as someone else said, absolutely bonkers road layout for cyclists. RIP :(

I've only been cycling into/out of work since earlier in the summer but the traffic, especially numbers of buses & HGV's in the city the last 10 days is far heavier. Today was the first time I've felt a bit unsafe Quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

RIP the poor woman and the other people effected in the last few weeks.

http://www.thejournal.ie/drive-safe-july-2855079-Jul2016/

The accidents that have occurred in very different situations, as such its not the time to be making sweeping generalisations. Or jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

RIP.

It really does feel like there is a spike in these sort of accidents recently, i guess it is inevitable that there will be random variations in frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

God love the poor girl. Shocking to hear.
    RIP.

I commute by motorbike, its big, very loud and obvious looking and even then you feel quite exposed. I love cycling but only really once I get outside the city and traffic lights and traffic. I don't think I'd ever commute doing it, it would not be for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

Lately I am noticing a lot more cyclists/ joggers out on poorly lit roads with no hard shoulders and it unnerves me a lot. I passed one guy recently jogging in the middle of the road even though there was a footpath.

And this morning I passed a guy jogging in the dark on a twisty road with no hard shoulder. Even with visi-vests and armbands some of these people can be hard to see.
    With increased traffic and darker evenings/mornings I can see why there could be increased accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

terrydel wrote: »
    God love the poor girl. Shocking to hear.
    RIP.

I commute by motorbike, its big, very loud and obvious looking and even then you feel quite exposed. I love cycling but only really once I get outside the city and traffic lights and traffic. I don't think I'd ever commute doing it, it would not be for me at all.

I'm in the same boat as you. I also cycle recreationally a fair bit and have commuted the odd time but found the city cycling chaotic in places. Though I feel exposed on motorbike I still feel a lot safer than on my bicycle.

RIP poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Early November is the most dangerous time on the road for vulnerable users.

A combination of the changed clocks, darker commutes, poorer weather and people using the car more often than previously means that accidents are more likely.

Somewhat counter to that trend, the last few weeks and months have been very dry and bright in Dublin generally, which is also associated with an increase in road deaths - more vulnerable users on the roads, but also drivers tending to be less attentive because of the perceived safety of good visibility.

"Meh" weather is safer than good or bad weather - overcast, cool (but not cold) and drizzly. There are less vulnerable road users, and the conditions require drivers to pay more attention.

Counterintuitively, really, really ****ty driving weather is the safest. December 2010 was statistically the safest month in history on Irish roads because there was 30 days of lying snow in many parts of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

seamus wrote: »

Somewhat counter to that trend, the last few weeks and months have been very dry and bright in Dublin generally, which is also associated with an increase in road deaths - more vulnerable users on the roads, but also drivers tending to be less attentive because of the perceived safety of good visibility.

Today's accident really floored me today, not rush hour, great weather, right by my office where I cycle every day, etc - but the above does makes sense.\

The next couple of days, and weeks, will have more people on their bikes with bus strikes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Dreadful scene, RIP to the young lady..it's such a dangerous stretch since the SB bridge was opened...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

RIP. Very sad.

I might be wrong here and certainly don't have any stats that would bear this out, but I have a sense that a disproportionately high number of fatalities like this one are female. If this is true, is there something to be learned from this discrepancy?

In a tragic context such as this, I hope it goes without saying that I'm not trolling or attempting to make some sort of sexist point. I'm genuinely wondering if differences in 'attitude' between men and women might be a contributing factor and if this needs to form part of safe cycling campaigns.

Generalising is always risky, but I notice that female cyclists commuting around my own city (Cork) tend to adopt a less aggressive road position than their male counterparts: seldom taking ownership of a lane, swinging wider when negotiating small roundabouts or right turns, stopping further back at the lights, etc.

This is a terrible tragedy and some might feel that the above is inappropriate on this day. I respect that view but think any discussion that might go any way towards reducing the risk of this happening again is justifiable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement