Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy

Options
  • 06-09-2016 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm 8 weeks pregnant...myself & my partner are due to fly to lanzarote on 10th Oct (4hr flight) I'll be just 13 weeks...I'm a bit nervous about if I should fly or not...I've been told ithat can't harm baby & doctor has said it's my decision...any thoughts?? Greatly appreciated 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

If you have no complications and your gp didn't say no, then I'd go for it.
    The only thing that would worry me is that if anything went wrong (not related to the flight), then I'd be far from home, but at the end of the day it could be a long time before you take another holiday, so go for it and enjoy :)

Just be extra careful to sleep well, stay hydrated etc., and the holiday will do you more good than harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I flew at 12 weeks and it was fine. The only issue was that I didnt really enjoy my holiday grub, but otherwise fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I went on holidays at 20ish weeks pregnantt with twins and all was fine!

Might be worth wearing compression socks on the flight to guard against swollen ankles, and make sure to stay hydrated - both on the flight and on holidays.

Thea danger is that if anything goes wrong you are far from home, but that is highly highly unlikely if you are having an uncomplicated pregnancy. Make sure to bring your hospital file with you in case you do have to go to a doctor/hospital there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I went with a friend at 14 weeks, there's no reason not to in a normal healthy pregnancy. I had a great time sightseeing and eating my way around France!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dizzy bee

Flew to Italy at 11 weeks, no issues and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. Only wish I could afford to go again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The two main concerns primarily are DVT and potentially giving birth on board.

The latter is not a concern for you, and at 13 weeks and on a relatively short flight, DVT shouldn't be an issue. You're going to need to pee a lot anyway, so getting up and moving around during the flight will be taken care of :)

If you have no blood pressure issues and no family history of DVT/varicose veins, then your doctor is bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I went to Lanzarote at 13 weeks and had no problems, in fact the holiday did me the world of good. I came back feeling like a new woman.
    It's actually the only sun holiday I've been on where I wasn't destroyed by mozzies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The only reason some people prefer not to fly before 12 weeks is that, if you suffered a miscarriage, you'd be away from home. There's no medical risk from the flying itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

No Medical risk as far as I'm aware ...Holiday will do you good as its rest and eat as much as you like...:);)

Advertisement