Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2017 [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Who would win in a fight between Steve Borthwick and Andy Farrell?

The Audience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

After seeing some combined teams with England and NZ, I dont know why we bother bringing any other country. Most have England with most players :pac:.
    Imagine a team with the England no.8 over Read :pac::pac:

Kal El wrote: »
    After seeing some combined teams with England and NZ, I dont know why we bother bringing any other country. Most have England with most players :pac:.
    Imagine a team with the England no.8 over Read :pac::pac:

You mean Billy Vunipola who was nominated for world player of the year this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

You mean Billy Vunipola who was nominated for world player of the year this year?

It wasnt him. I saw another player. Nathan Hughes. Couldnt think of his name :o I loled. Regarding Billy, I personally wouldnt pick him over Read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Peter O'Mahony.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So apparently Gatland wants 2 different sets of coaches due to the workload, specifically mentioning having 2 different attack coaches. Hence the invitation to Townsend tonwork under Howley. Not sure that's a great idea. You're in danger of having too many chiefs then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    So apparently Gatland wants 2 different sets of coaches due to the workload, specifically mentioning having 2 different attack coaches. Hence the invitation to Townsend tonwork under Howley. Not sure that's a great idea. You're in danger of having too many chiefs then.

See 2005 and how that worked out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do wonder if Townsend would have accepted the offer if it were for backs coach in his own right. Working under the architect of the Welsh attack these days probably doesn't seem that appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I do wonder if Townsend would have accepted the offer if it were for backs coach in his own right. Working under the architect of the Welsh attack these days probably doesn't seem that appealing.
    Presumably this is the team that scored more tries than anyone else in this years Six Nations ...... including three at Twickenham (Eddie's team got one by the way) ....... They were also within a cm (very debatable decision) of a fourth and a victory in that game.

............ Ireland & England fans may be in for a shock come Feb/Mar ...... as Mark Twain famously muttered ..... 'Rumours of my death ... etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Presumably this is the team that scored more tries than anyone else in this years Six Nations ...... including three at Twickenham (Eddie's team got one by the way) ....... They were also within a cm (very debatable decision) of a fourth and a victory in that game.

............ Ireland & England fans may be in for a shock come Feb/Mar ...... as Mark Twain famously muttered ..... 'Rumours of my death ... etc. etc.

Still, what have you done for me lately?

Wales have fairly consistently done well against NH teams true, but your record against SH teams is pretty appalling. All of 8 tries in 4 games last month for example. And seeing as we're talking about a tour to the best SH nation I don't think it's unfair to call out the Welsh record in that regard.

Ireland scored 2 tries less than Wales in the 6 Nations this year despite being away to France (you guys scored 1 try at home to France to our 0 away). And that's in a year where we felt our attacking game didn't really click properly because our head coach was trying to do that and the defence coach role at the same time. So the fact that you guys were the highest scorers is true, but at the same time not all that telling given the circumstances IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Stats, in isolation, are incredibly misleading. Wales scored two tries in the final 5 minutes in Twickenham when the game was over.

They then score 9 tries on the final day of the 6N against Italy when Italy simply gave up in Brunel's last game.

Alternatively, we could say Wales back play has been brutal over the past month and they only managed to score 11 tries in their RWC pool despite facing Uruguay and Fiji (8 of their tries came against Uruguay).

Howley isn't a terrible coach but he's far from an inspiring choice either. It really appears to be a case of him being the only viable option.

Buer wrote: »
    Stats, in isolation, are incredibly misleading. Wales scored two tries in the final 5 minutes in Twickenham when the game was over.

They then score 9 tries on the final day of the 6N against Italy when Italy simply gave up in Brunel's last game.

Alternatively, we could say Wales back play has been brutal over the past month and they only managed to score 11 tries in their RWC pool despite facing Uruguay and Fiji (8 of their tries came against Uruguay).

Howley isn't a terrible coach but he's far from an inspiring choice either. It really appears to be a case of him being the only viable option.
    I 100% agree with you when it comes to stats which is why I rarely quote my Rothmans Year Book on this forum .........

