Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Bias in US Universities

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If that was the cause she should have filed complaints. As I said, having not taken any AAH or other sociology or arts classes I haven't seen much in the way of my professor's political slants. Like I said, I couldn't tell you how my professors felt on any political subject. For all I know they go to church every Sunday and pray that gays get cured. My advisor actually had said the other day that during a conversation with another student they indicated they thought this was a Christian school (It's a public land grant university - so no). I can at least speak for the College of Science and Engineering here, that politics don't factor into the curriculum. The most political thing I ever heard a professor say was that only around 20% of your car engine's output makes it through the rear differential as useful work. Which is to say it wasn't political at all, just a fact about how combustion engines work, and rear differentials work.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Amerika wrote: »
    What is not settled science is the amount of impact man has on climate change, and the extent of benefits that can be derived from the draconian measures being put forward to deal with man’s impact.

Well, I guess it's not settled science if you carefully ignore the 97% of scientists actually qualified to comment on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Overheal wrote: »
    If that was the cause she should have filed complaints. As I said, having not taken any AAH or other sociology or arts classes I haven't seen much in the way of my professor's political slants. Like I said, I couldn't tell you how my professors felt on any political subject. For all I know they go to church every Sunday and pray that gays get cured. My advisor actually had said the other day that during a conversation with another student they indicated they thought this was a Christian school (It's a public land grant university - so no). I can at least speak for the College of Science and Engineering here, that politics don't factor into the curriculum. The most political thing I ever heard a professor say was that only around 20% of your car engine's output makes it through the rear differential as useful work. Which is to say it wasn't political at all, just a fact about how combustion engines work, and rear differentials work.
    She's smart enough not to make waves, and that has always been my advice. Now is the time for good grades. Ideological stances can come later.

She's smart enough not to make waves, and that has always been my advice. Not is the time for good grades. Ideological stances can come later.

Without complaining on the matter, there is no proof of the matter. All I hear from you is conjecture that the colleges are brainwashing our kids to have unfavorable opinions of well-documented bigots, liars, and misogynists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Extraordinarily anecdotal, particularly since Amerika has been claiming required reading and not even being able to back it up.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Well, I guess it's not settled science if you carefully ignore the 97% of scientists actually qualified to comment on the issue.
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-science-is-not-settled-1411143565

I live down the road from a ski resort at about the 1,000 foot level. I believed settled science of the time when I bought my home. By now, with the rising sea level predictions, settled science promised I’d have oceanfront property. What happened?

Without complaining on the matter, there is no proof of the matter. All I hear from you is conjecture that the colleges are brainwashing our kids to have unfavorable opinions of well-documented bigots, liars, and misogynists?
    How many articles do you want on our colleges being liberal breeding grounds and overrun by liberal/progressives who indoctrinate the young minds. Give me a reasonable number and won't cause you to move the goalposts once provided.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-science-is-not-settled-1411143565

I live down the road from a ski resort at about the 1,000 foot level. I believed settled science of the time when I bought my home. By now, with the rising sea level predictions, settled science promised I’d have oceanfront property. What happened?

Damn right. If we listened to climate science and conservative think tanks, Syria would be engulfed in civil war by n- wait a second...

http://ens-newswire.com/2014/02/28/assad-regimes-drought-response-triggered-syrian-war/

Actually this was predicted by the think tanks when Syria started experiencing record drought beginning in 2006.

You probably have it wrong about that sea level thing though:

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/what-would-earth-look-if-all-ice-melted/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

(a) Steven Koonin is not one of the 97% I mentioned; he's a physicist.

(b) The entire opinion piece is a giant straw man:
    “The idea that ‘Climate science is settled’ runs through today’s popular and policy discussions,” he writes. “Unfortunately, that claim is misguided.” Koonin then ticks off the usual right-wing talking points: The computer models are imperfect; the oceans’ role in warming has not been studied fully; the history of Earth’s climate is poorly understood; there has been a slowing of warming over the past 15 years. Stipulated, stipulated, stipulated and stipulated.

Again and again, climate scientists acknowledge every single one of these x-factors and again and again they come back to the fact that the planet is sick and we’re playing a role. Knowing that cigarettes can kill you is not the same as pretending to predict which fatal illness—if any—you’re going to contract or just when and how severely that disease is going to strike. But you can surely tell when you’re beginning to cough, and if you don’t quit smoking straightaway you’re a fool.
    Can you link to the settled science that told you sea level would be 1,000 feet higher in 2016?

