Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GO 8 BIT (Dave)

• 06-09-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't think I'd enjoy this, since it basically has slebs playing old video games against each other, but it powers on through the cheesieness. The (large) studio audience are really getting in to it e.g. during one Tekken battle there was one lady shouting "SMASH! SMASH! SMASH!" all the time. The contestants are really getting in to it too, practically tearing their hair out over blindfolded Tetris. I'm also learning stuff I didn't know, such as that you can play Star Wars: Battlefront as Jeremy Corbyn. Oh, and the stage rotates. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, I didn't expect to watch the full show but it was surprisingly watchable.

David James playing Tekken was a lot more tense than I had expected.

As an aside, Dara O'Briain seems to be able to do a decent job on pretty much any TV Presenting gig he tries. Chat Show, Topical Panel Show, Maths Quiz, Science, Astronomy, Video Games, Robot Fighting, Interviewing Reality Show Losers etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was the opposite..

.. was looking forward but felt it missed the mark more often than not - e.g that stupid rotation dance "schtick".

Will watch another but was hoping for more 8 bit style games.. not Star Wars Battlefront.

Also the screen was way too small when they were shown playing split-screen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Not a fan of Dara but enjoyed the show none the less.
    Great seeing chuckie egg (a personal fav) but like basq was expecting more actual 8 bit games (I think they played tetris on the wii?)

Will watch the next one though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The guests also had their choice of game: if you were a guest, what would you choose? Me, it would come down to Shinobi, or Combat on the Atari 2600.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just because the show has 8-bit in the title doesn't mean it's solely about 8-bit games. I thought the games they showed were pretty varied with each game essentially being from a different era as well as different genres, and obviously this was only the first episode. Each episode will have different games.

I enjoyed it anyway. The Tekken fight was surprisingly tense (though they were both sh*t at it). Only downsides were their first guests (you'd have thought they'd bring out big guns for the first episode) and the stage rotation (which got boring by the middle of the first episode, can imagine it being downright irritating after a few more episodes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I enjoyed it overall and I liked the mix of different games. Allowing the guests to pick the games gives them more to talk about anyway. However that f***ing stage rotation is a terrible gimmick, it just wastes time and gets very repetitive very quickly. I'm wondering if the reason for the rotoation is down to placement of cameras in the studio set?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I enjoyed it overall and I liked the mix of different games. Allowing the guests to pick the games gives them more to talk about anyway. However that f***ing stage rotation is a terrible gimmick, it just wastes time and gets very repetitive very quickly. I'm wondering if the reason for the rotoation is down to placement of cameras in the studio set?

Was just thinking last night, it's a bit like Numberwang for That Mitchell & Webb Look

3808654_o.gif

Penn wrote: »
    Was just thinking last night, it's a bit like Numberwang for That Mitchell & Webb Look

3808654_o.gif
    EXACTLY what I thought...

.. I kinda guessed that's what they were going for, but it just got old quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mad idea here, why don't they get guests who actually know how to play.... erm... games?

And Snake. Seriously?

Still pretty entertaining though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

That co-presenter is kinda annoying, too much talking and not enough gaming. Also, they seem to go into too much detail about the history of each game.

• Advertisement

Was I the only one bothered at them playing Sonic on a Wii? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

That stage rotation thing gets very annoying. Also, we never see it go back to the original position. Not that I want to see more footage of a rotating stage.... I recorded it last night so I could forward through all of Dave's ads and the rotating stage. That knocks a good 20 mins off the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Really enjoying this although the stage rotation is getting really annoying, I can only imagine how annoying it must be for the contestants having to act excited about that every time.

Also, is the music just an 8 bit version of the Have I Got News For You theme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

I enjoyed it. The spinning stage thing is certainly daft, but I'm thinking maybe it was part of the setup already and the show just said, "F*ck it. Let's use the thing." Either that or the hair-brained idea of a producer trying to make the show more fun and exciting. Either way, I'd say no-one on the stage enjoys those little segments either.