I also agree that our back play has been less than inspiring of late ....... but I do not make the assumption that just because Howley is the Lions attack coach that we're in for a turgid game plan.

I suspect the attitude of most posters here when it comes to the Lions is ambivalent and when extended to the personnel involved is 'anyone as long as they are not associated with Wales'.

Townsend has done a decent job with Glasgow (aka Scotland) .... but he is largely untried at international level. [When he was involved with Scotland they weren't exactly ripping up trees]

JS or EJ were probably Gatland's preference .... but they weren't available hence we have RH who I suspect will do a very good job. To beat NZ you have to deny them possession and keep them under the pump for 80 mins. I think the Lions have the potential to win this series as long as the injury attrition rate doesn't get out of control.

[As for the Twickenham game being over ..... that's a nonsense comment ...... it's not over until it's over]

I 100% agree with you when it comes to stats which is why I rarely quote my Rothmans Year Book on this forum .........

I also agree that our back play has been less than inspiring of late ....... but I do not make the assumption that just because Howley is the Lions attack coach that we're in for a turgid game plan.

I suspect the attitude of most posters here when it comes to the Lions is ambivalent and when extended to the personnel involved is 'anyone as long as they are not associated with Wales'.

Townsend has done a decent job with Glasgow (aka Scotland) .... but he is largely untried at international level. [When he was involved with Scotland they weren't exactly ripping up trees]

JS or EJ were probably Gatland's preference .... but they weren't available hence we have RH who I suspect will do a very good job. To beat NZ you have to deny them possession and keep them under the pump for 80 mins. I think the Lions have the potential to win this series as long as the injury attrition rate doesn't get out of control.

[As for the Twickenham game being over ..... that's a nonsense comment ...... it's not over until it's over]

I don't think it's nonsense. Any team who believes they can't win will not be as motivated as a team who believes they can win. That's just a fact.

Well that's just not true.

It was 25-7 with 8 minutes to go. That game was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Based off what exactly...?

I don't think it's nonsense. Any team who believes they can't win will not be as motivated as a team who believes they can win. That's just a fact.
    Professor .... if you can explain to me how your comment is related to my comment I would maybe be able to answer you!

Well that's just not true.

It was 25-7 with 8 minutes to go. That game was over.
    Point 1 .... there's plenty of posts on here that lend credence to my opinion .... [I'm not going to dig them up]

Point 2 .... England were defending their try line ....... and it was a contentious call as to whether North was in touch or not on the last play .....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are we ignoring Glasgow's woeful current form? Townsend has still got a lot to prove.

Are we ignoring Glasgow's woeful current form? Townsend has still got a lot to prove.

I was thinking the same but they've lost a lot of promising players over the last six months and their pack really isn't near the quality of their backs. Similar problem to Ulster to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Point 1 .... there's plenty of posts on here that lend credence to my opinion .... [I'm not going to dig them up]

Well if you're not bothered to back it up with anything I'm happy enough to just rubbish it all together. People have a right to be dubious of a largely Welsh coaching staff at a time when Wales are hugely underperforming without being accused of having some sort of vendetta against the Welsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Dylan Hartley showing again tonight that he shouldn't go with the Lions. A complete liability.

Warburton or AW Jones for captain looks likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hartley isn't a Lion. He is a rogue Hyena that lives off the scraps of Lions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Rory Best will captain the Lions. Warburton and/or Alun Wyn have no current form to carry that honour.

Hartley. Form is temporary, being a filthy violent thug is permanent.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Rory Best will captain the Lions. Warburton and/or Alun Wyn have no current form to carry that honour.

You ruled out Warburton and AWJ due to form and then said form is temporary in the next sentence!

I'd be surprised if it's not one of the Welsh lads and I'd actually think Warburton is most likely even though AWJ is probably my personal favourite for it. Warburton proved on the last tour that you cannot judge him on form, he's a total test player.

I think Warburton is nailed on for the 7 jersery once he stays injury free and plays reasonably well in 6 nations.

