Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2017 [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Have people actually watched Dan Biggar play this year? Russell, Sexton, Farrell and Fore all ahead of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Have people actually watched Dan Biggar play this year? Russell, Sexton, Farrell and Fore all ahead of him

I've said it before but I think Sam Davies is one to watch. His versatility could be handy as well. We'll see how much of a role he has for Wales in the remaining 6Ns matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

jezzer wrote: »
    As it stands Murray is the only cert for a starting place, no way Henshaw would get a starting slot, on the bench potentially.

I think Gatland will take a shining to Henshaw if he hasn't already. Firstly he's big which Gatland loves. Secondly he's versatile with experience of playing at 12, 13 and 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Murray still starts for my money. Youngs has stunk the place up all season for Leicester, and England looked a far better team when he came off on Saturday. Webb is still looking for form after a long injury layoff. Laidlaw is reliable but very average, would probably be under pressure for his spot if he wasn't captain and goalkicker. In fairness though he could be a bolter if he keeps up this form, Saturday was probably the best game of his career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Bridge93 wrote: »

Dan Biggar is a class act, probably the best 10 in the northern hemisphere on his day (sexton aside).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Dan Biggar is a class act, probably the best 10 in the northern hemisphere on his day (sexton aside).

Many many Welsh fans are calling for Davies to start. Biggar went off at half time last week, and Davies was a huge part of their revival. DB is out of format the moment, that's for sure.

I'm not running down the ireland team but it is a fact that we just dont have the world class players we used to have, we have some very good players but the main lads are almost over the hill and the young lads have to make massive improvements...heaslip, kearney and O Brien all have their best days behind them, Best is no spring chicken, Henshaw is promising but hes no Brian O Driscoll, Ringrose for me still hasn't lived up to all the hype, the pairing are no BOD and Darce.... Payne is a massive massive loss, its also time to give O Halloran a go at full back and next week against Italy is the time to do it.
    4 and 8 years ago the Irish lads were the backbone of the lions, now they will be lucky to be bit part players, thats just the way it is unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I think Biggar went off injured but many Welsh people were delighted he went off. There was some confusion as to whether he got the shepherds crook or was injured but either way they were happy.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Many many Welsh fans are calling for Davies to start. Biggar went off at half time last week, and Davies was a huge part of their revival. DB is out of format the moment, that's for sure.

Is Reece Priestland out of the picture now?

Teferi wrote: »
    I think Biggar went off injured but many Welsh people were delighted he went off. There was some confusion as to whether he got the shepherds crook or was injured but either way they were happy.

who normally starts at 10 for the Ospreys? Davies or Biggar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm not running down the ireland team but it is a fact that we just dont have the world class players we used to have, we have some very good players but the main lads are almost over the hill and the young lads have to make massive improvements...heaslip, kearney and O Brien all have their best days behind them, Best is no spring chicken, Henshaw is promising but hes no Brian O Driscoll, Ringrose for me still hasn't lived up to all the hype, the pairing are no BOD and Darce.... Payne is a massive massive loss, its also time to give O Halloran a go at full back and next week against Italy is the time to do it.
    4 and 8 years ago the Irish lads were the backbone of the lions, now they will be lucky to be bit part players, thats just the way it is unfortunately

Ringrose turned 22 two weeks ago, steady on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ringrose turned 22 two weeks ago, steady on!

Not to mention he's only played 2 international games at 13 and one of those was the non-event that was the Canada game. That's like judging Drico ahead of the RWC in 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Was Davies really that good?

The Welsh seem to be jizzing their pants over his performance.

Admittedly I got bored with the match and abandoned it about the 70 minute mark (Italy - yawn), but I can't say I was thinking to myself that I was watching a masterclass at 10 by any means.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

swiwi_ wrote: »

Admittedly I got bored with the match and abandoned it about the 70 minute mark (Italy - yawn), but I can't say I was thinking to myself that I was watching a masterclass at 10 by any means.

