Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving insurance after returning from Canada

Options
  • 06-09-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I returned from Canada Dec 2015 after being there since Oct 2012. Trying to find insurance on a van for work. Most companies won't even quote me due to lack of an EU no-claims bonus. Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice on which company was best?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

I returned from Canada Dec 2015 after being there since Oct 2012. Trying to find insurance on a van for work. Most companies won't even quote me due to lack of an EU no-claims bonus. Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice on which company was best?

Thanks in advance

I had the same problem when I came back. I went with a broker in the end. They were the only ones who gave me credit for my experience in Canada. I had to get a letter from the insurance company in Canada confirming the cover period. It gave me a rating too, I got 6*, which makes no sense but it's the highest rating they would give.

The broker totally understood what I was talking about and they did the leg work with the insurance companies. They brought the quote down to about a third of what the insurance companies who would quote me were quoting.

The broker I used was:
    http://glennons.ie/

But I'm sure any other broker may be able to help too. I got insurance with Allianz in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

CBCB2 wrote: »
    I had the same problem when I came back. I went with a broker in the end. They were the only ones who gave me credit for my experience in Canada. I had to get a letter from the insurance company in Canada confirming the cover period. It gave me a rating too, I got 6*, which makes no sense but it's the highest rating they would give.

The broker totally understood what I was talking about and they did the leg work with the insurance companies. They brought the quote down to about a third of what the insurance companies who would quote me were quoting.

The broker I used was:
    http://glennons.ie/

But I'm sure any other broker may be able to help too. I got insurance with Allianz in the end.

Thanks for your advice!

Using a broker here now too, seems like Allianz will give me a more reasonable quote than the 5500e I was being quoted by other companies but it all hinges on if they accept the Canadian insurance details. What a nightmare.

Allianz now won't accept the 3 year of claim free driving I did on a fleet policy and my personal car policy was only for 24 months so no good to them apparently. Glennons.ie have been added to the long list of brokers/insurance companies that are point blank refusing to even give me a quote! FBD changed their mind after I reminded them the parents farm and jeep are insured with them and so decided to quote me afterall. Hopefully can still get something better than the 2600e they want me to pay!

JtByrne wrote: »
    Try Kennco. They usually accept drivers that other insurers won't take.

No joy, must have 3 year no claims to get van insurance with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Allianz now won't accept the 3 year of claim free driving I did on a fleet policy and my personal car policy was only for 24 months so no good to them apparently. Glennons.ie have been added to the long list of brokers/insurance companies that are point blank refusing to even give me a quote! FBD changed their mind after I reminded them the parents farm and jeep are insured with them and so decided to quote me afterall. Hopefully can still get something better than the 2600e they want me to pay!

That's crazy. Sorry it didn't help. It was late last year that I got sorted, things must have changed again since then. Best of luck with it, hopefully you get sorted soon!

• Advertisement

CBCB2 wrote: »
    That's crazy. Sorry it didn't help. It was late last year that I got sorted, things must have changed again since then. Best of luck with it, hopefully you get sorted soon!

Thanks, finally got insurance through Sheridan Insurance brokers. I think it's with Liberty but to be honest I've dealt with so many I can't actually remember. I was just happy with Sheridans said they could get me insurance! 2440e, not great but alot better than the original quotes I was getting of >5500e!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 heisenberg123

Sorry for hijacking this thread but what do people do when heading over to Canada. What happens their Irish no-claim bonus if you are in Cananda for 2 years. Would it be worthwhile buying a banger and getting cheap insurance to leave stationary if insurance companies are going to reset you NCB?

Sorry for hijacking this thread but what do people do when heading over to Canada. What happens their Irish no-claim bonus if you are in Cananda for 2 years. Would it be worthwhile buying a banger and getting cheap insurance to leave stationary if insurance companies are going to reset you NCB?

Definitely I would recommend doing exactly that or at least remain a named driver on a car in Ireland.

Advertisement