• Advertisement

How many articles do you want on our colleges being liberal breeding grounds and overrun by liberal/progressives who indoctrinate the young minds. Give me a reasonable number and won't cause you to move the goalposts once provided.

I guess we will go over and scrutinize whatever you'd like to provide, but as I said in my personal experience I haven't received my indoctrination. Which when you think about it is rather sad, you're starting to make me feel like I'm not getting the most out of my tuition if I haven't been strapped to a chair and forced to watch Fahrenheit 9/11 with my pupils held open. That's not to say I haven't run into some pretty damn special snowflakes who go to other institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What you're claiming just isn't correct at all. It's just another example of your paranoid belief that there is a great cabal of liberals out there trying to take over the world through subversive means.

Just accept the fact that educated people generally don't believe that women, blacks, hispanics, muslims, immigrants and homosexuals should be treated as second class citizens. Educated people also generally support the Government giving less fortunate members of society a hand up even if it means not increasing inequality by giving a massive tax cut to high income earners. Maybe being educated makes it harder for people to believe that the poor of America are getting rich off the measly welfare payments they can get and thus aren't as reflexively against expanding welfare.

What you're claiming just isn't correct at all. It's just another example of your paranoid belief that there is a great cabal of liberals out there trying to take over the world through subversive means.

Just accept the fact that educated people generally don't believe that women, blacks, hispanics, muslims, immigrants and homosexuals should be treated as second class citizens. Educated people also generally support the Government giving less fortunate members of society a hand up even if it means not increasing inequality by giving a massive tax cut to high income earners. Maybe being educated makes it harder for people to believe that the poor of America are getting rich off the measly welfare payments they can get and thus aren't as reflexively against expanding welfare.
    Educated liberals talk a good game but they don't have many poor blacks, hispanics and muslims living around them. And educated liberals have been in charge of our educational system for a long time now. How's that going?

Look at the bastion of Liberalism in the US… the wealthy DC suburbs particularly in Virginia. 121 Syrian refugees have come to Virginia. Of the 121 Syrian refugees placed in Virginia so far, 112 have been sent at least 100 miles away from the nation’s capital and in poor communities. Can’t have them around ‘us,’ I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

People seem to think your "liberal college education" comes from classes, lecturers etc however for me I got it from the social side of college.

In my time there I got to meet people of different races, faiths, sexual orientations and backgrounds together in the same place that I had not been exposed to in my home town.

As a young adult this experience shapes you going forward and I felt made me more world aware than my peers who stayed closer to home surrounded by our own kind day in day out.

Educated liberals talk a good game but they don't poor blacks, hispanics and muslims living around them. And educated liberals have been in charge of our educational system for a long time now. How's that going? [sic]

I for one live around plenty of Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims, given that blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims attend the University. And the Asians. Don't forget the Asians, and that includes the Indians!

If you're one for Documentaries one I liked was Saving Superman (or Finding Superman?)

Education is one facet of the game. Regardless of race, when you live below the poverty line children fare worse in schools than their peers who come from middle income and otherwise stable family backgrounds. The causes for that instability are debatable, though it includes incarceration rates. What was it the Nixon campaign was doing again? And is still happening under the DEA?
    "You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well I doubt your alleged post was deleted during the move so perhaps you'd like to indulge us with your view on what the Universities should be teaching people that they aren't already?

A couple of posts seem to have been missed, it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to move them over. I'm sure Amerika will not have a problem reposting his opinion, only a couple of lines as far as I can see.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Well I doubt your alleged post was deleted during the move so perhaps you'd like to indulge us with your view on what the Universities should be teaching people that they aren't already?

A couple of posts seem to have been missed, it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to move them over. I'm sure Amerika will not have a problem reposting his opinion, only a couple of lines as far as I can see.
    Thanks. Already did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

K-9 wrote: »

No posts have been deleted. The only change is that the first post I moved had no title so I inserted one.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No posts have been deleted. The only change is that the first post I moved had no title so I inserted one.