He is a very strong contender for captain as lots of others are not guaranteed their place like Best or even AW Jones.

I don't see anyone else standing out. Very few players are guaranteed to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Larbre34 wrote: »

Rory won't captain the Lions as you can't take a chance that his throwing into the lineout will fall apart. Other than that, I think he would be the perfect captain as he commands respect in an unassuming way. Alun Wyn Jones for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

blackcard wrote: »
    Rory won't captain the Lions as you can't take a chance that his throwing into the lineout will fall apart. Other than that, I think he would be the perfect captain as he commands respect in an unassuming way. Alun Wyn Jones for me.

On current form AWJ wouldnt be in the 23 for a test IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Lake1989 wrote: »

Fair enough. Nor would Warburton. Robshaw? Heaslip?

• Advertisement

Not a chance AWJ isn't in the test side if he's fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pretty sure Gatland said during the week that he would start off with a tour captain. Think that will be AWJ myself with his experience and also captains in the winning test back in 2013.

Then if that captain doesn't perform in warm up games, he may pick a captain who is on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It'll be Itoje and AWJ starting in second row for me, either Kruis, One of the Grey's or Toner benching

Plus apparently AWJ had good game tonight against an albeit helpless Grenoble

Not a chance AWJ isn't in the test side if he's fit.

AWJ has performed on previous tours. He will start. Just a case of who will join him. Itoje looks the most likely if you were playing tomorrow.

Difficult to see Toner making the bench then as he is not really an impact player. Henderson might make the bench but he needs to play a lot of rugby between here and then.

Still a possibility of an all Irish front row. With Itoje behind Furlong you would have some scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Furlong was awarded motm and was part of an utterly dominant Leinster scrum.

If he stays fit he's starting for the Lions. McGrath will be a part of the 23 as well. Still unsure if that'll be as the starter or sub though.

AWJ has performed on previous tours. He will start. Just a case of who will join him. Itoje looks the most likely if you were playing tomorrow.

Difficult to see Toner making the bench then as he is not really an impact player. Henderson might make the bench but he needs to play a lot of rugby between here and then.

Still a possibility of an all Irish front row. With Itoje behind Furlong you would have some scrum.

If I was to guess this far out it'd be AWJ and Itoje with Johnny Gray on the bench but Henderson is certainly good enough for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I struggle to see Warburton at the same level as Martin Johnson in terms of being a two times Lions captain.

I just don't get it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I struggle to see Warburton at the same level as Martin Johnson in terms of being a two times Lions captain.

I just don't get it.

It's Gatland.

SoB was benched despite being a better player. Took until the 3rd test for him to start and then people realised he should have been there from the very beginning if the series. Same story with Philips and Murray.

Clegg wrote: »
    It's Gatland.

SoB was benched despite being a better player. Took until the 3rd test for him to start and then people realised he should have been there from the very beginning if the series. Same story with Philips and Murray.

SOB certainly didn't prove himself the better player. Warburton put in one of the best performances on the tour in the 2nd test and if he hadn't been injured he would have started the 3rd. Lydiate was the most likely man to make way, not Warburton.

I anticipate we'll see the exact same thing again, both from Irish fans and from Warburton.

SOB certainly didn't prove himself the better player. Warburton put in one of the best performances on the tour in the 2nd test and if he hadn't been injured he would have started the 3rd. Lydiate was the most likely man to make way, not Warburton.

I anticipate we'll see the exact same thing again, both from Irish fans and from Warburton.
    Then SoB was even better in the third test. You're right about Lydiate but Warburton was nothing special on tour. The fact that they won the first test is what kept him in the side for the second.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Then SoB was even better in the third test. You're right about Lydiate but Warburton was nothing special on tour. The fact that they won the first test is what kept him in the side for the second.

Well I think you'll find a lot of people will disagree with you on that one.

