Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plus size dresses, anyone any ideas for online/in shop?

• 06-09-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭

I am going to a wedding soon.

I have put on a bit of weight due to recent medication. It will not be gone by the time the wedding comes around. I am very fed up. I know it's a first world problem, but none of my lovely dresses fit me now.

Can anyone point me towards a website that caters for larger ladies? I've been looking and looking and everything is either uber expensive or frumpy.

I am just looking for something floaty that will hide my bumps and lumps.

Debenhams has a great selection, but a lot of their dresses, whilst available in size 16 look sculptured, that is NOT what I am going to feel comfortable in!

Anyway, just feeling a little bit low and well.... thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

http://euro.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpeu/category/dresses-742132/plus-size-dresses-4855347/N-z99Zc1s?No=0&Nrpp=20&siteId=%2F13064

Not sure what your budget is, or what size
    the billie and bloom chiffon dresses in dorothy perkins can be nice on when dressed up
    Monsoon can have nice dresses

http://www.tempted.ie/dresses.html have never bought from here

Go try some dresses on and bring an honest friend. in fairness probably nobody will look as good as the model wearing the dress. I would imagine the professional pictures are slightly photo-shopped and there is probably pins etc making the dress fit the model correct. Go try some dresses on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

only see there now that you are size 16. thats not plus size. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

While you said you don't like the look of a lot of debenhams dresses, go in and try them on. they were my go to store when i was a size 22. A lot of the John Rocha stuff is good for weddings as some of the Star by Julian McDonald for sizing (although some of his can be very figure hugging which may not be what you want)

Monsoon is another that does great dresses up to a size 22. Expensive though. If you are in the Limerick area they have a clearance store on cruises street and you can pick up dresses for 70% off. I remember my best buy in there was a dress that was over €200 reduced to €19 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mollyd90 wrote: »

What an absolutely lovely thing to say. Tears now. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Mollyd90 wrote: »
    What an absolutely lovely thing to say. Tears now. Thanks.

Absolutely, I agree. It's sad when a 16 is considered plus :(

• Advertisement

Thanks, you are brilliant, and I feel a little bit better.

@mel b, I will go in and try some on in Debenhams. They seem to have a good range.

These are three that I saw on the website. My budget is up to €150 or so.

I really like the John Rocha purple one, but it doesn't look too WEDDINGY, but then again, as long as I am comfortable on the day, that's all that matters.

Any comments? I want to be told!

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_028020753615_-1

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_120010760653_-1

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_120010761160_-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DeLady

16 is def not plus size, I'm a size 20 and I got a beautiful dress in Dunne's stores for my sisters wedding and it was not dear at all, also you can try some of the plus size pages on Facebook you can get some beautiful dresses on that for half the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I have a similar problem where my weight has ballooned in the last 6 months due to medication and have gone from a 10 to a 16 so I can empathise! House of Fraser website is brilliant and if you're in Dublin you can order and collect in store. Loads of different brands online that aren't in store so a great selection. Also I reccomend looking at wrap dresses... I previously would have thought they were mumsy and would never have worn them but 2 dresses I've bought recently have been this style and looked great at weddings (if I say so myself)

Edited to add: another thing to mention is a slip can really help a dress sit a lot better and can be picked up in penneys or dunnes.

Well I fluctuate between 16 and 18 TBH depending on the style of the clothes. Top half is the bigger one, but a minimiser bra helps out there, but can often make the boobies look squashed!

Feeling a bit more hopeful now. Hopefully!

Scraggs wrote: »
    I have a similar problem where my weight has ballooned in the last 6 months due to medication and have gone from a 10 to a 16 so I can empathise! House of Fraser website is brilliant and if you're in Dublin you can order and collect in store. Loads of different brands online that aren't in store so a great selection. Also I reccomend looking at wrap dresses... I previously would have thought they were mumsy and would never have worn them but 2 dresses I've bought recently have been this style and looked great at weddings (if I say so myself)

Weight gain from medication is the pits alright. Nothing can be done to shift it really, and at the same time it is helping a medical issue.

