Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box location

Options
  • 06-09-2016 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. I am knocking down some internal walls. The fuse box is on one of the walls. Can it be moved into a downstairs toilet that just has a sink and toilet. The chap sorting it is going to get the electrician to call out later this week and look but said no way could it go into a bathroom. He said it will need to go on the kitchen wall. Does anyone know what the regulations are? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The 'chap' is correct. It can't go into a bathroom.

The regs are complex and the electrician will be able to advise you after seeing the site, nobody here, without seeing the scope of the project, would be able to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caroll65

Thanks Steve. Was just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No worries, and welcome to boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boyleb4

hi carroll65,
    just wondered how you got on with this... I intend to get an electrician soon to assess, but am curious as to how it panned out for you... I have a similar situation but not exactly the same... I wish to remove an internal wall in order to extend our kitchen lengthwise into the utility... but the fusebox is located on the utility room side...

I cant see how this could be moved without extending all the cables entering into it... and relocating it elsewhere, e.g. at the common new external wall, which all sounds messy...SWA cables, and all kinds of heavy duty stuff!

wouldn't it be nice to just stuff it up into the rafters!! he he ... am sure its at the back door for a reason! : )

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caroll65

Hi. I gave up on the bathroom idea. He moved it out to the hall just over the kitchen door and we boxed it in in a cabinet with doors.. It only had to be moved about 2 feet away. He said it depended which way all the cable was coming in from the outside fuse box. There was enough length on it thankfully. Think it might also drpend in the length of cables from that inside fuse box to the electrical outlets all iver the house. Basically it couldn't move too far was what I gathered. Happy with how it looks in the end. We moved an alarm panel also that was beside it. Definately did not want the two of them on my kitchen wall ! Nothings ever simple is it ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

cheers, useful to know... indeed, it would look rough on a kitchen wall... hmmm... the look rubbish anywhere though don't they... will see what the electrician suggests... and will have a gander to see where the cables are coming from... never know, it could be simple or it could be tricky... thanks again. b

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

if you don't like the look of fuse boards and are putting it on a stud wall then you could use a recessed fuse board.

Much tidier. just google them to see. Any electrician will know about them.

ah, indeed... shall enquire about those...
    had a quick look there and there appears to be plenty of cable 'slack' to play with, for the majority of them... a few annoying ones might need some manipulation by the electrician... so moving it appears to me to be feasible... not worrying as much about it now... ta b.

p.s. just in case anyone else looks at this...all needs to be and will be ECTI certified by electrician etc... I wouldn't ever touch this kind of stuff myself. don't try this yourself at home! : )

Advertisement