Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.17 hornet

• 06-09-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

just curious did the .17 hornet calibre ever really take off here?

i know it is big in other countries but is anyone here using or seen one? what are they like? what is ammo price/supply like? etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Hi tommy boy, I have a 17 hornet. I find it flat shooting and very accurate. Where I get the ammo a few lads do be ordering it as well so there must be a few 17 hornets around. Hornady make a couple of different bullets for it. They can be dear enough so I look for sellier and bellot, €17 for 20. American eagle are making them as well now in boxes of 50 but I haven't seen any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

kelslat wrote: »
    Hi tommy boy, I have a 17 hornet. I find it flat shooting and very accurate. Where I get the ammo a few lads do be ordering it as well so there must be a few 17 hornets around. Hornady make a couple of different bullets for it. They can be dear enough so I look for sellier and bellot, €17 for 20. American eagle are making them as well now in boxes of 50 but I haven't seen any.

What make and model rifle do you have. Was it bought as a .17 hornet or was it a .22 hornet rebarrelled?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    What make and model rifle do you have. Was it bought as a .17 hornet or was it a .22 hornet rebarrelled?

It is a rebarreled cz 527. I have seen a new ruger .17 hornet for sale in a gun shop in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

It is a rebarreled cz 527. I have seen a new ruger .17 hornet for sale in a gun shop in Kilkenny.

How much did it Cost to rebarrell and who did the work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

Out of interest what shop was this in Kilkenny.

I might call in for a snoop.

• Advertisement

hrcbob wrote: »
    Out of interest what shop was this in Kilkenny.

I might call in for a snoop.

The gunstore.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    How much did it Cost to rebarrell and who did the work?

This is my one very accurate, was a 22 hornet, new 17 barrel put on it

This is my one very accurate, was a 22 hornet, new 17 barrel put on it

Mine is a cz too, barrel is second hand off a .17 Remington rebarreled. I cant complain it knocks everything I aim at with in two hundred yard. It might not have the stainless steel barrel or mod (even though it's threaded) but it fairly accurate. Maybe its the flat shooting round. If I could get up the photos on my phone it would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Kelslat.What is the. 17 Hornet like where there might be weeds or grass standing up in front of a target.

Kelslat.What is the. 17 Hornet like where there might be weeds or grass standing up in front of a target.
    I haven't noticed a blade or two of grass making any difference. Mostly I would have a clear line of sight. Maybe if you had some rushes in front of the target it might deflect the shot. I read before the 20g ammo would bust up easily enough if it hit grass or weeds but I find it good. I got two rabbits one evening with the one shot. It still exited the second rabbit too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Can't be too bad so.After having experience with the. 22 Hornet and. 17 hornet which do you think is the better.

Advertisement