Will have a look at house of fraser. Didn't come up in my searches, so that's another one to have a look at now. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Lindy Bop are a UK based site. I love their dresses, they are well made and perfect for actual plus sizes :P and they are cheap too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

River Island have a great selection of plus size, it's new enough I think, might be worth a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Try TK maxx. I get loads of dresses there and as they're us sizes they're generous and don't cost a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

16 definitely isn't plus size!

I am often a 16 in dresses due to big boobs. As a result fitted dresses never work for me cos the bottom part is always swishing around too big. I generally go for dresses that are v neck and then gathered or ruched under the boobs with an A line, that way ill fitting bottoms are avoided plus the gathers hide unsightly belly bulges.

I have bought nice dresses in that kind of style from an eBay shop called blue banana. Also star by julien McDonald caters well for my shape.

A nice 50s style dress could work too, if that's a style you were into.

Don't be afraid to wear seperates or a trouser suit to a wedding either, I saw a lady in a fabulously glam trouser suit at a wedding before, the trousers were harem style and she had gorgeous shoes and a boho top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

ASOS have a good section for the weighing scales challenged.

Also BIBA in Debenhams are good (if a bit blingy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I have bought some fab dresses in Monsoon.....always on sale tho as they are expensive! The savida range in Dunnes also have nice stuff now and then. And Coast are fab for weddings! But a size 16 can be got in most high street stores so you won't be stuck for choice. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If your a size 16 you won't fit into most plus size ranges btw!

Thanks for all the lovely replies and suggestions.

I said earlier that I am between 16 and 18, and sometimes 18 is the only way to make me feel comfortable!

16 is great for trousers and jeans etc. Unfortunately I am not really a "girlie girl", so I always struggled with dresses. Over the years I built up a nice few in the wardrobe that looked great, and I felt good in them too. That was when I was between 12 and 14.

Fast forward.... now I feel like a blimp and I just feel fed up now. Illness not helping either, but I know in time it will work and I will be OK. More than many others can say I reckon.

You have all motivated me, and thanks.

Keep the info going I am going to need it for a while. Another flippin thing in January a 40th wedding anniversary. Same people are going to this wedding in late October too yikes!

Another fekkin dress!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

If, as you say, you are not a girlie girl, don't rule out a jumpsuit. They are very popular right now. There were plenty of gorgeous ones at the last wedding I attended. Try a few on and you may be surprised how they flatter your figure.

Good luck and enjoy the events xx

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

I'm a tall 16 too, definitely another recommendation for Lindy Bop! I love their dresses. I think Rock Frocks in Athy carry some of the same range and others in a similar style with a huge size range if you were nervous of buying online also love Koh Koh Maxi dresses - I've only ever bought them on Amazon but they're a lovely heavy fabric that falls really nicely so are very flattering. Might be worth a look? Best of luck either way, I'm sure you'll find something you love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Simply be was always my go to when I needed something dressy. Asos curve also do a great range of occasion wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

First you are not a plus size and this is a term I think should not exist. You are beautiful as is everyone else. I am in a similar size range to you and I find Monsoon good although their Maxi Dresses tend to have a band where it doesn't suit me so I tend to buy online but try on instore before hand. I have bought a few beautiful dresses from Next Online (they never seem to have them in store in Ireland). TK Max can have some lovely things some days and nothing other days but worth a look. House of Fraser online is very good as well ( I live in Cork and rarely get to Dundrum), take a look at there sale section as they often have nice choices if you do not want to invest alot. I have got a couple of lovely dresses in Wallis as well

Thanks again everyone.

I have a lot of options now, that I wouldn't have thought of before. Wish me luck!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Let me also recommend a bra fit - minimisers don't give a great shape because they're basically mashing your boobs away, something that lifts and supports well will make you look better in every single dress you wear.

Advertisement