Italy threw in the towel after the yellow card and did their best to gift Wales the tbp, but wales still fecked that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

sydthebeat wrote:
    Italy threw in the towel after the yellow card and did their best to gift Wales the tbp, but wales still fecked that up

They looked very poor. Based on their display last Saturday, I think England will have too much for them though England lost cohesion when France got stuck in. Jones should have that sorted by next Saturday. No real standout team so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Is Reece Priestland out of the picture now?

Playing outside of Wales and plays most of his rugby at 15 these days anyway. Very much a Madigan sort of situation, he's struggled a lot for form when he's played for Wales the last few years, can't see him in contention.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He got turned over twice in his first five minutes, trying to make an immediate impact. Got a lot better but.. it was Italy and they were goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lot of the media seem to be very taken with Hogg but I think defensively he has a lot of issues.

I think it was him who slipped off of R Kearney the time he nearly made it to the tryline.

For me Halfpenny is nailed on for 15. He is the best goalkicker too. I think a lot of people forget just how good he was before his injury.

The wings are very weak for the Lions. I don't think there is one world class winger available unless T Bowe does a lazarus. Some people have written him off but I read a piece before he came back from injury and he was saying he was beating his speed PBs so don't write him off just yet. He will also be very fresh for a brutal tour.

Henshaw/J Davies at 12/13?

With Sexton looking doubtful it could be a straight shootout between Biggar and Farrell for 10.

Murray/Webb is a toss of a coin. Webb maybe has a greater impact from the bench.

Be interesting to see how Nathan Hughes goes for the rest of the tournament. Himself and Vunipola are good options. Stander has more versatility but not sure if he is powerful enough at international level yet to play 8. Grand at pro12/European level. He doesn't offload much either.
    Warburton is playing catchup but still you would fancy him.
    Given how good the NZ lineout will be the Lions might need a good lineout option at 6 or 8. I wouldn't rule out POM. He is a great leader and competitor and again would be very fresh.

Heaslip may not even travel especially if Vunipola is fit. Is Faletau due back?

I thought Toner would be the only lock to go but he has big competition from the Grays.

Rory Best's throwing issues are coming back to haunt him and his captaincy calls are far from great re going for goal/kick to touch.
    Ken Owens is a dark horse as is Ross Forde who both do the basics very well which is what you want.

Furlong still looks the best TH.
    Jack McGrath has looked a bit tired. He has played a lot of rugby over the last 12 months and often has played til the 70th minute.

AW Jones looking a safe bet for captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

For me Halfpenny is nailed on for 15. He is the best goalkicker too. I think a lot of people forget just how good he was before his injury.

Halfpenny's goal kicking for Toulon has been absolutely carp so far this season.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Halfpenny's goal kicking for Toulon has been absolutely carp so far this season.

I haven't seen him for Toulon but I'd imagine he will sort those issues.

Just the one miss from 5 or 6 kicks on Sunday and that was from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

My pants are clean ...... last time i looked ...... [got the lucky red ones ready for Saturday too].

As I said previously it was a nice cameo from Davies but I'm not convinced he'll start on Saturday if Biggar is available for selection.

Saying that ... as an ex fly-half ..... Sam Davies is the future for Wales. He has the full range of skills and is one of those players who seem to have a lot of time on the ball. The general thinking behind selecting him over Biggar is that he takes the ball to the line and has superior vision and distribution skills. In other words .... as a centre or outside back he is the type of 10 you like to play outside.

Personally I'd be tempted to start him. I think England are vulnerable if Wales are able to play a wide game. [France showed this numerous times on Saturday] .... I would also say this about Ireland too.

My pants are clean ...... last time i looked ...... [got the lucky red ones ready for Saturday too].

As I said previously it was a nice cameo from Davies but I'm not convinced he'll start on Saturday if Biggar is available for selection.

Saying that ... as an ex fly-half ..... Sam Davies is the future for Wales. He has the full range of skills and is one of those players who seem to have a lot of time on the ball. The general thinking behind selecting him over Biggar is that he takes the ball to the line and has superior vision and distribution skills. In other words .... as a centre or outside back he is the type of 10 you like to play outside.