Dara O Briain is passionate about games but he hadn't heard of peripherals like the 32X? Maybe he was feigning ignorance so the guest would explain to the viewer at home.

People saying they're not very good at the games they're playing - I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. They're playing games they sometimes haven't played in a good long while, or might never have played (Portal 2) in front of cameras and live audience. Not the arena most conducive to showing off your skill and poise, particularly when you're not used to it.

Thing about video games shows is that they're usually trying to appeal to the broadest range of people possible, but this often means they patronise the gamers tuning in. One fact that I did glean from the show's broad explanations, though, was that the "SE-GAA!" at the start of Sonic took up so much memory. Cool.
    Penn wrote: »
    Just because the show has 8-bit in the title doesn't mean it's solely about 8-bit games.

I think it's supposed to be a play on "go apeshít".

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I don't mind the fact that the guests aren't very good at the games - it adds to the comedic factor. After all this isn't E-sports, it's just an entertainment show. I also enjoy the little bits of trivia before each of the games. The show has a broad enough appeal that Mrs Greyjoy admitted to enjoying it (she will occasionally play co-op games with myself). Was it just me or did last night's guest Holly appear to get the hump after losing the football mobile game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone fancy going to the show?

DARA Ó BRIAIN'S GO 8 BIT

Video games and comedy. Together. At Last.

Video game mega-fan Dara O Briain (Mock the Week, Robot Wars) returns to host a brand new series of Go 8 Bit, which challenges comedy and entertainment superstars to battle it out on some of the greatest video games of all time. And you get to play along too!

Join us for the most exciting comedy entertainment show since the first Atari owner did a Pong, in which you’ll get to see our guests play each other at everything from Pac-Man to Rocket League.

We’ll also be showing off some of the coolest new technical innovations in gaming.

Make sure you charge up your smart phones because our studio audience will be able to vote on who they think will win each match and may even use them to play our guests at a famous video game.

Expected guests are always subject to change, but as they are announced, we list them here.

Mon 6th Feb: Vernon Kay vs Bec Hill

Tues 7th Feb: Robert Webb vs Gemma Cairney
    Weds 8th Feb: Edith Bowman vs Elis James
    Thurs 9th Feb: Jon Richardson vs Ellie Taylor

Series 2 will be recorded at 7.15pm at BBC Elstree Studios in Borehamwood during February 2017. If you would like to come down and join us, then apply now and get ready to Go 8 Bit!

Booking is open via our website at http://www.sroaudiences.com

If anyone's watching the latest episode: Goat Simulator really is as mad as it looks, and comes with several maps and goat variants. It's currenty €9.99 on Steam. but can be had for less when it goes on sale - add it to your wishlist to get notified when that happens.

— Kingsley Amis

Enjoying this again.. especially when they got rid of the stupid dance when they rotate the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

bnt wrote: »
    If anyone's watching the latest episode: Goat Simulator really is as mad as it looks, and comes with several maps and goat variants. It's currenty €9.99 on Steam. but can be had for less when it goes on sale - add it to your wishlist to get notified when that happens.

I saw a poster for this years ago and thought it was a pisstake on all those Tractor/Truck/Forklift simulator games. Then watched the trailer and thought it looked hilarious.

On the subject of the program, I still find myself fast forwarding past a lot of the chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can get it as part of the latest Humble Bundle for €6.67 with other good indie games

https://www.humblebundle.com/humble-indie-bundle-18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I bought goat simulator early on but haven't gone near it lately, has there been much development? I think there was only one map when I played it.

I know there's a second map for the original pack, "Goat City Bay", don't know if you have that already. There's also a free MMO Simulator pack. I got the Payday and Waste Of Space expansions for another €4, so I'm not sure what you'll see.

— Kingsley Amis

The Tomb Raider challenge last week was great craic.. made me remember how precise you had to be when controlling Lara! :) Infuriating!

Advertisement