Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirect issue

Options
  • 06-09-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all. So i would consider myself slightly above average when it comes to pc's, but this one has me stuck.

Whether i use Chrome or IE11, anytime i click anything in a torrent site (any of them) it redirects me to another page, and causes either another tab or a new window. I managed to stop it happening in IE11 by turning off scripts, but that's not sorting it, only circumventing it.

It wasn't happening a couple of weeks ago, and i haven't installed any new programs. I do like to browse the aul torrent sites, and was using kickass, but that's gone so i started using a 1337x proxy. All was grand until i came back after a week away, and now it's happening the whole time. For example, in 1337x, clicking on the search bar redirects to another tab, clicking on a torrent link redirects, and i can't even use the magnet or direct download as this causes a redirect on the page itself and usually to some spam site which has caused IE to crash.

I know torrent sites may not be the best, but i've been using them fine (including 1337x) without any issues. I have ESET Endpoint, and it's up to date. Scan didn't show anything, and malwarebytes only found PUP's which i got rid of, but it didn't sort it. Only happens in torrent sites, but strange that it wasn't happening, but now is.

Any and all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

download farbar scan tool, run it and post the logs it gives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Change your dns settings to googles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

jsa112 wrote: »
    download farbar scan tool, run it and post the logs it gives

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

Ok, now I've that done, but I can't attach the files! I get redirected to that "Are you human" tick the box thing, but instead it just says "Sorry you have been blocked"... IE or Chrome.

Who is your service provider? Are you using a VPN or any sort of proxy solution?

The kind of activity you're describing sounds like one of two things.
    The sites you're visiting have hidden iframe or script tags redirecting you to an advert (this is very common).
    or your ISP/DNS is messing with requests to torrent sites.

The "Are you human" response usually occurs when your IP address has been identified with bot-like activity. For example sending numerous GET requests to an IP address/domain in quick succession.

Who is your service provider? Are you using a VPN or any sort of proxy solution?

Eir are who i'm with. I know they're tough on the torrent sites anyway, so i use a proxy link to get the the torrent sites. I haven't changed anything in the last few weeks, it just started happening with the same link i've always used (I'd post it here, but i don't think i'm allowed!)
    The kind of activity you're describing sounds like one of two things.
    The sites you're visiting have hidden iframe or script tags redirecting you to an advert (this is very common).
    or your ISP/DNS is messing with requests to torrent sites.

The first one sounds about right, but it's strange that it just started happening suddenly. Haven't changed any isp/dns settings, still on the same as always.
    The "Are you human" response usually occurs when your IP address has been identified with bot-like activity. For example sending numerous GET requests to an IP address/domain in quick succession.

I get that, just never saw it before on boards, and i'm on this quite often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

This has started happening to me recently too. The new tab that opens has a tonne of notifications, native chrome ones that say things like "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" and "This page wants to download multiple files".

I would also consider myself fairly internet savvy.

I don't think we've been hijacked my malware though, because similar to yourself it only happens on streaming or torrent sites. If it was a virus I would expect it everywhere including here on boards.

Just read up on this site, and even though it's from 2013, it appears to be exactly what's happening. It states the malware redirects are part of it, and i do notice that, as Eset stops access to anything like that, and i get that screen on some of the redirects.

Guess i'll just have to find another site to use, and hope it doesn't have it's own added script...

Advertisement