Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2017 [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah I can see why you wouldn't be too keen on the Lions after the Oz series, it's by far the weakest in both playing and fan experience.

i think that might only be the second time the Lions have toured there solely because of that.

I'm not too pushed by the Lions now but come June I'm sure it'll be a different story.

I think in 05 Woodward made some big mistakes in picking the teams and how the tour was run which was one of the things McGeechan changed in 09 which seemed to work out much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The 2001 tour to Australia was excellent, but at the time Australia were the best team in the world and the likes of the Brumbies and Waratahs were very strong as well.

NZ is almost too hard a tour now

Which leaves SA which is usually he best tour. 1997 and 2009 would be the most notable recent tours IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah the tests in 09 were very dramatic. If the first been 1 few mins longer and the second a few mins shorter we'd have won both, two good games too.

For all the criticism Gatland gets Woodward deserves twice as much for 05.

The second test we'd a back 3 of Lewsey, Robinson, and Shane Williams and Gareth Thomas and Henson in the centres!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

So much talent available for this tour. Likely halfpenny or hogg or browne at full back. All fantastic players. And its the same in every position. Just a matter of dragging it all together

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Obviously it's a whole year away, but keeping that in mind ... I can see Gatland going for a Welsh captain for this tour, which for me would point towards Wyn Jones. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really think Hartley should get it. He's one of the only nailed on starters in the pack too.

Elsewhere in the pack you'd have to think McGrath has the LH jersey and I reckon the starting TH will be Cole or Nel. I think we could see Best included in the squad as he's at least as good as any of the other hookers bar Hartley. In the engine room I'd expect Itoje to be a cert along with AWJ. Johnny Gray, Kruis and Henderson could round off the second row, with Hendo covering the back row as well.

Who know's who'll go in the back row, there are just so many good options.

It must be a big squad with the intensity they're going to be facing even during the midweek games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

So the Lion's tourists will pick up €82k a head....plus win bonuses.....for next summer's tour......Tom McCourt is booking his hols as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

The article Stephen Jones wrought in the Sunday Times is the reason I want nothing to do with the Lions tour. I dont know why but English/Welsh rugby journalists have a serious chip on there shoulder in regards to Ireland (Irelands success seems to have hit a nerve). If they want to be like this then thats fine, pick none of our players and enjoy getting a mauling from the AB's, won't have any Irish players to use as a scapegoat though sadly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The article Stephen Jones wrought in the Sunday Times is the reason I want nothing to do with the Lions tour. I dont know why but English/Welsh rugby journalists have a serious chip on there shoulder in regards to Ireland (Irelands success seems to have hit a nerve). If they want to be like this then thats fine, pick none of our players and enjoy getting a mauling from the AB's, won't have any Irish players to use as a scapegoat though sadly...

But it's Stephen Jones, it's just a wind-up piece. The same man omitted Brian O'Driscoll in 2009 because he was theoretically inferior to Dan Hipkiss.

I agree. Those Welsh and English journalists seem to love each other though, very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

flogthebog wrote: »
    So much talent available for this tour. Likely halfpenny or hogg or browne at full back. All fantastic players. And its the same in every position. Just a matter of dragging it all together

Brown? I'll put my hand up and say I hate strongly dislike the guy because of how his personality comes across, so I'm very biased about him; but is he even the best English full back available right now? A lot of English people I've spoken to think Goode deserves the 15 shirt, and didn't Brown have a fairly poor 6 nations?

Anyway, Halfpenny will be the full back unless he's injured, hopefully with Hogg as 2nd choice because I rate him.

• Advertisement

I agree. Those Welsh and English journalists seem to love each other though, very odd.

Well Stephen Jones is a Welsh Englishman but there are plenty of journalists in the UK who rate Irish players very highly. People writing anything like Lions suggested squads at the moment are just clickbait merchants rather than journalists with any integrity like Kitson/Rees at the Guardian or guys like that.

Stephen Jones makes a living out of annoying Irish people. He wrote the squad where he ommitted Brian O'Driscoll the morning after Leinster won the Heineken Cup. He also called Ronan O'Gara the best out half in Europe around that time despite calling him rubbish from 2006-2008 when Munster were actually doing well. He knows his audience and knows exactly how to rile up the more miopic Irish fans.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Brown? I'll put my hand up and say I hate strongly dislike the guy because of how his personality comes across, so I'm very biased about him; but is he even the best English full back available right now? A lot of English people I've spoken to think Goode deserves the 15 shirt, and didn't Brown have a fairly poor 6 nations?

