Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Political Bias in US Universities

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Brian? wrote: »
    Seriously? That is shocking. Can I see some links?
    For a selfie without a shirt at 70 years of age. Any reason to kick out a republican, I guess. Quickly replaced with liberal filmmaker Oliver Stone.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/01/duquesne-university-kicks-geraldo-rivera-off-panel-because-of-selfie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    For a selfie without a shirt at 70 years of age. Any reason to kick out a republican, I guess. Quickly replaced with liberal filmmaker Oliver Stone.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/01/duquesne-university-kicks-geraldo-rivera-off-panel-because-of-selfie/

So he was disinvited from a - catholic university? :pac: liberals gone wild I tell ya

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

When were these people mentioned?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You're using a Catholic university as an example of liberalism in education? That's a stretch.

they/them/theirs

Overheal wrote: »
    So he was disinvited from a - catholic university? :pac: liberals gone wild I tell ya

Catholic colleges in America are pretty liberal. First hand knowledge, mind you. I attended De Sales University in PA. One of the 10 most liberal catholic colleges in America.

Catholic colleges in America are pretty liberal. First hand knowledge, mind you. I attended De Sales University in PA. One of the 10 most liberal catholic colleges in America.

Yet there are so many other conservative ones. This seems like a tall claim.

You're using a Catholic university as an example of liberalism in education? That's a stretch.
    Don't confuse Catholic universities in America with those in Ireland. De Sales University only requires 3 courses in 'Christian Values and Theology' for their undergraduate program. And they can all be theology courses that have very little to do with Christianity.

Yet there are so many other conservative ones. This seems like a tall claim.
    Such as?

And now that you mention it, I was about a half inch taller when I attended that college. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Right wingers always have to feel persecuted it's a victim complex.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Right wingers always have to feel persecuted it's a victim complex.

Look at the majority of posters here (other an a select few that you count on one hand and tend leave in short order because of all the abuse) and what they say about us... And just try and tell me it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Look at the majority of posters here (other an a select few that you count on one hand and tend leave in short order because of all the abuse) and what they say about us... And just try and tell me it's not true.

Disagreement isn't persecution. Right wing anti same sex marriage folk were saying the same here during the referendum.

liberals gone wild I tell ya

Overheal, I talked to my daughter over the weekend about Hillary Clinton’s book ‘Hard Choice.’ I asked her about it being mandatory reading. She said it was, but a humorous requirement by one of her college professors. One of her classes last semester the professor spent all the lecture time talking about NPR’s ‘All Things Considered’ and trashing Donald Trump. She got so sick of it she decided to wear a Trump mask to class. She put in on in a class when the professor wasn’t looking, and off on one of his Trump tirades. Her classmates thought she was a goner, but when the professor turned around and saw her, he burst out laughing. He gave her his copy of 'Hard Choices' and told her she better read it over the summer if she ever hoped on getting a passing grade in another class of his, as he will quiz her on it.

Here is the selfie she took in her dorm before (or after?) the class. (I have some strange kids. :rolleyes:)

skdtboards_zpsb8sghrmz.jpg

He gave her his copy of 'Hard Choices' and told her she better read it over the summer if she ever hoped on getting a passing grade in another class of his, as he will quiz her on it.
    Surprised you haven't sold that story to the media. Or you know, not surprised, because it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Amerika , this just isn't correct - at least not in the Anglo Saxon world . All the real levers of power are in the hands of people,groups,corporations ,political parties that are right of centre .

Universities, newspapers, journalists in general , Hollywood , the arty farty crowd , most voters (possibly) are left of centre . But this is small beer compared with the power on the right .

Its funny how entities that have wielded power for centuries regard any and all criticism as a bit of persecution without any sense of irony

Climate change has been happening since day one of Earth's existence. No one is denying that. What is not settled science is the amount of impact man has on climate change, and the extent of benefits that can be derived from the draconian measures being put forward to deal with man’s impact.

Back on this point, came across this. I make no apologies for the scrolling, it's not exactly longcat - it actually has some purpose (besides being awesome, and cosmic and fluffy)

earth_temperature_timeline.png

marienbad wrote: »
    Amerika , this just isn't correct - at least not in the Anglo Saxon world . All the real levers of power are in the hands of people,groups,corporations ,political parties that are right of centre .