Personally I'd be tempted to start him. I think England are vulnerable if Wales are able to play a wide game. [France showed this numerous times on Saturday] .... I would also say this about Ireland too.

wales are and never were short of class options at 10 and with gatland in charge of the lions, it will be a toss up between farrell and biggar for the position, starting for wales is a little bit beyond davis at this stage i would imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

As we enter a 2 week break now, it would be interesting to see how selction would shape up based purely on the opening two games.

I think guys like Launchbury are working their way onto the plane (although I would have had him on it anyway) and someone like Moriarty could now go ahead of Faletau who people had nailed on last year. The fact that he's going well at 8 and has already gone well at flanker against NZ is a big plus for him.

The others in the back row? Who knows. Stander probably particularly given his versatility. I can see one or both of the Welsh flankers going. The English back row is going well but is there a stand out? Haskell was that man but is on the bench now. Itoje will go as a lock who covers flanker, I imagine.....Vunipola is a tricky one. Out of sight, out of mind. He has no history with Gatland. If he gets fit and gets a good run in the Champions Cup, he's in the mix. If he comes back overweight and doesn't hit the ground running, he'll struggle to get on the plane. Heaslip has gone really well and has big history with Gatland and the Lions which will help him.

Scrum half is going to be a curious one. I was a massive supporter of Laidlaw going last time as a 9/10 option (especially given the clusterf*ck of Hogg covering 10) and I think he should still go this time. However, the coaching team that didn't rate him last time is the one that's in place again this time. But I think Ben Youngs and that intercept on the Welsh line was a big moment and negative for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Laidlaw get the nod. Neither Murray nor Webb are setting the world alight right now.

Hooker is going to be a problem area. Ken Owens has gone well and is right in the mix now. Wales have a habit of providing these hookers who play well for 1-2 seasons at test level, get a tour and their careers fall off a cliff shortly after. Richard Hibbard....Matthew Rees....Ken Owens? Hartley will travel and is currently the competition for the jersey based purely on the 6N....but....well...Hartley.

Outhalf isn't a position of strength right now. Sexton needs to get fit. Farrell will go and most likely will play a fair bit at 10 and possibly be the test 10 also. Biggar went well yesterday and, if he starts against France and goes well, Jackson is going to push himself into the conversation. Russell blew it today.

Zebo, Liam Williams and the English wingers are the stand out options there with Hogg being the clear choise at 15 currently. Halfpenny is nothing special at all without his goal kicking and Farrell's excellence there will make him redundant.

Ireland could have three props on the plane. If they can get the edge on the English front row, I think three of them will go.

Despite the opening two rounds, I'm not sure how much Scotland will benefit. Hogg, maybe Dunbar....one of the Gray boys although they were far less effective today. Laidlaw would be a useful player.

Biggest disappointment so far for me is the Irish locks. Won't be near the main 23 and might be lucky to even make the plane. Will need to show more in the last 3 games.

France game is looking key. A flat display whether in victory or defeat could see the air sucked out of the lions chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I thought before the 6 nations kicked off that Itoje and Jonny Gray were likely to be the second row partnership for the Lions and I think it's still the case TBH. Alun Wyn Jones would have been my pick for the 19 jersey but don't think he's been overly impressive so that could be up for grabs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bazzo wrote: »
    I thought before the 6 nations kicked off that Itoje and Jonny Gray were likely to be the second row partnership for the Lions and I think it's still the case TBH. Alun Wyn Jones would have been my pick for the 19 jersey but don't think he's been overly impressive so that could be up for grabs.

Ah Bazzo, AWJ was immense against England
    I agree it is between them 3, been really impressed with Richie Grey too, and Launchbry will travel I say so they the 5 Second Rows

I thought Dan Biggar and Webb especially was impressive at the weekend.

Cian Healy who I don't think is a good scrummager went very well against Italy. He will be back on the bench though.