Anyway, Halfpenny will be the full back unless he's injured, hopefully with Hogg as 2nd choice because I rate him.

I know he is Welsh player but I can't see Halfpenny making the lions unless he has an absolute stormer of a 6N. Yes, on form he is right in the debate but looking at all the fullbacks I think it will take a lot for someone to dislodge Hogg from the 15 Jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I know he is Welsh player but I can't see Halfpenny making the lions unless he has an absolute stormer of a 6N. Yes, on form he is right in the debate but looking at all the fullbacks I think it will take a lot for someone to dislodge Hogg from the 15 Jersey.

There'd be a scrap for the 15 jersey if Gatland wasn't coaching. But he is, so you can be pretty close to damn sure it'll be Halfpenny.

Bazzo wrote: »
    There'd be a scrap for the 15 jersey if Gatland wasn't coaching. But he is, so you can be pretty close to damn sure it'll be Halfpenny.

I understand that but Gatland would lose all credibility in picking Halfpenny over Hogg at this stage, and he knows that.

Based on today and other recent games I'd have no problem with Halfpenny starting whatsoever (19 points for Toulon today)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Halfpenny will start simply due to the goal kicking. It's the difference between winning and losing. He's also a better defender than Hogg.

I didn't watch all the game but after 20 minutes of the game today, Halfpenny had nailed a 50m penalty to take his total for the season to 19 from 19. Gatland won't leave that out and it's a pretty compelling case.

Buer wrote: »
    Halfpenny will start simply due to the goal kicking. It's the difference between winning and losing. He's also a better defender than Hogg.

I didn't watch all the game but after 20 minutes of the game today, Halfpenny had nailed a 50m penalty to take his total for the season to 19 from 19. Gatland won't leave that out and it's a pretty compelling case.

Actually he didn't convert his own try so he's no longer perfect for the season. He should be sacked

Thats a capital offence!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I've never understood why people tout Hogg for the Lions full-back jersey. He makes too many defensive mistakes for me.

Brown's not really a serious option either, not on current form. Most people want him replaced for England if only we could find someone who'd be an improvement. Consensus opinion is that Alex Goode has proved he won't be.

Liam Williams would be my shout (and I'd prefer not to see that given what an arse he is) but Halfpenny would be well in the conversation even without being the best goalkicker available.

Also... please no one take Stephen Jones seriously.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think the only people who do are the ones who come across him for the first time... they they find out about he and treat him with the disdain he deserves after that.

the ONLY time i ever hear his name comes up is when he publishes clickbait crap. ive never read a rational balanced article from him.

and if there is one i suggest its ghostwritten....

• Advertisement

I've never understood why people tout Hogg for the Lions full-back jersey. He makes too many defensive mistakes for me.

Brown's not really a serious option either, not on current form. Most people want him replaced for England if only we could find someone who'd be an improvement. Consensus opinion is that Alex Goode has proved he won't be.

Liam Williams would be my shout (and I'd prefer not to see that given what an arse he is) but Halfpenny would be well in the conversation even without being the best goalkicker available.

After that spat he had with an Irish journalist on Twitter I came to the conclusion that he is a sad old man looking for attention, hurtful but truthful. There is only 1 Stephen Jones that you should be listening to and he is the one who used to be a fly half.

Regards to the Lions, If he has as good an autumn/6N as he has a good SA tour than I wouldn't rule out Jared Payne touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Buer wrote: »

Halfpenny should not be picked for his goalkicking, considering one of Sexton, Biggar or Farrell will be on the pitch. There are too many good full backs around for that to be thy deciding factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Quoting Stephen Jones (paid troll) in this forum should be a bannable offence... :rolleyes:

Remember the time he had 2 Irish players an 4 Italian in his team of the tournament :D:D:D the 6N we won and the one Italy got pummelled x4

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Lions 2017 jersey revealed on Novemeber 1st. A red version of the Irish Jersey? Canterbury always have great polos and tees in fairness.

pajoguy wrote: »
    Lions 2017 jersey revealed on Novemeber 1st. A red version of the Irish Jersey? Canterbury always have great polos and tees in fairness.

Have to admit, whenever I see anybody wearing a Lions shirt I just think no......just no.....

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

pajoguy wrote: »

I bet it's red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Lions.jpg

Looks quite nice actually, the collar is essential!