Universities, newspapers, journalists in general , Hollywood , the arty farty crowd , most voters (possibly) are left of centre . But this is small beer compared with the power on the right .

Its funny how entities that have wielded power for centuries regard any and all criticism as a bit of persecution without any sense of irony

I was referring to universities, the media, and the majority of posters here.

Back on this point, came across this. I make no apologies for the scrolling, it's not exactly longcat - it actually has some purpose (besides being awesome, and cosmic and fluffy)

earth_temperature_timeline.png
    What has this got to do with political bias in US universities? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

What has this got to do with political bias in US universities? :confused:

You're the one that brought up climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I was referring to universities, the media, and the majority of posters here.

Yeah ,and I agree with you with regard to the media and posters , but as Rick tells us the problems of the little people don't amount to a hill of beans in that big bad world out there .

And in that big bad world right of centre is king .

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Climate change has been happening since day one of Earth's existence. No one is denying that. What is not settled science is the amount of impact man has on climate change, and the extent of benefits that can be derived from the draconian measures being put forward to deal with man’s impact.

No, that's pretty settled.

The concept of climate change is actually quite easy. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. The more atmospheric CO2, the more heat is trapped.

We have increased atmospheric CO2 levels by 40% since the beginning of the industrial revolution. On top of that, we have cut down huge areas of forest - which act to maintain Earth's natural carbon cycle.

There's no debate about climate change. It is happening, and we as a species are greatly contributing to it. And not in some vague, unknown quantity. We are contributing to it in a quantifiable way.

Christopher Hitchens said it best when he said we can ill-afford to be wrong about climate change. We don't get to repeat this experiment twice. What we do will directly alter the course of our planet for generations, and longer.

I really don't see why some people don't understand the basic concept of climate change and how humans are affecting it. I mean, if you can understand the concept of putting on a fleece jacket in a heatwave, then you can understand the concept of greenhouse gases and climate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've quoted Hitches a few times on it as well.

Basically if in 50 years the scientists got it wrong, it doesn't matter that much. Some bruised reputations and egos but that's about it. However if we ignore it and they were right...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I really don't see why some people don't understand the basic concept of climate change and how humans are affecting it.

In the United States it became a political issue because of the republican party's dislike of Al Gore.

Republicans see regulation to control climate change as a left wing plot to destroy their beloved oil industry.

Additionally a huge proportion of the religious right are seriously expecting The Rapture to occur at any time so the earth facing disaster plays into their narrative.

It's more to do with most countries having no oil industry and no oil lobbying arm to downplay the idea that fuel burning inefficiencies are harming the environment. They just have the science. The same science the industry has known for decades and since been continuing to undermine with lobbyists and surrogates who will go on the news every night of the week if they have to and say the science isn't settled so we shouldn't do anything about it.

its the same tactics the tobacco industry used to fight science for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

Don't confuse Catholic universities in America with those in Ireland. De Sales University only requires 3 courses in 'Christian Values and Theology' for their undergraduate program. And they can all be theology courses that have very little to do with Christianity.

Don't think we gave the catholic universities you think we have either.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I've quoted Hitches a few times on it as well.

Basically if in 50 years the scientists got it wrong, it doesn't matter that much. Some bruised reputations and egos but that's about it. However if we ignore it and they were right...

Carbon Taxes or Cap and Trade, even in the best case, can only produce marginal impacts on climate. And they’re nothing more than a transfer of wealth from rich countries to poor countries.

How about we leave America alone, we’re doing pretty good on our own already.

clip-image003.png

If you really want to save the world (or think you are), concentrate on low-carbon replacement technologies because they simply do not exist today. Don't do things that are economically destructive based primarily on a hope and a prayer. Or if you need to feel good about destroying economies for something that will produce almost no impact on climate change, go after the real culprits... Russia, India and China.

Carbon Taxes or Cap and Trade, even in the best case, can only produce marginal impacts on climate. And they’re nothing more than a transfer of wealth from rich countries to poor countries.

How about we leave America alone, we’re doing pretty good on our own already.

clip-image003.png

If you really want to save the world (or think you are), concentrate on low-carbon replacement technologies because they simply do not exist today. Don't do things that are economically destructive based primarily on a hope and a prayer. Or if you need to feel good about destroying economies for something that will produce almost no impact on climate change, go after the real culprits... Russia, India and China.

zoom.jpg
    680px-Co2-2013-top40.svg.png

zoom.jpg
    USA -1.8%. Pretty good, wouldn't you say?

USA -1.8%. Pretty good, wouldn't you say?

I'd say when you're calling Russia and India culprits when we produce more emissions than both of them, that you're reaching.

• Advertisement

I'd say when you're calling Russia and India culprits when we produce more emissions than both of them, that you're reaching.
    Moving those goalposts again, eh? :P

I will never understand this "safe space" idea. I find them to be nonsensical and damaging. I think we can agree on that. If everyone who posted here was left wing, I'd stop posting. There would be no intellectual stimulation in doing so.

Again, I am not questioning or disputing that there is a liberal bias in US universities. I am disputing that it effects teaching and forces students in line.

I have no problem with people protesting right wing speakers as long as they do so peacefully. I don't think you should either. Right wing students should be equally able to protest left wing speakers. University management should have the decency to not withdraw the invitations. That's nonsense carry on as well. If the speakers are heckled, so what? I'd expect to be heckled at a Tea Party meeting when I gave a speech about the redistribution of wealth.

they/them/theirs

If the speakers are heckled, so what? I'd expect to be heckled at a Tea Party meeting when I gave a speech about the redistribution of wealth.

False equivalency. Universities are ‘supposed’ to be institutions open to varied ideas meant to induce debate which leads to their betterment and student growth. Tea Party meetings are not.

False equivalency. Universities are ‘supposed’ to be institutions open to varied ideas meant to induce debate which leads to their betterment and student growth. Tea Party meetings are not.

Universities are, but aren't most speakers invited by societies within the university?

they/them/theirs

"At the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, the Graduate and Professional Students of Color student organization responded to a bake sale held by the Students for Individual Liberty[8] by holding a White Privilege popcorn giveaway where white males received a full bag of popcorn, while women and non-whites received 1/3 of a bag."

All a bit silly, but one does have to ask what the threshold is: what if there was a movement on campus that wished to explore the superiority of the white race? Should the University include in the sciences the study of negro anatomy? Or perhaps a minor in history with a focus on holocaust denial?

"At the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, the Graduate and Professional Students of Color student organization responded to a bake sale held by the Students for Individual Liberty[8] by holding a White Privilege popcorn giveaway where white males received a full bag of popcorn, while women and non-whites received 1/3 of a bag."
    I'm curious... Was this event shut down by administrators, and disciplinary action taken against the students involved?

Evidently not, though its worth noting no money was transacted.
    Permabear wrote:
    The thing is, those arguments have long since been rebutted, and human physiology closely studied to the point where it can be said empirically that there is no biological inferiority happening there. Then, the reasons for the existence of such a movement would be ignorance, which flies in the face of the concept of free inquiry and higher learning. In such a case that argument is counter productive to higher learning, even harmful.

Deleted post

The law is full of them. Sorry not sorry.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/42/21/II/2000a

42 U.S.C. § 2000a : US Code - Section 2000A: Prohibition against discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/42/21/II/2000a#sthash.fBZ68sql.dpuf

(a) Equal access All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

(b) Establishments affecting interstate commerce or supported in their activities by State action as places of public accommodation; lodgings; facilities principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises; gasoline stations; places of exhibition or entertainment; other covered establishments Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this subchapter if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:
    (1) any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his residence;
    (2) any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment; or any gasoline station;
    (3) any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment; and
    (4) any establishment
    (A)(i) which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this subsection, or (ii) within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and
    (B) which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.

(c) Operations affecting commerce; criteria; "commerce" defined The operations of an establishment affect commerce within the meaning of this subchapter if
    (1) it is one of the establishments described in paragraph (1) of subsection (b) of this section;
    (2) in the case of an establishment described in paragraph (2) of subsection (b) of this section, it serves or offers to serve interstate travelers of a substantial portion of the food which it serves, or gasoline or other products which it sells, has moved in commerce;
    (3) in the case of an establishment described in paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of this section, it customarily presents films, performances, athletic teams, exhibitions, or other sources of entertainment which move in commerce; and
    (4) in the case of an establishment described in paragraph (4) of subsection (b) of this section, it is physically located within the premises of, or there is physically located within its premises, an establishment the operations of which affect commerce within the meaning of this subsection. For purposes of this section, "commerce" means travel, trade, traffic, commerce, transportation, or communication among the several States, or between the District of Columbia and any State, or between any foreign country or any territory or possession and any State or the District of Columbia, or between points in the same State but through any other State or the District of Columbia or a foreign country.

(d) Support by State action Discrimination or segregation by an establishment is supported by State action within the meaning of this subchapter if such discrimination or segregation
    (1) is carried on under color of any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation; or
    (2) is carried on under color of any custom or usage required or enforced by officials of the State or political subdivision thereof; or
    (3) is required by action of the State or political subdivision thereof. (e) Private establishments The provisions of this subchapter shall not apply to a private club or other establishment not in fact open to the public, except to the extent that the facilities of such establishment are made available to the customers or patrons of an establishment within the scope of subsection (b) of this section. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/42/21/II/2000a#sthash.fBZ68sql.dpuf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

If you really want to save the world (or think you are), concentrate on low-carbon replacement technologies because they simply do not exist today.

We already have low carbon alternatives to coal and other fossils fuels. We can measurably examine the carbon footprint of renewable energy, and in all cases - it is significantly lower than traditional fossil fuels.

Of course we should invest in research for bettering these technologies and more, but it's conservatives who are opposing funding and support for renewable energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

We already have low carbon alternatives to coal and other fossils fuels. We can measurably examine the carbon footprint of renewable energy, and in all cases - it is significantly lower than traditional fossil fuels.

Of course we should invest in research for bettering these technologies and more, but it's conservatives who are opposing funding and support for renewable energy.

The problem is that the price of fossil fuels doesn't reflect the cost of the carbon they emit. Now if only there were someway of rectifying that. Some form of tax that could be placed on fuels that emit carbon. We could call it a carbon tax. It could help tackle pollution and reduce the deficit. Fiscal conservatives care about the deficit don't they? They could surely get behind such a thing.

All those low carbon alternatives you speak of sound lovely and all, but what are their costs to the people and what is the amount of energy they currently produce?
    Conservatives believe 'consumer choice, not government mandate, should determine the mix of energy sources used in America. A market based system built on private sector research, development, and investment is the only way to establish strong, diverse, and economically rational alternative energy solutions.' Seems to me they are quite supportive of a level of renewable energy... that make sense. Keep the government out of it. If people demand more renewable energy than the free market will deliver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Back on topic please. This isn't the forum for discussing renewable energy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Amerika..

Amerika..

Thanks, but as I had updated, I was mistaken in the title of the required reading.

Well today I'm being brainwashed. Braiiiiiinwashed

Although I think that's just based on empirical evidence ;)

Well today I'm being brainwashed. Braiiiiiinwashed

Although I think that's just based on empirical evidence ;)

LOL. I actually can help you after you’ve been brainwashed. I became a deprogrammer for cults in the late 70’s after a friend of mine was brainwashed by the Hare Krishna. Only used some of the techniques learned, though. Never accepted the use of kidnapping someone and keeping them against their will. I found it interesting that Catholicism was also considered a cult when I took my training, especially in regards to priests and nuns.

• Advertisement

Not all is well in the Evangelical Liberty University, after very pro-Trump surrogate, President Jerry Falwell Jr., used his clout to have a Trump piece critical of his "locker room talk" censored from the school paper.

http://www.mediaite.com/election-2016/jerry-falwell-jr-demanded-liberty-university-student-paper-cut-anti-trump-article/

As many as 1,000 students have endorsed a criticism against his leadership.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/16/falwell-jr-deepens-rift-with-anti-trump-liberty-u-students.html

How far does his endorsement go? "Put Christian values on hold until after the election." In context of who he is and what he's presiding over, that's literally blasphemy.

http://therightscoop.com/put-christian-values-hold-election-jerry-falwell-jr/

Advertisement