Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlestown, Finglas

Options
  • 06-09-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

Haven't posted here in years.

I am looking to buy a house in Charlestown. I'm originally from West Finglas but have no clue about the Charlestown area. I've driven and walked around and it seems safe enough but obviously this gives me only a small slice of what's going on. I've asked the Gardai and they are unwilling to comment.

What's it like to live in?..from visiting the area there seems to a lot of groups of youths hanging around which gives me cause for concern.

Can people share their experiences of living there?

Thanks

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

QuickB wrote: »
    Hi All,

Haven't posted here in years.

I am looking to buy a house in Charlestown. I'm originally from West Finglas but have no clue about the Charlestown area. I've driven and walked around and it seems safe enough but obviously this gives me only a small slice of what's going on. I've asked the Gardai and they are unwilling to comment.

What's it like to live in?..from visiting the area there seems to a lot of groups of youths hanging around which gives me cause for concern.

Can people share their experiences of living there?

Thanks

B

are you thinking of buying above the shopping centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 QuickB

I really don't know yet. I am open to Melville, Lanesborough etc. Apartment, townhouse, Duplex are all options as I don't need much space, only need extra room for when my kids visit :0.

Addendum: really looking to see if there any antisocial behaviors as I'm at a loss without hanging around the area like a loon. :D

I'm not looking for information regarding facilties or public transport.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

My uncle owned a house in Charlestown and ended up moving.

Several reasons, but mainly:
    - a shooting around the corner from the house
    - a change in access to the estate that meant significantly more traffic passing their house
    - groups of teenagers hanging around opposite their house thinking they couldn't be seen

This was about 5 years ago. Whether things have changed now, perhaps. You're always going to get groups of teenagers, if not now, further down the line when the people who live there now have babies.

I can't comment on the shooting either, but I'm not sure that many parts of Dublin are "safe" with the current fued.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I rented a 1 bed over the shopping centre for a year and it was the best place I ever lived. The green areas are really well-maintained and the security is brilliant - the access codes to the doors on the street are changed all the time, and the security patrol all the time so absolutely no trouble whatsoever. Neighbours were grand too. Couldn't hear a bit of noise or anything like that from the shopping centre either. Would definitely recommend if you're considering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I live in Lanesborough. I love it. I've moved here from Dun Laoghaire.

Groups of teens do hang around - the park. Lovely big park and green space. No problems, per se, with the teens. They hang around the park mostly and don't really disturb anyone.

The area has no more/no less trouble than anywhere else. The area has a good mix of people - couples with young kids, families with teens, more mature families, etc.

Great facilities around - Charlestown shopping centre, the pub, chinese, chipper, chemist, at the side of the estate. A few football and GAA clubs in the area too. New cinema and Leisureplex opened last year. Right beside the M50 and airport. Good bus routes to town (140, 19, 83, 40).

Depending on where you actually live - house, apt, etc, you will get a slightly different experience, but in general it's a great place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Friend lives across the road from the centre. Issues include tyres being slashed, car keyed, open drug dealing, noise, litter... He wishes he'd never gone near the place but huge negative equity so he's stuck.

thanks all. seems to be a mixed bag of polarised opinions.

I'll take a drive or a cycle up there again and see how I feel about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm living here 10 years now.
    I grew up in Finglas west too, beside cappagh hospital.

Cityside as it's known, is my estate.
    Close to everything.
    If j wake up on a Sunday morning I can wake to spar for milk.
    If I want a drink I have the pub.
    Curry shop.
    Chipper.
    Pharmacy.
    Charlestown across the road.
    140 bus, which is a dream! Every 10 mins or so and your in oconnell Street in 20 mins.

Loads of kids no compared to 5,6 years ago as people have settled and made families. Kids hang around the large park but I've never seen trouble per se.

The alleged shooting took place on lanesborough park many years ago. I believe the house was rented out at that time.

Well kept areas but all depends on what you want to buy, house, duplex etc
    Remember there will be management fees as the estates have not been taking in charge yet (Cityside, city gate at least. Not sure about lanesborough).

Hi,
    The replies are much appreciated. I know a lot of this is down to sheer luck and you could end living next door to a complete lunatic no matter where you go.

Took a drive through each of the estates last night. very quiet and a few young kids out playing. So all good on that front.

The only issue I saw was parking...there seems to be lots of cars in some of the streets parked on the double yellows etc. I can live with that.

B

QuickB wrote: »
    The only issue I saw was parking...there seems to be lots of cars in some of the streets parked on the double yellows etc. I can live with that.

B

That would be Lanesborough Estate!

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    That would be Lanesborough Estate!

Lanesborough Square.

Each part of Lanesborough is separate, with their own management companies.

Paulw wrote: »
    Lanesborough Square.

Each part of Lanesborough is separate, with their own management companies.

Its a nuisance that the main road through lanes borough is allowed to be block d so bad with parked cars.

kceire wrote: »
    Its a nuisance that the main road through lanes borough is allowed to be block d so bad with parked cars.

I agree. We've been on to the council many many times. They have said it's up to the Gardai to enforce parking.

The area along Lanesborough Court is worse again, where there are no double yellow lines and people park both sides of the road, making it just a single lane. Frustrating.

The usual problem though, with too many cars and not enough parking. Many homes with 2-3 cars per unit, with only one parking space per unit.

Advertisement