Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 An Post Ras na mBan

Options
  • 06-09-2016 2:32pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Starts tomorrow in Kilkenny

Route details for all stages here

Entries

Where to watch

Best of luck to all 121 riders taking part across 25 teams including 4 Irish teams with a number of strong Irish riders guesting for some of the overseas teams, although the Brits are also out in force for this one

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Good luck to all (even the Brits ;) )

I see we have cycling royalty too with big Maggy as a DS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Someone must have told the Brits they couldn't do it Rás na mBan post Brexit, cos they're certainly out in numbers this year!

The Kilkenny city criterium on Saturday should be crackin viewing. Hope they get the weather for it so it showcases the event and the host city.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

fat bloke wrote: »
    Someone must have told the Brits they couldn't do it Rás na mBan post Brexit, cos they're certainly out in numbers this year!
    Think Havoc's been selling the place to them. Needs to deliver on his promises now....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stage 1 goes to Dane Rikke Lonne of Team Crescent D.A.R.E

She broke away with not much more than 10km to go and held her lead to the end

Twitter Feed

No GC details up yet, but I presume they will be on the website later on

Video montages are pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/b62rptLY3Mk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have one of our junior club members in it this year, gives some more interest. :)

Twenty twenty is when I'm targeting getting one of mine in this race. She doesn't know yet mind .....

Sorry I know pics are huge, but they're fab!

image-12.jpeg

image-23.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

QueensGael wrote: »
    Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Follow the @rasnamban twitter feed, there are loads of pics on that. The whole race and pelethon just look fantastic. The riders, the bikes, the gear. Add in the support from Honda Ireland and Kilkenny, and it seems the Gardaí can't do enough. The event is looking really really top class, top drawer.

Fair play to all involved.

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    I see we have cycling royalty too with big Maggy as a DS :)
    His daughter's racing aged 15, maybe I should be targeting 2018
    Beasty wrote: »
    Twenty twenty is when I'm targeting getting one of mine in this race. She doesn't know yet mind .....

Seems to be some very positive feedback about this year's event on Twitter. Well done to all the organisers - looks like it's better yet again this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe I should be targeting 2018

I know they make them different in Yorkshire Beasty but no matter how long you wait its not going to happen for you with out a few minor "adjustments"

B58T0DbCMAAxTrG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I would've liked to get home to KK this weekend to view some of the racing but I can't make it :(

(A trip to Lanzarote will have to do instead :) )

Wow. Dunno how many of ye are following the twitter mo-sheen but stage sounded awesome today. Summit finish, gales and driving rain. Lydia Boylan away in the break and finished second and race leader Rikke Lønne bossing the day with a solo over the line. Savage riding on what must have been a savage stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Followed it as you did. Remarkable that a 3 man (?) breakaway including race leader formed after about 10 km and gradually stretched their lead to about 5 mins at foot of final climb where leader Lonne took off to finish over 2 mins clear on top of a wind and rain lashed Mount Leinster.
    Chapeaux? all round today

Kilkenny and in particular its castle provided a fantastic backdrop to tonight's crit. Alas there was a crash on the penultimate lap leading to the race being neutralised and then stopped altogether as the ambulance cover was no longer available. Therefore standings remain as they were after this morning's TT

Report here

Frickin awesome atmosphere down in Kilkenny. The city deserves a huge "fair play t'ye" for how they've embraced the event. You cannot come within an a$$'s roar of Kilkenny without being made aware of the fact that the event is on and is welcome and is being facilitated absolutely. Even the eye-level gents urinal literature was an article in the Indo about the race :)

Pity about the crash of course but I think everyone is essentially ok, or will be in time, and what people did see of the crit was really most impressive.

The speed of the girls coming around the last corner was savage, if the video does it justice at all.

https://youtu.be/_kibLq9ZrQM

Great backdrop for a race

IMG_20160910_191824.jpg

IMG_20160910_191815.jpg

IMG_20160910_182624.jpg

IMG_20160910_175213.jpg

• Advertisement

Some really really cool bike pørn around too.

IMG_20160910_153857.jpg

IMG_20160910_153851.jpg

IMG_20160910_153846.jpg

Cool vid. All it's missing is a tricolour and 21 gun salute :D

https://twitter.com/RasnamBan/status/774654656345739264?s=09

See the race made RTE six one news yesterday. Much excitement and delight.
    Some welcome coverage in the papers too. Great big back page photo in the Irish Examiner and a piece in the Indo.

Nice to see the mainstream media at least acknowledging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

I was in Kilkenny with the camera for stage 5 of Ras na mBan 2016 on sat eve. Some photos below

http://preview.tinyurl.com/jnuqpjt

Also https://www.facebook.com/PhotographybyDamienConway/photos/?tab=album&album_id=336985896639615

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Advertisement