Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all Union Officials honest...........

Options
  • 06-09-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Browsing through a <snip> Magazine recently I was horrified to come across a number of pictures that showed <snip> presentations <snip> and I had no problem whatsoever with this until I spotted one "gentleman" receive his medal.That same gentle person sat on an interview board recently (I also know he has "done the circuit" many times over the years) and was party to the selection of candidate(s) for positions in schools that should not have been made.There were appeals but they were overthrown,infact all appeals were not heard.This person is fed on Union fees and yet its questionable that he has the needs of the people he is supposed to be representing at heart.Its amazing what people will revert to in sleazy old Ireland for a penny or two.This <snip> medal should be taken from him or rammed up his <snip> and it be pointed out to him who he is representing.Can we not trust anyone nowadays? i will be writing to same person and telling him what I think of him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

ethical wrote: »
    Browsing through a <snip> Magazine recently I was horrified to come across a number of pictures that showed <snip> presentations <snip> and I had no problem whatsoever with this until I spotted one "gentleman" receive <snip> l.That same gentle person sat on an interview board recently (I also know he has "done the circuit" many times over the years) and was party to the selection of candidate(s) for positions in schools that should not have been made.There were appeals but they were overthrown,infact all appeals were not heard.This person is fed on Union fees and yet its questionable that he has the needs of the people he is supposed to be representing at heart.Its amazing what people will revert to in sleazy old Ireland for a penny or two.This Reps medal should be taken from him or rammed up his <snip> and it be pointed out to him who he is representing.Can we not trust anyone nowadays? i will be writing to same person and telling him what I think of him!

So one of your friends, or you, didn't get a job and its this guys fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I don't have much confidence in union officials but I don't see how you can hold one person on an interview board responsible for people not getting jobs (or, presumably, the implication is that he pushed for a specific candidate for whatever reason). The principal should be making the decision with regards who should get the job and if a union official can sway that, the issue is still with the member(s) of school management on the board more so than anyone else on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

RealJohn wrote: »
    I don't have much confidence in union officials but I don't see how you can hold one person on an interview board responsible for people not getting jobs (or, presumably, the implication is that he pushed for a specific candidate for whatever reason). The principal should be making the decision with regards who should get the job and if a union official can sway that, the issue is still with the member(s) of school management on the board more so than anyone else on it.

Each person on the panel has 1 vote. You don't know how he voted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

That's true, I don't. My understanding though is that ultimately, it's up to the principal to decide who gets hired or to have someone on his/her behalf to make that decision so it still falls on the principal at the end of the day, not on any one member of the interview panel.

And again, if it is a question of a vote, this person's vote is only one vote out of at least three (typically), maybe more. That still means he/she can hardly be blamed for who gets hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It's not the xfactor either. There's a marking scheme there, candidates marked after they interview, best person gets the job.

Sure if you're in the asti nobody will ho against you if its your turn for a post. In the absence of any clarity from the OP its just more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

It is total bullsh1t to suggest the best person gets the job,you must live in lalaland if you so think,there is an awful lot of corruption around........and you know what,people lining their own pockets or talking up their cronies has eroded the teaching profession beyond repair in thie country.Its time we woke up as a nation and did something about the horrible smell that emanates from what goes on in the recruitment and promotion of teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

ethical wrote: »
    ...did something about the horrible smell that emanates from what goes on in the recruitment and promotion of teachers

You're naive to think that this is a widespread problem in teaching and not other professions. This happens everywhere, but it's not as prevalent as you make it out to be. Yes, knowing someone can be a huge advantage - as it would be in any interview. But the notion that you can only get a position in teaching if you're related to a principal is ludicrous and reeks of bitterness.

In response to the original post, you hear a lot of stories about Union Officials. I don't think they're all out to line their own pockets; I've had many dealings with dedicated union officials who give up their own free time to help people in need. But I've also met officials who are helpful, but could be seen to be pushing an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

The branch officials I've known locally are honest. I've been on interview panels and been fair and honest . I've also been a branch officer. I don't believe there has to be a conflict. Over twenty years in my vec Etb ive seen the interview process become more structured, fairer and more accountable. I'm not sure how corrupt a local,official,could be. Not sure there s much scope for brown envelopes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Yes, I'd say the vast majority of them are. This thread is a generalised, unsubstantiated rant, peppered with what sounds like bitterness and personal prejudice.

The vast majority of union officials do it to help people and the profession. The 'reward' for local branch officers in the TUI used to be to get their union sub back, nowhere near enough for the work it can be.

People on interview panels are there to choose the best person for the job, they are not there to represent anyone, I think the title has been changed to 'nominee' in ETBs to reflect this fact. They are there to provide a certain expertise or perspective and they are there as part of a team, so to hold one person responsible for a perceived injustice is nonsensical.

Is the interview system perfect? No. Often positions are decided beforehand, but education does not have a monopoly on this and sometimes giving a job to someone who has been in situ and doing a good job is the right thing to do.

It's very hard to walk around a school bearing a chip that heavy on your shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Yes, I'd say the vast majority of them are. This thread is a generalised, unsubstantiated rant, peppered with what sounds like bitterness and personal prejudice.

The vast majority of union officials do it to help people and the profession. The 'reward' for local branch officers in the TUI is to get their union sub back, nowhere near enough for the work it can be.

People on interview panels are there to choose the best person for the job, they are not there to represent anyone, I think the title has been changed to 'nominee' in ETBs to reflect this fact. They are there to provide a certain expertise or perspective and they are there as part of a team, so to hold one person responsible for a perceived injustice is nonsensical.

Is the interview system perfect? No. Often positions are decided beforehand, but education does not have a monopoly on this and sometimes giving a job to someone who has been in situ and doing a good job is the right thing to do.

It's very hard to walk around a school bearing a chip that heavy on your shoulders.

No one in my branch has their sub paid. Its all pro bono.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No one in my branch has their sub paid. Its all pro bono.

Apologies, it probably has changed since I served as a branch official (10+ years ago). You paid your sub and you got it back as an honorarium. The work is time-consuming and often thankless and I've lost track of the amount of people who suspect your motives for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Apologies, it probably has changed since I served as a branch official (10+ years ago). You paid your sub and you got it back as an honorarium. The work is time-consuming and often thankless and I've lost track of the amount of people who suspect your motives for doing it.

It gets paid as an honorarium alright in large branches.

Advertisement