There's 3 or 4 deleted posts still in the megathread.
    Anyway, thread has moved on so...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I guess we will go over and scrutinize whatever you'd like to provide, but as I said in my personal experience I haven't received my indoctrination. Which when you think about it is rather sad, you're starting to make me feel like I'm not getting the most out of my tuition if I haven't been strapped to a chair and forced to watch Fahrenheit 9/11 with my pupils held open. That's not to say I haven't run into some pretty damn special snowflakes who go to other institutions.
    Okay, here are two articles to start, one from the right and one from the left, on how our colleges have become liberal indoctrination centers.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/52661/how-bad-indoctrination-our-colleges-david-horowitz
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/higher-education-liberal-research-indoctrination

And here is one article sure to cause you to reach for the duct tape so as not to have your head explode. 10 ways college professors indoctrinate America's youth and how to avoid it.

http://jezebel.com/how-to-avoid-indoctrination-at-the-hands-of-your-libera-1713342074

But I have witnessed it first hand and am seeing it again, and now in full force. I’m sure you can find sources from the left stating quite the opposite, but think about it… who in their right mind would admit they’re brainwashing our youth.

There’s lots of smoke here. I laugh at Hillary Clinton’s campaign when they say there may be lots of smoke but no fire. Well that smoke comes from somewhere, doesn’t it.

I also respect that you may not notice it at your college. You go to a southern college, right? Possible a more conservative college than most? If so I can see how you may not be exposed to what most students around the country are going through. How about trying an experiment, in one of your classes, espouse conservative ideals and see what happens. See if tolerance really exists in our higher educational system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The most common age group in college would be twenties. Younger people are more liberal in nature.

What a shock Universities have more Democrats than Republicans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

No one doubts that University facilities skew heavily towards the democrats. The matter at hand is whether political beliefs of professors are being used to indoctrinate students.

I'll say again, it's possible in the Arts subjects but I cannot see how political bias is taught in the sciences and engineering. Teaching man made climate change is not political bias, it's teaching the best available science on the subject.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I studied finance/accounting degrees in university. I can say that not one class there involved being lectured on liberal views. I was also not involved in any political societies etc.

As I mentioned above the social element of being surrounded by many people from different backgrounds, some of which I had not experienced before had far more of an effect on me than any class thought liberalism ever could.

Brian? wrote: »
    No one doubts that University facilities skew heavily towards the democrats. The matter at hand is whether political beliefs of professors are being used to indoctrinate students.

I'll say again, it's possible in the Arts subjects but I cannot see how political bias is taught in the sciences and engineering. Teaching man made climate change is not political bias, it's teaching the best available science on the subject.
    I can agree that professors focus on teaching students the subject matter of their fields, but when current events come up in classroom discussions, as they always do, the usual pattern is for professors to promote their ideology, and the vast majority of their ideologies are liberal.

Liberal political opinions now drown out other viewpoints in the classrooms. How can students be well educated when they only hear one side of the argument, and afraid to voice opposing views fearing their grades will be negatively impacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

I can agree that professors focus on teaching students the subject matter of their fields, but when current events come up in classroom discussions, as they always do, the usual pattern is for professors to promote their ideology, and the vast majority of their ideologies are liberal.

Liberal political opinions now drown out other viewpoints in the classrooms. How can students be well educated when they only hear one side of the argument, and afraid to voice opposing views fearing their grades will be negatively impacted?

Academically I've found lecturers couldn't care less what interpretation you're applying to academic essays as long as you're providing a well backed up argument.

I don't know what Universities are like in the US to be honest, buy of current affairs are discussed in engineering or science classes there is something deeply flawed about how they are taught. Given the standard of engineering graduate I have worked with in the US, I don't believe the system is flawed.

I have serious doubts this actually happens.

they/them/theirs

Clearly never been on a university campus of you think students have fears of saying what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow, I've rarely read such a silly opinion.

A guy on boards quoting Tom Crusise from cocktail taking about 'the real world'.

People get educated. They are taught to be critical thinkers. Religion and other things take a nose dive. It's all fairly obvious.

You can't spend years teaching people about analysis and proof and expect them not to apply any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Educated liberals talk a good game but they don't have many poor blacks, hispanics and muslims living around them.
    I guess my apartment and neighbourhood is a figment of my own imagination then.
    And educated liberals have been in charge of our educational system for a long time now. How's that going?
    There's no point even asking for sources or evidence on this one. Every textbook in the US educational system comes through Texas, via the Texas Board of Education. Yes. Texas. That Texas. The one that hasn't voted Democrat since 1976 in the Presidentials, who have not had a Democratic governor in over 20 years, a Democratic state senator in over 20 years, and who love Ted Cruz of all people.