Ken Owens had another solid game. One of their top tacklers. He has good technique too - around the ankles.

Halfpenny I thought had a very solid game. Kicked his goals but his defensive work really stood out. Made a great tackle on the Welsh line to stop a certain try and tidied up a lot of awkward ball. Coming into form.

Elliot Daly also did well for England. Looks to have pace. Be interesting to see how he fares defensively against Ire.

I had hopes for T Bowe but it looks like his boat has sailed.

It is still very early and you can see plenty of players coming up for discussion. Tommy Seymour has been playing very well.

No outright injuries yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I reckon Moriarty travels if he keeps his form for the rest of the 6 nations. He had a great game yesterday. For me I'd only bring one of Warburton or Tipuric and after the first two games it would be Warburton for me. Can see them both going though.

Anyone else think Itoje is overrated. Not a great ball carrier despite his size. Seems to cover a lot of ground without doing much. Reckon he'll still go though.

Don't think any Scottish players stand out for me bar Hogg.

AWJ odds on favourite for captain now.

AWJ will probably be captain. Would say him and Itoje looking very likely right now.

The Gray boys were far less impressive today. Looked very flat after last week.

George Kruis will have a big say if he can get fit which is an outside bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think AWJ, Launchbury, Johnny Gray will go. I'm not sold on Itoje yet but he's not being helped by playing at 6.

Toner is playing as well as any of them but can't see him going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ah Bazzo, AWJ was immense against England
    I agree it is between them 3, been really impressed with Richie Grey too, and Launchbry will travel I say so they the 5 Second Rows

Fair enough, I mostly watched that match through the bottom of a pint glass so I'm willing to admit I may not have the greatest recollection of it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I think AWJ, Launchbury, Johnny Gray will go. I'm not sold on Itoje yet but he's not being helped by playing at 6.

Toner is playing as well as any of them but can't see him going.

I'm a massive Toner fan, but he hasn't been great in the two 6N games so far, certainly not at level of the Johnny Grey, AWJ or Launchbry
    Itoje is wasted at 6 but will move back to second row when Haskell fully fit you'd imagine
    I'd love Toner to be on the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Buer wrote: »
    As we enter a 2 week break now, it would be interesting to see how selction would shape up based purely on the opening two games.

Prop - No change for me. McGrath/Healy/Vunipola, Furlong/Cole/Nel. Marler had a big game Saturday but hasn't changed the order.

Hooker - If lineout travails continue, Best in possible danger. Owens could benefit. Jones talking up prospect of George starting against Italy - I'd have had George on plane to begin with, but think that might be a majority view by end. Best/Hartley/George for me.

Lock - Disappointed by Henderson. Happy to see AWJ back to his best. Him, Launchbury and Lawes were probably three best players on pitch in Eng-Wal. Those three, Itoje and J Gray would be my picks right now. Note - Itoje was actually packing down at lock a lot on Saturday.

Back row - Less full of praise for Moriarty after watching the game again. Carrying wasn't there, even if tackling was. Tipuric and Warburton by comparison had monster games. Really no idea who I pick right now.

Scrum-half - Very disappointed by Murray vs Scotland and Webb vs England. Very disappointed by Youngs in general. Not a comfortable selection right now.

Fly-half - Russell makes a few too many mistakes for my liking. Jackson really taking chance of Sexton's absence for my money. Liking Ford and Farrell for England.

Centres - Plz no Welshmen except maybe Scott Williams. If they want a Welsh sounding guy, Huw Jones is really impressive. Joseph has no little chance to impress but decent defensively. Te'o should get a start at some point. Not sure what I'd plump for here. Henshaw looks good (well duh).

Back three - Liam Williams is the real deal. I'd like Zebo to tour. Cases for Hogg and Seymour. Not sure about England back three. Daly's made a lot of bad back 3 specialist mistakes in his two games, not sure I want him to go. Shame Watson and North have had injury problems.

Biggest disappointment so far for me is the Irish locks. Won't be near the main 23 and might be lucky to even make the plane. Will need to show more in the last 3 games.

