Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Dublin

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

cython wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic, there is an exemption for driving while on the phone to the emergency services, so while i'm sure this is the case for pretty much none of those observed, were you to answer a number you knew to be to Gardai, for example, it might not be illegal (I'm honestly not 100% sure if the exemption is exclusively for making a call, or whether it applies to receiving too)

Ah yes, of course you could use the phone if the Gardaí rang you while you were driving while a gun was held to your head by your kidnappers. We'd all forgive that ;)

Here's a piece about the driver jailed for killing a cyclist when he was sending a text about a dog walk (he had six previous convictions for texting at the wheel):

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-37294146

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

cython wrote: »
    At the risk of being pedantic, there is an exemption for driving while on the phone to the emergency services, so while i'm sure this is the case for pretty much none of those observed, were you to answer a number you knew to be to Gardai, for example, it might not be illegal (I'm honestly not 100% sure if the exemption is exclusively for making a call, or whether it applies to receiving too)

Yeah I'm sure, spaceships invading the earth would maybe be an exception, still why even bother adding the comment above? It in no way related to 99.999999999999999999999% of the usage of phones in cars. Its almost like drivers cling to any circumstance that justifies their bad behaviour.

Here's what can be drawn from start of this month alone, and remember this is early days yet:

A motorised vehicle ran into a ditch, the driver was killed.
    A motorised vehicle ran into a another parked motorised vehicle, passenger was killed.
    A motorised vehicle ran into a 80 yr old woman leaving mass, the woman was killed.
    A motorised vehicle ran into a cyclist, the cyclist was killed.

Its possible there's a connection there somewhere..maybe someone will help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

A motorised vehicle ran into a another parked motorised vehicle, passenger was killed.
    A motorised vehicle ran into a 80 yr old woman leaving mass, the woman was killed.

Its possible there's a connection there somewhere..maybe someone will help me out.

Motorised vehicles are turning on us? God help us all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Yeah I'm sure, spaceships invading the earth would maybe be an exception, still why even bother adding the comment above? It in no way related to 99.999999999999999999999% of the usage of phones in cars. Its almost like drivers cling to any circumstance that justifies their bad behaviour.

Here's what can be drawn from start of this month alone, and remember this is early days yet:

Well it's more likely than the Pope ringing, I'd imagine :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: There are two other current threads on cycling safety, the title on this one is misleading and I think we can safely say has drifted from the OP regardless. Please continue any relevant conversation in ther other threads but I am locking this one up for now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement