Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions 2017 [MOD WARNING IN OP]

1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

leakyboots wrote: »
    Not sure if posted elsewhere, some Lions tour statistics:

"Gatland’s men won just 50% of their games, but what matters is how they played and that fact that they won the games that really mattered, including the 2nd Test in Wellington. Here’s a look back at how the players performed on tour".

MOST TRIES
    Tommy Seymour 3
    Jack Nowell 2
    Penalty try 2
    Eleven players 1

MOST POINTS
    Owen Farrell 45
    Dan Biggar 35
    Leigh Halfpenny 31

MOST MINUTES PLAYED
    Taulupe Faletau 480
    Anthony Watson 447
    Elliot Daly 419
    Liam Williams 414
    CJ Stander 386

FEWEST MINUTES PLAYED
    Ross Moriarty 80
    Stuart Hogg 99
    Ken Owens 160
    Rhys Webb 170
    Jared Payne 185

TURNOVERS WON
    Rory Best 6
    CJ Stander 6
    Mako Vunipola 6
    Iain Henderson 5
    James Haskell 3

TURNOVERS CONCEDED
    Liam Williams 17
    Jonathan Sexton 10
    Elliot Daly 9
    Alun Wyn Jones 9
    Jack Nowell 7

MOST CARRIES
    CJ Stander 84
    Taulupe Faletau 56
    Liam Williams 49
    Ben Te’o 48
    Maro Itoje 45

MOST METRES MADE
    Liam Williams 344
    Anthony Watson 255
    Ben Te’o 226
    Jonathan Davies 220
    Tommy Seymour 215

CLEAN BREAKS
    Ben Te’o 9
    Jonathan Davies 7
    Liam Williams 7
    Anthony Watson 7
    Elliot Daly 6

DEFENDERS BEATEN
    Anthony Watson 18
    Ben Te’o 14
    Taulupe Faletau 14
    Liam Williams 12
    Elliot Daly 11

MOST OFFLOADS
    Ben Te’o 9
    Alun Wyn Jones 5
    Justin Tipuric 5
    Liam Williams 5
    Jonathan Davies 4

MOST KICKS OUT OF HAND
    Conor Murray 58
    Dan Biggar 35
    Rhys Webb 28
    Greig Laidlaw 25
    Owen Farrell 24

MOST PASSES
    Greig Laidlaw 314
    Conor Murray 298
    Rhys Webb 136
    Jonathan Sexton 106
    Dan Biggar 89

MOST TACKLES
    Taulupe Faletau 76
    Justin Tipuric 58
    CJ Stander 56
    Mako Vunipola 56
    Jamie George 54

MOST MISSED TACKLES
    Owen Farrell 11
    Conor Murray 9
    Greig Laidlaw 8
    Jonathan Sexton 8
    Maro Itoje 7

The turnovers won stat is interesting and perhaps illustrates a difference between how the Lions played and how Ireland play. 3 of the top 5 turnovers won were from Irish players and only CJ Stander got any game time (40 mins) in the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A list like that based on the entire tour is very hard to really take much from given the fact that there's a massive disparity between the standard of opposition. Mid week players performed excellently against a vastly weakened Chiefs team before the test players went toe to toe with NZ. Not really like with like.

The most impressive statistics, for me, are the guys who are topping charts despite playing the bulk of their minutes against NZ.

Vunipola with 6 turnovers, Davies with 7 clean breaks, Watson with 18 defenders beaten, Faletau with 76 tackles and 14 defenders beaten

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Te'o did well for a lad who cant off load .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

sydthebeat wrote: »

I am pretty sure he just lost the ball in the tackle repeatedly and some of the time it went to a team mate:p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sydthebeat wrote: »

I think the complaints were that he can't pass. Offloading was never a problem for him, but his general distribution is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton doesn't even rank in kicking from hand, that's strange for a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I'd like to see a list that would show the stats for each player per hour of play.
    As for Farrell missing tackles, that's no surprise to anyone who watched the games. I would have thought it was an even bigger number.

How many of Laidlaw's passes could accurately be called passes?

I think Joe Marler has cemented his place in the idiot category after the interview he gave this weekend regarding his Lions experience.
    Players returning from a Lions tour tend to extol the quality of their teammates and opposition, an experience which they invariably say has made them a better player. As his wont, Marler does not engage with such platitudes. Did it make him a better player he is asked? “I wouldn’t say that,” he replies. What did he learn instead? “How to drink,” is the short, direct answer.

“Rory Best is the one to blame for that,” Marler continues. “He is the one to blame for every time I spoke to my wife on Facetime she said ‘are you pissed again?’ And I was ‘of course not’ so that is probably the biggest thing I learned on that tour.

“It was a different tour particularly for the midweek ‘veg’ as we were labelled but it was really enjoyable. It was more like an old school sort of tour basically. I didn’t expect it – I thought those days are kind of gone now. Everything is ultra professional isn’t it?

“That didn’t detract from us working our bollocks off as much as we could because we wanted to be part of a successful Lions tour,” Marler said. “We wanted the boys to go out there and win 3-0. We trained very hard and we pushed boys in our positions as hard as we could to make sure they were ready for the Tests.”

I can't imagine Rory Best would be too thrilled with those comments. The midweek team were on the p*ss whilst there and 3 of the 4 midweek games were lost...Gatland has a long memory. If he's coach in 2021, I would expect these comments have done Marler no favours at all. The guy is a moron.