France game is looking key. A flat display whether in victory or defeat could see the air sucked out of the lions chances.

Can't argue with that. Toner vs the Grays was a showdown that he lost. I think they're playing for one spot between them. He'll be disappointed as he comfortably outplayed them in the past.

Henderson was seen as someone with a real shot but that is circling the drain now too.

I reckoned that it was always going to be AWJ and at least two English locks (Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury, Lawes) along with 1-2 others from Ireland and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

McGrath - Hartley - Furlong
    AW Jones - Launchbury
    Itoje - Stander - Tipuric
    Murray - Farrell
    Henshaw - Joseph
    L. Williams - Hogg - Zebo

This is not my guess at a starting XV, but I do think it's a XV of people who are guaranteed a spot on the plane based on combos of their form, versatility and 'credit in the bank'. The back 3 is a bit shaken up at the minute with Daly, Nowell, Seymour not being amazing and North's troubles.

I can't say I ever saw Toner as being for the Lions plane. Too many hyper-athletic young bucks around and while you can beat NZ with Toner (duh), I reckon you want guys that can match their athletes stride for stride whenever possible.

That said, if Gatland likes the idea of a rock solid lineout and maul man and reckons he wants one in the squad as an option, Toner is your man and I don't think he's played himself out of contention yet. Not with Ireland's three biggest games of the tournament left.

Also one tiny point in Henderson's favour - you probably want a guy that can genuinely cover lock and back row in the squad. Not an outstanding requirement, but nice to have. Since Itoje's taken a step very smartly backwards when called on to deliver that, I think Henderson is the definite option if Gatland really does want that.

Ridiculously strong position for the Lions though. If every position was like this, I'd be a lot more confident...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

AW Jones
    Launchbury
    Kruis
    Lawes
    Itoje
    Gray
    Gray
    Toner
    Henderson

Warburton
    Moriarty
    Tipuric
    Faletau
    Stander
    O'Brien
    Heaslip
    Haskell
    Vunipola
    O'Mahoney

Trying to pick 10/11 of those players is tough... and there's decent arguments for all of them! And there's probably more I'm forgetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

An everyone fit XV, cause why not

McGrath / George / Furlong
    Itoje / AWJ (C)
    CJ / Warburton - I'm a big fan when he's in form so squeezing him in somewhere
    Billy V

Murray / Farrell
    Henshaw / Joseph
    L Williams / Hogg / North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I can't say I ever saw Toner as being for the Lions plane. Too many hyper-athletic young bucks around and while you can beat NZ with Toner (duh), I reckon you want guys that can match their athletes stride for stride whenever possible.

That said, if Gatland likes the idea of a rock solid lineout and maul man and reckons he wants one in the squad as an option, Toner is your man and I don't think he's played himself out of contention yet. Not with Ireland's three biggest games of the tournament left.

Also one tiny point in Henderson's favour - you probably want a guy that can genuinely cover lock and back row in the squad. Not an outstanding requirement, but nice to have. Since Itoje's taken a step very smartly backwards when called on to deliver that, I think Henderson is the definite option if Gatland really does want that.

Ridiculously strong position for the Lions though. If every position was like this, I'd be a lot more confident...
    Those are Toner's obvious strengths, but he adds to them with his work at the breakdown. In the match against Scotland, he registered 50 ruck involvements which is a record apparently and they weren't just standing at pillar either.

He's no ball carrier but he actually has decent hands (shovels ;)) and can make a pass on the run which is pretty much above and beyond for a lock. He's a very hard worker on the pitch and anything he can do, he does to the highest possible standard. Another plus is that he's a full 80 player which he can do for test after test and has an impressive injury-free profile.

I think there's a misconception about Toner in that regard. No, he's not explosively quick or dynamic but his work rate and ability to get around the field is phenomenal. He broke the record for rucks made by an Irish player (only being counted in the last 3 years) against NZ in the autumn. He then broke that record again playing Scotland.

