Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a home security system...

Options
  • 06-09-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of pricing up a monitored home alarm system but am curious as to what is actually the best way to proceed. Hopefully there's a few experts here.

House is a regular semi D in south Dublin.

Should I go for a perimeter system or motion sensors, or both?

Is CCTV worth looking into?

There's a vast amount of choice so I guess I just need to narrow it down in my head first!

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Start with the alarm first.
    Perimeter protection on all accessible windows and doors backed up with one or 2 PiR (motion sensors)
    Shop around & get 3 people out to do a survey and give you a written specification & system design proposal. (this is a legal requirement)
    The same with CCTV. This is a massive market so you need to decide on a budget. You can go from very basic CCTV at €500+ to Full 4K HD at a couple of thousand depending or the number of cameras etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Go with a perimeter system, this is a much better option as, if all your external windows and doors are fitted with inertia shock sensors a intruder is detected before he actually gains access to your home.

Also if you get a beam system only installed, then the intruder can gain access and actually cause hundreds of euros worth of damage to whatever door or window he came in through before the alarm system activates.

A few installation companies insist on only fitting decoy external sounders, the idea here is that they only want you to have your system monitored by them and that if you ever cancel this monitoring then the only sounder on your system is an internal one which can very easily be dismantled by a determined intruder, a working external sounder would give them a much bigger challenge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Cheers, that's the kind of info I needed.

If anyone has any recommendations of suppliers (or you are one yourself) please feel free to PM them over to me.

Also for monitoring should I do self or remote?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Central station monitoring is the best. But you pay for it either monthly or annually.
    Self monitoring is generally free with no running costs if using apps & IP .
    They are 2 different products & many people have both. Central station monitoring for the security & peace of mind & Apps & remote control for convenience.
    As always shop around.

Advertisement