Looks like a cheap copy of a shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Brutal. Looks like a knock off of a Liverpool jersey.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like it. :o

awec wrote: »
    I like it. :o

Wouldn't doubt ya!😚

I prefer the Adidas and HSBC jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Warren Gatland definitely designed that shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Was going to get one of these, but I hate it all its missing is a massive dragon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CCC is too big, SLI looks like it was a peel and stick addition from a 5p chewing gum.
    I'll pick up a tshirt and windbreaker jacket this time around I reckon, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Looks like every other Lions jersey. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

I see Gatland and the NZ are getting a bit nasty with each other. Bodes well for the tour next summer

Adbrowne wrote: »
    I see Gatland and the NZ are getting a bit nasty with each other. Bodes well for the tour next summer

Gatland absolutely getting the ground work in, not sure it ever does him any good but it's a bit of entertainment and Kiwi's hate being called smug and arrogant so he's absolutely hitting the right notes.

Should be a fun tour, one sided, but fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Right so, a lot of lads putting their hands up for selection after last nights win (still cant believe it).

• Advertisement

chupacabra wrote: »
    Right so, a lot of lads putting their hands up for selection after last nights win (still cant believe it).

That needs to be a first step this season. The team needs to push on through the 6Ns now. A Championship win will prove the form enough to push a lot of marginal calls in our direction.

Beating NZ has to count a lot.

Given the Welsh performance yesterday you'd have to think that the various predicted squads from everyone will be getting a bit of an update.

That said the 6Ns will always be the main criteria for squad selection. But beating NZ is a close second.

Before yesterday I'd have said McGrath, Murray and Sexton were our only certain picks (injury allowing). Henshaw is now in that bracket IMO. The likes of Best, Toner, Stander and Heaslip have enhanced their chances and Furlong and Van Der Flier will now be part of the conversation, before they probably weren't. Kearney is back in contention as well. Actually every one of the starting XV have given themselves a chance. Trimble was amazing defensively and Zebo showed some nice touches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

We could win the Grand Slam in March and it'll only mean quality English and Scottish players being left off the tour and at best an equal number of Irish and Welch. The Welch players know how Garland wants to play so they'll be picked regardless.

One thing has to be said after last night though. Unless we ship some very heavy defeats before December Farrell has to be the Defence coach.

DGRulz wrote: »
    We could win the Grand Slam in March and it'll only mean quality English and Scottish players being left off the tour and at best an equal number of Irish and Welch. The Welch players know how Garland wants to play so they'll be picked regardless.

One thing has to be said after last night though. Unless we ship some very heavy defeats before December Farrell has to be the Defence coach.

Watching Wales yesterday would make it hard to justify picking too many of them. but it's early days.

Farrell is a good shout for defence coach. Was he not defence coach in 2013 though?

Whatever about the Lions, but the appointment of Farrell for Ireland looks inspired right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Wales are always slow starters and currently have Howell as Head Coach. I sense that by the end of the 6 Nations they'll have done just enough for Gatland justify having the majority.

Yup, Englands RWC15 disaster has worked out quite nicely for Ireland.

Yup, Englands RWC15 disaster has worked out quite nicely for Ireland.

Well I was going to say. Lancaster seems to be having a good impact at Leinster and likewise Farrell with Ireland.

But then I still think England were a pish poor captaincy decision against Wales from making at least the Q/Fs and then who knows how they'd have done in a physical battle with SA.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I love how autocorrect always turns Warren into Dorothy. Not sure how Raquel got involved though.

Love to see how Gatland will justify selecting a core of Welsh players in his team.

Farrell has beaten NZ twice and has won a lions series, hard to pick anyone else.

bilston wrote: »
    Beating NZ has to count a lot.

Given the Welsh performance yesterday you'd have to think that the various predicted squads from everyone will be getting a bit of an update.

That said the 6Ns will always be the main criteria for squad selection. But beating NZ is a close second.

Before yesterday I'd have said McGrath, Murray and Sexton were our only certain picks (injury allowing). Henshaw is now in that bracket IMO. The likes of Best, Toner, Stander and Heaslip have enhanced their chances and Furlong and Van Der Flier will now be part of the conversation, before they probably weren't. Kearney is back in contention as well. Actually every one of the starting XV have given themselves a chance. Trimble was amazing defensively and Zebo showed some nice touches as well.

Plus Gatland rates Henshaw, he wanted to cap him when he was 19 for Wales ( Henshaw is eligible for Wales)

• Advertisement
Advertisement