As for attempting to influence, they're the reason why there have been actual serious talks about teaching creationism in school, with board members making public comments like "evolution is hooey". A few years ago they decided that it was important to teach high schoolers about Republican icons of the 1990s but not liberal ones; the conservative ones included the likes of the Heritage Foundation and Moral Majority. Oh, and Newt Gingrinch, Jerry Falwell and Phyllis Schlafly, no slant to see here folks! They give out about not teaching "what the founding fathers wanted" while promoting religion -just one religion- as hard as they can, and have... a group prayer at the start of their meetings.

But don't take my word for it, take former Texas Board of Education chairman Don McLeroy's. He's open and proud about doing what you're so wound up about.
    "... we are a Christian nation founded on Christian principles. The way I evaluate history textbooks is first I see how they cover Christianity and Israel. The way I evaluate history textbooks is first I see how they cover Christianity and Israel ... Then I see how they treat Ronald Reagan -- he needs to get credit for saving the world from communism and for the good economy over the last 20 years because he lowered taxes."

McLeroy is a creationist, and has been pushing it in the educational system for a long time. He has tried to get health textbooks that promote complete abstinence only as the solution for teenage pregnancies and STDs. He's also a very worldly man...

"What good does it do to put a Chinese story in an English book? ... So you really don't want Chinese books with a bunch of crazy Chinese words in them."

Some changes the TBOE have made include...
    - Removing Thomas Jefferson (not exactly the most religious person ever) as a world history figure with who Christian icons - John Calvin & St. Thomas Aquinas.
    - Despite adding Phyllis Schlafly (show of hands, who here knows who she is without google?) they insisted on not adding Sotomayor who was the hirst Hispanic and only third woman ever on the Supreme Court.
    - Pretending that Germans and Italians were put in concentration camps in the US at the same rate as Asians during WWII.
    - Rejecting a proposal that would have required students to learn why the founding fathers were so adamant about the separation of church and state. Funny, given how much this crowd beats it's chest about those same founding fathers (while replacing them with religious icons).
    - Requiring students to learn about the importance of the second amendment specifically, and the right to bear arms. Probably harking about founding fathers throughout.
    - Promoting Joseph McCarthy as a good guy who has since been 'vindicated' in his actions.
    - Renaming the slave trade as the 'transatlantic trade triangle' -- ooooohh, the political correctness of it all!
    - Not allowing rap or hip hop music any space in social studies, where other forms of music such as rock, country and beat poetry are included. Not particular songs, not anything like that - the entire genre.

So yes, there is massive bias in educational textbooks in schools throughout the entire US, and it's a hardline Republican, bible-bashing, anti-science bias. Which probably has a very large role in the GOP doing well with people who have never gone beyond high school and the grips of the Texas Board of Education.

TL;DR - the university claims are baseless, as is most of what has come out of anyone related in any way, shape or form to the GOP-Trump movement, so no surprise there. Meanwhile however, the right wingers have been creating systemic bias in all textbooks in the US for a long time, and are happy to gloat about it.

Okay, here are two articles to start, one from the right and one from the left, on how our colleges have become liberal indoctrination centers.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/52661/how-bad-indoctrination-our-colleges-david-horowitz
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/higher-education-liberal-research-indoctrination

And here is one article sure to cause you to reach for the duct tape so as not to have your head explode. 10 ways college professors indoctrinate America's youth and how to avoid it.

http://jezebel.com/how-to-avoid-indoctrination-at-the-hands-of-your-libera-1713342074

But I have witnessed it first hand and am seeing it again, and now in full force. I’m sure you can find sources from the left stating quite the opposite, but think about it… who in their right mind would admit they’re brainwashing our youth.

There’s lots of smoke here. I laugh at Hillary Clinton’s campaign when they say there may be lots of smoke but no fire. Well that smoke comes from somewhere, doesn’t it.

I also respect that you may not notice it at your college. You go to a southern college, right? Possible a more conservative college than most? If so I can see how you may not be exposed to what most students around the country are going through. How about trying an experiment, in one of your classes, espouse conservative ideals and see what happens. See if tolerance really exists in our higher educational system.
    There are enough Trump shirts, Conservative Bumper Stickers, and other clues that indicate to me without even opening my mouth that conservative views are welcome here.

I don't think you read the Jezebel article to hard before sharing it though, as it details some pretty ludicrous scientology-like fearmongering from a right-leaning group. It's more a piece on anti-indoctrination-indoctrination. One of my favorite bits is "<this is OUR opinion> don't let your liberal professor tell you otherwise." Then it goes on a rant about Duck Dynasty and homophobia, which has little - if anything - to do with Universities.