Warburton in the sort of form he showed in the 2nd test is one of the best forwards in Europe, unfortunately he just goes through long spells where he doesn't show it (even if he does seem to rediscover that form for test rugby).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just for a giggle, as I always like book marking these guesses, but after the November internationals I'd like to see the following 23:

15. Hogg
    14. North
    13. Davies
    12. Henshaw
    11. Seymour
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Vunipola
    07. O'Brien
    06. Stander
    05. Iotje
    04. AWJ
    03. Furlong
    02. Best (C)
    01. Jenkins

16. Hartley
    17. McGrath
    18. Cole
    19. Dillane
    20. Warburton
    21. Youngs
    22. Ford
    23. Payne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

.ak wrote: »
    Just for a giggle, as I always like book marking these guesses, but after the November internationals I'd like to see the following 23:

15. Hogg
    14. North
    13. Davies
    12. Henshaw
    11. Seymour
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Vunipola
    07. O'Brien
    06. Stander
    05. Iotje
    04. AWJ
    03. Furlong
    02. Best (C)
    01. Jenkins

16. Hartley
    17. McGrath
    18. Cole
    19. Henderson
    20. Warburton
    21. Youngs
    22. Ford
    23. Payne

Starting Itoje after not playing for England this autumn? He's just that damn good!

Starting Itoje after not playing for England this autumn? He's just that damn good!

Yeah, there's a few players who didn't feature and/or didn't have a great test window. But that's still how I see it going.

Actually changed Hendo to Dillane too..

15. Hogg
    14. North
    13. Davies
    12. Henshaw
    11. Seymour
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Vunipola
    07. O'Brien
    06. Stander
    05. Iotje
    04. AWJ
    03. Furlong
    02. Best (C)
    01. Jenkins

16. Hartley
    17. McGrath
    18. Cole
    19. Dillane
    20. Warburton
    21. Youngs
    22. Ford
    23. Payne

I'd start McGrath for Jenkins (he's 36) and Warburton for Stander because he's better overall.

I'd start McGrath for Jenkins (he's 36) and Warburton for Stander because he's better overall.

Yeah Warbs will have a good chance at starting, however I think Gatland will try a shock n awe sort of campaign.. That's how Ireland have pushed the ABs close to defeat and that's how they defeated them in Chicago; heavy carrying, and relentlessness - don't let them into the game. That backrow would be a handful to deal with going forward.

Yeah Warbs will have a good chance at starting, however I think Gatland will try a shock n awe sort of campaign.. That's how Ireland have pushed the ABs close to defeat and that's how they defeated them in Chicago; heavy carrying, and relentlessness - don't let them into the game. That backrow would be a handful to deal with going forward.

Mind you, the way Stander played today...

Warburton is actually remarkable. He's played less than 100 club games in 7 years and nearly as many Wales caps as he has Cardiff caps. The exact opposite of a form player almost. I rate him quite highly and think he's a great player but not sure if he'll be captain again; if Ireland win a Slam - Best has a serious chance especially with Hartleys discipline issues. AWJ has a shot too, but that second row is looking fiercely competitive. Realistically Hartley is out of the race after that last night so AWJ/Warburton/Best really are the outstanding candidates bar injury or suspension etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There are four like captaincy candidates, Warburton, AWJ, Best and Hartley. Hartley has damaged his chances today significantly.

I've said for a while I'd go for AWJ, but the second row is so competitive. That said if Gatland goes for a Welsh player then presumably he has to go for Warburton...otherwise why is he his Welsh captain?!

If Hartley gets a ban of longer than 8 or 9 weeks then he may well lose the England captaincy. If someone else leads England to a GS then they become a contender. No idea who would replace Hartley though.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    There are four like captaincy candidates, Warburton, AWJ, Best and Hartley. Hartley has damaged his chances today significantly.

I've said for a while I'd go for AWJ, but the second row is so competitive.

If Hartley gets a ban of longer than 8 or 9 weeks then he may well lose the England captaincy. If someone else leads England to a GS then they become a contender. No idea who would replace Hartley though.

Robshaw will get it if Hartley gets too long a ban, unless he decides to give it to Itoje after he comes back from injury. With Vunipola out of the 6 Nations as well, more than likely will be Robshaw/Haskell or Wood/Harrison in the 6 Nations.

Advertisement