Buer wrote: »
    I think Joe Marler has cemented his place in the idiot category after the interview he gave this weekend regarding his Lions experience.

I can't imagine Rory Best would be too thrilled with those comments. The midweek team were on the p*ss whilst there and 3 of the 4 midweek games were lost...Gatland has a long memory. If he's coach in 2021, I would expect these comments have done Marler no favours at all. The guy is a moron.

No word yet on a DVD or whatever format Lions Tour documentary. Enjoyed the last one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

He told the truth as he saw it....I have no issues with that...

Erik Shin wrote:

As The Dude says, he's not wrong, he's just an a*shole.

Drops Best in it and I would imagine he's embellishing the drinking too to play up to his persona.

Erik Shin wrote:

Drops Best in it and I would imagine he's embellishing the drinking too to play up to his persona.

Think it's more of an insight into the wonderful management techniques of gatland tbh...he's getting his digs in...and it's not against Best who's never touring with the lions again

Board gone to shïte again...no word from on high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Marler is a very colourful character though, he's a serious messer. He completely takes the piss in interviews and media work. Look him up on YouTube

He's no real drinker at all he's only exaggerating for effect. It's hard to tell over a written interview but seeing his interviews first hand it's clear he stirs sh1t in them for the hell of it

Lads on tour in getting pissed shocker.

Worst part of that interview is the confirmation that he (and by extension plenty of others) effectively had no chance at playing a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I could be way off the ball here, but I think what we are getting there is that slight regret at bitterness at being in the midweek team.

I really can't imagine how bad it is for a player to get so close to the test team and not make it. It must be hard, and honestly when you get back you probably don't want to do interviews on it at all. You probably want it to just have been a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Lads on tour in getting pissed shocker.

Worst part of that interview is the confirmation that he (and by extension plenty of others) effectively had no chance at playing a test.

TBH, I think Marler was one of the very few who were out of the running from day one.

Running through the squad, I'd say maybe Marler, Moriarty and Laidlaw (obvs) were the only guys who never had a real prospect of getting a test run. Biggar too, but when you're back up to Jonny Sexton, you're always in with a shot of gametime (and apparently Biggar was an exemplary squad member).

Edit: maybe Tommy Seymour too.

• Advertisement

A glut of players went out there as very likely midweek players. It would have taken an injury, some superb performances or a dramatic loss of form from those ahead of them for them to be in the mix. Marler had two excellent options ahead of him and both had excellent tours. He actually started the tour really well himself but I think his performances dropped and he hit a low point with a completely daft yellow card against the Chiefs.

I reckon anything from 10 to 15 players were thought of as outsiders for the test side by the coaching staff when they left. Seymour, Nowell, Daly, Laidlaw, Moriarty, POM, Henderson, Lawes, Best, Marler, Cole, Haskell, Tipuric, Biggar, Joseph.

I'd consider all of the above as travelling with a disadvantage and the assumption that they wouldn't make the test side. The only ones who did make a test start were POM who was in due to good showings combined with lack of fitness for Warburton before being dropped and Daly who was in due to a complete non-performance from other wing options and providing a long range kicking option.

11 of those lads never made a test 23 and I don't think that's a particular surprise. The performances of Henderson seemed to underline to me just how set in stone some of the opinions on selection were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looks good and will be on my xmas list for sure. will there be a Blu Ray release and a ultimate collection (includes a highlights disc) ???

PTH2009 wrote: »

looks good and will be on my xmas list for sure. will there be a Blu Ray release and a ultimate collection (includes a highlights disc) ???

Looking forward to this. The last one was great entertainment for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sure everyone knew Howley was a waste of time. Seanie is a bit of a flute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Seanie.. I was listening to his interview on the Late Late Show 2 weeks ago and i wasn't too impressed. He came across as immature for a fella of 30 in my opinion. Just trying too hard or something.

I saw no real captaincy material there. When i compared interviews Richie McCaw made and how grounded he was.

There's a lot made about his humour and banter etc but singing some oul stupid song about Nelly the cow at James Haskell wouldn't rate too highly on the craic stakes for me.

Tubridy hasn't a clue about sports but all O'Brien's jibes at him made the later look like a bit of a boll*x to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I've only read the stuff O'Brien said about Howley in the Indo - a bit off to come out with this now even if it were true which all evidence since suggests otherwise. IMHO the Lions were very well managed to eke out a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Sephiral

Tbh, I think O Brien's criticisms were all on the ball, but getting a draw when everyone expected a whitewash is still a great achievement.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I've only read the stuff O'Brien said about Howley in the Indo - a bit off to come out with this now even if it were true which all evidence since suggests otherwise. IMHO the Lions were very well managed to eke out a draw.

Yeah I agree, the coaches certainly get a fair amount of credit for the tour result, nobody gave them a chance.

On SOB, I guess it's a bit of frustration, he won't go on another tour and might not get that chance to beat them down there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I don't see how people can have problems with what O'brien has said. He's basically exposed all the mistakes the coaches made and pointed out the players weren't as happy with a draw as had been made out by the lions organisation and if he hadn't done that those coaches would have been in a strong position to coach the next tour but now that their mistakes have been put out for all to see it will be a huge black mark when it comes to picking the staff for the next tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

No problem with O Brien coming out but really 3-0 win for the Lions ? come on. I think with every Lions tour due to the size and short set-up time there will be plenty of issues but Gatland seemed to get it right this time round for the most part.

• Advertisement
Advertisement