Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDTV or Monitor ?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what most people on here use.
    Any advantage to one over the other or does it not matter to you?

Use a monitor myself but sometimes feel like getting a nice new expensive TV for my Playstation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have mine hooked up to my monitor so I can quickly change over to the pc if I want and everything is to hand
    also I can actually see what is on the screen as I'm a bit short sighted and had to move closer to the tv when trying to read or identify small things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I play it on a tv,the pixel density looks great on a 23" or so monitor though. I used to have the ps4 connected to my second pc monitor but i missed using surround sound on the TV too much so went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: Just found this. I have questions you guys can, doubtless, answer! This whole question of PS3 through screen or TV has been doing my head in for some time.

Is it feasible to run a computer and a PS3 through the same screen? I honestly don't know. I'd dearly love some feedback from anyone who understands this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Stigura wrote: »
    Is it feasible to run a computer and a PS3 through the same screen?

Assuming that the screen has multiple inputs that can accept the correct signal (e.g. hdcp) yes, though obviously only displaying the selected one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

:eek: Just found this. I have questions you guys can, doubtless, answer! This whole question of PS3 through screen or TV has been doing my head in for some time.

Is it feasible to run a computer and a PS3 through the same screen? I honestly don't know. I'd dearly love some feedback from anyone who understands this stuff.

I use a BenQ monitor that has two HDMI ports so yes, you could use a PS3 and PC with the same display.

• Advertisement

Ahh. My screen has only one HDMI hole. PC's attached via the blue one ye screw on with two rods. I think my geek mate was saying I'd have to plug / unplug one or the other, to use? As if!!!

Just see me, playing away. Hmm. Think I'll just check my email. Turn the screen over in my lap. Pull out a plug. Dig one in. Start twisting screws .....

No. Maybe if I'd known about this when I went screen shopping? But, then; It was having this lovely new screen in the first place that drew me to playing again.

Looks like a TV then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Ahh. My screen has only one HDMI hole. PC's attached via the blue one ye screw on with two rods. I think my geek mate was saying I'd have to plug / unplug one or the other, to use? As if!!!

Just see me, playing away. Hmm. Think I'll just check my email. Turn the screen over in my lap. Pull out a plug. Dig one in. Start twisting screws .....

No. Maybe if I'd known about this when I went screen shopping? But, then; It was having this lovely new screen in the first place that drew me to playing again.

Looks like a TV then.

You can buy splitters online. That'll work for you too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOWTECH-Pigtail-Connector-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B019MJM2ZU/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1474377033&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi+splitter

:eek: Good god!!! Thanks!

Rushed off my feet this minute. But, I'll have a better look at that, tonight. Ye may have just saved me buying a whole TV!

Grahamer666; Bugger! I got back and studied that Switcher. Unfortunately, it only works between HDMI devices. My PC has no HDMI outlets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Depending what ports the monitor and PC have will decide what can be done.

If the monitor has either Display Port or DVI you should be able to connect the PC via one of those and the PS can use the HDMI.

Actually from reading an earlier post,sounds like your already using DVI for the PC. Just stick the PS in the HDMI?

It cant display both images at the same time so need to use 1 at a time,but switching over wont require the removal of either cabel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement