Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge ESB bill due to plumbing fault

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

maximum12 wrote: »
    Yeah but life's too short to be taking electric showers. I want plenty of pressure and plenty of hot water. One of life's little pleasures.

Depends entirely on factors such as your per unit cost- however, typically, it can cost you up to 4 times as much........

I'm with Michael D on this one- gas combi boiler here too (with a pressure pump in the hotpress upstairs- and an optional override for electric heating- if there is an issue with gas- as unfortunately does happen (I'm in a development where my neighbours are upgrading old systems to new condensing boilers- the amount of emergency Bord Gais Network vans for gas leaks in here- just isn't funny anymore.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

All of which is irrelevant to the topic in question.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    All of which is irrelevant to the topic in question.

Not entirely- is it plausible that the OP's ex has a 1,500 electricity bill- having run the immersion heater, with a leak, over a protracted period of time. Yup- it most certainly is.........

The one question which they have neglected to answer thus far- is whether, or not, the previous bills were estimated- if they were- and they now have an actual reading- it would make a lot more sense.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I've already posted the likely cost of running an immersion 24/7 and its a lot less than 1500 Euros.
    The last person i would take advice from in this scenario is a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I've already posted the likely cost of running an immersion 24/7 and its a lot less than 1500 Euros.

That's over 2 months, potentially add in 4 previous months of estimated bills and 1500 is very plausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

If it were a cold water tank- or indeed, not a sealed unit- akin to those they commonly use in NZ/AU/USA- it would be of far more concern..........

Hot water tanks aren't sealed in the US etc?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It also might not be a 3kW but rather a 6kW immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It also might not be a 3kW but rather a 6kW immersion.

That's a big immersion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That's a big immersion!

Yeah it's unlikely but it would explain the bill if it was only 2 months. More likely there was an estimated bill last time then the real bill caught up for 4 months of the immersion at 3kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Or, if immersion is primary method of heating water, it's possible there's no gas boiler for space heating, and so there's some storage heaters etc. knowing about. They may be left on, either 24/7, or at night - accounting for the other couple of 100...

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Or, if immersion is primary method of heating water, it's possible there's no gas boiler for space heating, and so there's some storage heaters etc. knowing about. They may be left on, either 24/7, or at night - accounting for the other couple of 100...

Would someone be insane enough to have a system like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

id have to find out if previous were estimated....but she was talking to the electricity crowd, and i presume this is current correct reading?

would it matter anyway if this was an actual reading, and the previous one or ones were estimated? Id have thought not?

Well if the previous few months were estimates only, it means the issue could have been going on for longer than the 2 month billing period. Obviously an estimate doesnt take account of a faulty situation like you've describes, its typically based on previous bills at the property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Plenty of apartments have just immersions for hot water and storage heaters for space heating. Pretty standard, no? Although they would have night meters so I doubt the storage heaters being on 24 / 7 is the issue. Besides, it would be roasting with storage heaters on 24 / 7 over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Plenty of apartments have just immersions for hot water and storage heaters for space heating. Pretty standard, no? Although they would have night meters so I doubt the storage heaters being on 24 / 7 is the issue. Besides, it would be roasting with storage heaters on 24 / 7 over the summer.

I lived in such an apartment a few years ago. I had to switch off the isolator beside each storage heater in summer manually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Dardania wrote: »
    I lived in such an apartment a few years ago. I had to switch off the isolator beside each storage heater in summer manually

Still though, you'd know if they were on because your apartment would be roasting? I have them too and I've mine totally switched off for the past few months in the manner you've described, otherwise the place would be a sauna.

Also, anyone with Storage heaters tends to have a night rate with their electricity provider. This means in winter, the storage heaters come on (ie to charge them up) only when the night rate is active (midnight to 8am) and then they release their heat gradually over the day, but they're not drawing down additional electricity at the day rate.

Advertisement