I think he does offer something very different to others in terms of being a pure specialist at mauls and in the air. As you mention, his contribution in the autumn showed his value here and the maul in Chicago was something NZ struggled to deal with. Gatland is someone who will strongly consider a player who brings that. He was a big fan of a similar style player in Luke Charteris.

Currently, I wouldn't have him on the plane but he has two massive opportunities against Wales and England to force himself back onto it.

• Advertisement

Three. That French pack is pretty bloody brutal. A good showing against them should count for plenty, particularly after neither England nor Scotland showered themselves in glory up front against them.

And I don't want to dismiss Toner's work rate and ability round the park, but I am looking for that explosive dynamism. Matching them in that regard will be huge. But maybe Gatland thinks differently.

Has Craig Gilroy made a case for a wildcard inclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Has Craig Gilroy made a case for a wildcard inclusion?

By scoring a few tries against Italy? No.

Can we all agree there will be no Scottish props on the plane :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can we all agree there will be no Scottish props on the plane :D

Their scrum is a disaster without WP Nel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Their scrum is a disaster without WP Nel.

When is he due to return?

On that, I thought Fagerson did quite well against us, considering his youth and inexperience, and he went pretty well yesterday too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Right now, I'd guess at:

Props: McGrath, Marler, Vunipola, Furlong, Cole, Nel
    Hooker: Hartley, Best, George
    2nd row: Launchbury, AWJ, J Gray, Itoje, Kruis
    Back row: Warburton, Tipuric, Stander, Vunipola, Faletau, O'Brien
    SH: Murray, Webb, Youngs
    OH: Sexton, Biggar, Farrell
    Centre: Henshaw, J Davies, S Williams, Daly
    Wing: North, Seymour, L Williams, Nowell
    FB: Hogg, Halfpenny

Not many Irish in there. I'd rank Heaslip and Zebo as next in line but I don't think we're going to get a huge representation this year. In a million years I wouldn't pick Halfpenny but I just can't see Gatland leaving him out.

Launchbury has been excellent recently. He is a real workhorse of a lock but very tidy and smart as well. He brings that edge with discipline too.
    He was also excellent for Wasps against Connacht.

To be honest Henderson and Dillane haven't enough games played in the last couple of years. There is just too much competition. Lawes can be hit and miss. The same for Richie Gray.

But AWJ, Launchbury, Itoje, Richie Gray are great options. Is it 5 locks that will travel?

I still think Denis Buckley is a player the Lions could do with. He is probably the best loosehead scrummager in the NH and would win penalties at scrum time. He is also excellent at the breakdown and a decent passer of the ball. He is injury prone though. I just wish he could get some game time with Ire and see if he is capable of making the step up. But it looks like it won't happen for him this time around. With Healy and McGrath in front of him he has a hard time getting into the Ire setup alone.

Is Billy Vunipola due back before the end of the 6 Nations?

Right now, I'd guess at:

Props: McGrath, Marler, Vunipola, Furlong, Cole, Nel
    Hooker: Hartley, Best, George
    2nd row: Launchbury, AWJ, J Gray, Itoje, Kruis
    Back row: Warburton, Tipuric, Stander, Vunipola, Faletau, O'Brien
    SH: Murray, Webb, Youngs
    OH: Sexton, Biggar, Farrell
    Centre: Henshaw, J Davies, S Williams, Daly
    Wing: North, Seymour, L Williams, Nowell
    FB: Hogg, Halfpenny

Not many Irish in there. I'd rank Heaslip and Zebo as next in line but I don't think we're going to get a huge representation this year. In a million years I wouldn't pick Halfpenny but I just can't see Gatland leaving him out.

I dont think your far out there with that squad, halpenny is always going to be on the plane, except sexton wont be there, he will be either injured or they wont chance him because of injury, ford will probably get the nod ahead of davies

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think in terms of Irish players Rory Best is the only player so far who has probably improved his chances of travelling with the Lions. The rest have either stayed where they were or went backwards.

Advertisement