Horowitz's article is compelling but offers nothing more than conjecture that such events occurred. Again, why can a homework sheet from a 4th grader taking common core go viral, but you don't question why a professor writing on a Vietnam tactics paper "We shouldn't have been there in the first place!" (presumably in red ink) that it wouldn't be national news? Especially on such conservative bastions as Breitbart, or FOX? And the mother jones article sensationalizes some factoids about religious belief and such which don't say one way or the other that there is any indoctrination in schools. (Besides who would have thought there would be a lower belief in God/Religion at the PhD+ level? Probably because you can't write a paper on thermal entropy and explain that your % uncertainty from your experiments was accounted for by "God's will." Force is actually mass times the force of God squared)

Again you say you're living it but you aren't, your daughter is, and unless you are mind melding with her on the regular, you're getting a self-distorted mental image about what little information she is telling you about.

I for one, would LOVE to see some term papers marked wrong because of a professor's opinion scribbled on them, if you can find them. It's sure easy to say "Well, none of the students wanted to fail so they stuck their heads down and assimilated into the Borg collective" but without hard evidence where is the conclusion?

As for Clemson yeah, again, it's a great institution. It's probably why we show up on sow many top 10 lists nationally. Pretty tolerant campus altogether. I see they're building a Chapel soon (next to the Strom Thurmond Institute incidentally) and Milo Yiannopoulos has been invited to speak at Tillman Hall next month (the Hall named after Ben Tillman, a college founder and yet a noted politician and White Supremacist). Yiannopoulos for those who don't know - I just found out today - is a self described troll, "a homosexual, "cultural libertarian",[8] and "free speech fundamentalist", he is a vocal critic of feminism,[9] Islam, social justice, atheism, political correctness, and other movements and ideologies he perceives to be authoritarian or belonging to the 'regressive left'. Yiannopoulos has been called a spokesperson for the alt-right.[10] He considers himself a reporter of and sympathizer with the movement.[11]"

A great quote here, for instance,

"what's revolting is the idea now that you can tell women they'll be happy and healthy at any size. Why? Because it tells women you can be fat and you can be unattractive and you can be happy anyway. That is a lie."

So yeah, he's a real piece of human trash. But what was it Jeff Ross said of Ann Coulter the other night? Sometimes I guess you need to see "an abortion up close." But he's welcome to come speak his narcissistic brains out. I'm skeptical about whether it's worth the time or the $10 though.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/education/2016/08/24/free-speech-group-host-breitbarts-milo-yiannopoulos-clemson/89214896/

One genuinely odd incident on campus the last year involved a banana, but I would hardly call that liberalism, just acknowledging it was offensive to black people. It wasn't so much a free speech thing like someone saying, "Why don't we sterilize the homeless" (a genuine, if not asinine question) as opposed to the supposed target message, "Haha, negros are monkeys" with little if any cognitive merit. http://thegrio.com/2016/04/13/clemson-banner-defaced-bananas-no-charges/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Coming from an Irish perspective here but I think this is the thing, I've studied both in a Science course and in Humanities.
    Lecturers did have the pet things they liked in the sciences however they weren't ideologically based things.
    In the humanities area I studied for some staff you knew their pet things and some were more ideologically based.
    Don't most American students take a mix of humanities and sciences for their undergraduate?

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Academically I've found lecturers couldn't care less what interpretation you're applying to academic essays as long as you're providing a well backed up argument.

I never experienced any bias but what I perceived was you had better backup your argument to a higher standard if your arguing from an opposing point of view from the person markings preferred stance.
    I can see this being a problem in courses that focus on current hot topics

Don't most American students take a mix of humanities and sciences for their undergraduate?
    For myself,

http://www.registrar.clemson.edu/publicat/catalog/2013/genEd.pdf

The Engineering disciplines are on a slightly different track which I think trades a math credit for the language requirement. I transferred in with everything but the STS req. The biggest potential source of "indoctrination" would have to be the ENGL 1030 class, but with a freshman class this year of 4000 students I doubt there is much room in what has to be at least 50 sections of that course to really indoctrinate anyone - and if you tried you'd have a public lynching. For the rest even in the hypothetical case, you could drop the class and re-enroll in a different course that satisfies the same requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Any university would be home field for a Democrat as our higher educational system are liberal breeding grounds.

I'd say there's a fair auld bit of liberal brain-washing in the Bob Jones university. Whatever happened to Communism? That used to be the real bugbear.

Ah yes, I remember it well. Pre-1989: " the communist threat." 1989-2001 - no threat, "defending American interests overseas" ( i.e. my king and country right or wrong. )
    Now: "liberalism. Gawd, there are people out there who don't believe in gawd."

Anyway, best of luck with your new Russian friends when President Trumpet and Vlad the Bad get together.

Bernie Sanders is a decent man. So is Joe Biden btw. What a pity!

feargale wrote: »
    I'd say there's a fair auld bit of liberal brain-washing in the Bob Jones university. Whatever happened to Communism? That used to be the real bugbear.

Ah yes, I remember it well. Pre-1989: " the communist threat." 1989-2001 - no threat, "defending American interests overseas" ( i.e. my king and country right or wrong. )
    Now: "liberalism. Gawd, there are people out there who don't believe in gawd."

Anyway, best of luck with your new Russian friends when President Trumpet and Vlad the Bad get together.

Bernie Sanders is a decent man. So is Joe Biden btw. What a pity!

/subscribed to newsletter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Film series: You've Been Trumped
    Cast: Donald Trump, Anthony Baxter, Richard Phinney, more
    More about You've Been Trumped

Have any of you seen this film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hard to believe, but I looked it up, and it's true, although the program was dropped.

"re-education"......now what does that remind you of..............?

• Advertisement

makes you wonder why the NAACP is busy too. Or the ACLU..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I have no doubt there is a liberal bias in all universities and not just the ones in the USA , but is it really that big a deal ?

Much more concerning is the trend to restrict anything deemed offensive and that is aimed at not just the left and right but it seems to be towards virtually anything and everything , and on an individual whim .

It may have moved too far to the left , I really can't say , but would it be fair to say that different institutions have always had different bias ? for instance the military is overwhelmingly Republican and tending towards the right , and then your have all the different religious organisations - most tending towards the right . So in the totality things even themselves out .

As for those specific examples you give - I don't think they are a bias toward the left or right - just PC gone mad , I followed the Christakis case and from this side of the pond it just came across as utter madness.

It is not just conservative speakers being targeted but anyone that has an ounce of fire in them - Bill Maher and most comedians at this stage .

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    It may have moved too far to the left , I really can't say , but would it be fair to say that different institutions have always had different bias ? for instance the military is overwhelmingly Republican and tending towards the right , and then your have all the different religious organisations - most tending towards the right . So in the totality things even themselves out .

As for those specific examples you give - I don't think they are a bias toward the left or right - just PC gone mad , I followed the Christakis case and from this side of the pond it just came across as utter madness.

It is not just conservative speakers being targeted but anyone that has an ounce of fire in them - Bill Maher and most comedians at this stage .

How many military and religious colleges are out there? And the ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) have been kicked out of numerous colleges. But thankfully they are now being let back in, do to outcries from the public.

I haven’t seen any reports of liberal speakers being denied the ability to speak at colleges, although there might be some.

And the stories of liberal indoctrination at universities continue to come in. Just today…
    http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8119

How many military and religious colleges are out there? And the ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) have been kicked out of numerous colleges. But thankfully they are now being let back in, do to outcries from the public.

I haven’t seen any reports of liberal speakers being denied the ability to speak at colleges, although there might be some.

And the stories of liberal indoctrination at universities continue to come in. Just today…
    http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8119

I didn't mean military or religious colleges , I meant the Military and Religious institutions in general , I probably should have made my point clearer .

My point ( or my question) is - sure universities are liberal but it the totality of society in general is that not counterbalanced by other institutions such as religion, military etc .

I just had a Eureka moment. Posters on the right are creating a false equivalency between far right speakers and liberal speakers. There have been many objections to right wing speakers, mostly far right. But liberals are not far left, they are moderate left.

If someone can find me a case of a moderate right speaker being banned from a University campus, I'll be shocked.

they/them/theirs

I just had a Eureka moment. Posters on the right are creating a false equivalency between far right speakers and liberal speakers. There have been many objections to right wing speakers, mostly far right. But liberals are not far left, they are moderate left.

If someone can find me a case of a moderate right speaker being banned from a University campus, I'll be shocked.
    Geraldo Rivera is a name you might be familiar with and a moderate right speaker at best. Duquesne University, 2013.

Let's see your shocked face. :P

Geraldo Rivera is a name you might be familiar with and a moderate right speaker at best. Duquesne University, 2013.

Let's see your shocked face. :P

Seriously? That is shocking. Can I see some links?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement