Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 203: Miocic v Overeem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Overeem via Submission
    Gunna go out on a limb here and pick Punk to pull it off over gall, I know its his first fight and all but when you think about it he's been training more or less every day for the best part of two years with one of the best coaching teams in the game, also what have we really seen of gall, his two pro wins are against a nobody whos only fight is a loss against gall, and a journalist who trains a bit of stand up. say what you like about punk being green but gall isnt far off! think the advantage punk has in terms of resources will definitely show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Depp wrote: »
    Gunna go out on a limb here and pick Punk to pull it off over gall, I know its his first fight and all but when you think about it he's been training more or less every day for the best part of two years with one of the best coaching teams in the game, also what have we really seen of gall, his two pro wins are against a nobody whos only fight is a loss against gall, and a journalist who trains a bit of stand up. say what you like about punk being green but gall isnt far off! think the advantage punk has in terms of resources will definitely show

Fair points but don't forget gall probably has a lot of amateur experience as well besides the fights on his pro record.

Overeem via Submission
    John_D80 wrote: »
    Fair points but don't forget gall probably has a lot of amateur experience as well besides the fights on his pro record.

as far as i can find online he had two against guys with very spotty records. just the more I think about it two years full time on the pro team at roufussport is no joke. think the fight is going to be a lot more even than some would lead you to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Both Gall and Punk are absolutely ****e.

EDIT - with Gall being far less ****e than Punk.

Overeem via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    Both Gall and Punk are absolutely ****e.

inclined to agree there! definitely not a ufc standard fight, I'd call it battlezone level or something but I think that could be an insult to battlezone :D

• Advertisement

Miocic via Submission
    I'm going with Miocic to finish the Reem,
    Verdum to decision Browne
    and Gall to submit Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Overeem via Submission
    I strongly fancy Overeem winning here. Prob will do a bet of some sort too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

as far as i can find online he had two against guys with very spotty records. just the more I think about it two years full time on the pro team at roufussport is no joke. think the fight is going to be a lot more even than some would lead you to believe

Yeah, now that you say it, so far as I can see on Sherdog they have down as having two ammy fights. Checked it just now.

Sherdog can be ropy enough though when it comes to amateur records. I know a guy with 5 amateur fights and only his 3 pro fights are on Sherdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He had amateur fights a few years ago, so he's training at least 5 years I'd guess. A pretty typical entry level pro I'd say.

Roufussports is definitely a higher standard that he has had. But also has a reputation for beating the crap out of beginners.
    I don't think Punk has been there 2 years. Prob 18 months or so, and he was injured for a while of that (apparently I suppose).

I haven't watched all of the evolution Series, but what I seen, Punks striking was awful. Like a toddler trying to throw a shotput.

The biggest obstacle for me, in getting behind a Punk win, is the fact that his only head start coming in was jiu jitsu, which is Galls basea also afaik. Punk likes to play up the whitebelt aspect, but he's not. He knew what he was doing, a few years back on Gracie breakdown. He's has to be a solid blue belt or purple belt now.
    Gall is a solid brown belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Overeem via Submission
    Can't wait for the Reem fight, going for Reem TKO. Anyone not seen his docu's go to the reems vimeo channel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You know Overeem is gonna win as the English have already claimed him :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Miocic via Submission
    Where's the love for Overeem coming from? I don't get it.. the guy has one of the most suspect chins in HW history imo.

Can't see this going in his favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Where's the love for Overeem coming from? I don't get it.. the guy has one of the most suspect chins in HW history imo.

Can't see this going in his favour.

A lot of the love seems to come from his new attitude to fighting. It's Conor McGregor style v Nate Diaz. Angled, explosive attacks, get out, reset, engage, circle, reset. More use of feints and diversions than previously, more fighting on the outside.

Fighting smart.

If he tries going toe-to-toe with Stipe then he ends up asleep on the floor.

But if he fights the way he has been recently then it's very easy to make a case for him taking 3 of the opening 4 rounds and clinging on for a decision.

The fight has a lot of similarity to the build up to UFC 202 Main Event. Nate was off doing lots of media, talk shows, hanging out with celebs etc, Conor was skulking away in Iceland, Dublin and Vegas training like a demon.

Stipe has been everywhere, plastered over the media in Ohio, on tv shows, hanging out with famous stars, partying, he had his wedding recently too. The Reem has been just glued to the gym, quietly getting ready.

A lot favours Alistair currently but i think anybody making confident predictions in the HW division needs their head assessed! Each and every one of the top 10 has one-hitter-quitter power in their hands - purely based on physics. Catch their opponent with one solid, well-timed punch, knee or elbow and the force of that muscle mass = sleep time.

It's a flip of a coin but Stipe seems the type of guy to take inspiration from fighting in his home town, rather than view it as pressure. And Alistair has the type of personality that it'll motivate him fighting behind enemy lines.

So it has the potential to be a 5 round classic. If it goes the full 5, fully expect the Reem's hand to be raised.

Overeem via Submission
    Always support the Euro fighters, he can promote himself well, talks well and finally putting together a good win streak. Absolutely loved the kick to Brock to end that fight, yeah it was an injured Brock but it was some kick.

This fight will be tough stamina will be a factor is he doesn't get Stiope of the there by round 3 he might struggle late on. Both of them don't really do decision wins so I expect it to finish before 5 rounds. I'm excited for it anyway and will be supporting the reem.

Must watch some more Stiope before weekend to see how he does with kicks, not that that division is best for them. 5 inch reach for legs could prove dificult to deal with taking shots before getting to boxing range.

I am not a WWE fan but I can't wait to see CM Punk fight this weekend, its just the pure curiousity factor of it all. Its a freak fight but I really cant wait to see what happens. There is also Faber, JoJo Calderwood, Ian Mccall, some really good fights on this card, cant freaking wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'd love to see the reem pull this off and add the UFC belt to the list...

Seriously look at this list like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Overeem

As for punk....i dunno i dont really care to be honest.

#WARUNCLECREEPY

Overeem via Submission
    Ray Borg out of his bout due to sickness.

Uncle Creepy goes without a fight twice in a row now! Pity for him.

Miocic via Submission
    A lot of the love seems to come from his new attitude to fighting. It's Conor McGregor style v Nate Diaz. Angled, explosive attacks, get out, reset, engage, circle, reset. More use of feints and diversions than previously, more fighting on the outside.

Fighting smart.

If he tries going toe-to-toe with Stipe then he ends up asleep on the floor.

But if he fights the way he has been recently then it's very easy to make a case for him taking 3 of the opening 4 rounds and clinging on for a decision.

The fight has a lot of similarity to the build up to UFC 202 Main Event. Nate was off doing lots of media, talk shows, hanging out with celebs etc, Conor was skulking away in Iceland, Dublin and Vegas training like a demon.

Stipe has been everywhere, plastered over the media in Ohio, on tv shows, hanging out with famous stars, partying, he had his wedding recently too. The Reem has been just glued to the gym, quietly getting ready.

A lot favours Alistair currently but i think anybody making confident predictions in the HW division needs their head assessed! Each and every one of the top 10 has one-hitter-quitter power in their hands - purely based on physics. Catch their opponent with one solid, well-timed punch, knee or elbow and the force of that muscle mass = sleep time.

It's a flip of a coin but Stipe seems the type of guy to take inspiration from fighting in his home town, rather than view it as pressure. And Alistair has the type of personality that it'll motivate him fighting behind enemy lines.

So it has the potential to be a 5 round classic. If it goes the full 5, fully expect the Reem's hand to be raised.

I'm surprised by that, I'd be the opposite and wreckon that later rounds and going the distance would favor Stipe. I think Reem needs to finish to take the belt.

Overeem via Submission
    Yeah and I expected neither of them to go full 5 rounds. Neither go distance too often.

Overeem via Submission
    Punk has never done a cut, he doesn't have anyone to help him, he better not have to lose too much or he will be giving up some of his purse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ray Borg out of the McCall fight due to illness, Ian just cant catch a break :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That's a kick for Ian McCall, the man struggles with his own body staying healthy and to get two fights pulled at the last minute is sick.
    He got his show and win money the last time so hopefully he gets it again.

He posted on Instagram, how about I come back to Ireland and put on a show with Neil Seery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Punk has never done a cut, he doesn't have anyone to help him, he better not have to lose too much or he will be giving up some of his purse.

He didn't look too comfortable talking about it in his sit down interview with Ariel at all. I reckon the cut is kicking the shît out of him. Was very surprised to hear he hadn't done a practice cut at all. Said the last time he weighed 171 was in high school.

I'm gonna say he comes in overweight for this.

Fromvert wrote: »
    That's a kick for Ian McCall, the man struggles with his own body staying healthy and to get two fights pulled at the last minute is sick.

He posted on Instagram, how about I come back to Ireland and put on a show with Neil Seery.

The mans a gent, i met him in dublin nothing but good things to say. Id love him to fight Seery on the Belfast card!! He got the win and show again id say as he said hes getting paid to have abs so hes not to dissapointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

**** it, I've gone full circle and I hope Punk wins. :pac:

I've really come around to him from the documentary and his recent interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Paully D wrote: »
    **** it, I've gone full circle and I hope Punk wins. :pac:

I've really come around to him from the documentary and his recent interviews.

He came off really well in the last embedded, you can tell how natural he in front of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Punk has everything against him, his best skill being BJJ and his opponent has better, he's never fought, never performed after a weight cut and he's old. So naturally I'm hoping he wins :pac:

If he doesn't curl up after he gets hit the first or first few times I might give him a shot at winning. The longer it goes the better for him and I think the crowd might support him more if he makes past round 1.

Stipe to KO Reem in 2 Rounds.
    Werdum to sub Browne.
    Faber to continue being a gatekeeper.

I honestly think that the UFC are trying to make Punk look worse than he actually is, I can see him surprising people on Saturday night. Gall is probably not the best either and is nowhere near UFC standard and Punk has been triaining with some of the best in the world now for 2 years like Petitis/Woodley etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I just like Punk's personality he's kind of.... endearing. It's a good story though, old wrestler past his prime searching for glory.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Fromvert wrote: »

He posts on sherdog and reddit a bit. He was seriously considering calling it a day earlier this year. When i heard the news earlier i feared the worst...but he seems to be quite positive with it.

I would be delighted to see him and seery in belfast.

Borg threw up a pic of him in ER earlier..it seems to be a legit pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think Overeem will probably win. This is going to be stand-up fight and I think he has more tools to get the job done.

Can't really stand him tbh, he comes across as really arrogant and not the charming kind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Overeem via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I think Overeem will probably win. This is going to be stand-up fight and I think he has more tools to get the job done.

Can't really stand him tbh, he comes across as really arrogant and not the charming kind.
    Have you ever seen his documentary series? Its on youtube.

He comes across well on that IMO

I think hes just very confident right now, which is what you need going into a title fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Punk comes across really well in the Embedded. Just fairly sound, quiet bloke, taking a chance and putting himself out there.

Overeem via Submission

highlight of the video by far :D

He doesn't have help? He is surrounded by pro fighters who have done many cuts. They'll be telling him what to do.
    Cutting isn't rocket science, it's pretty straightforward, the difficulty comes from being strict and pushing yourself. Nothing will change that. I don't think he'll me making a huge cut to 170.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I honestly think that the UFC are trying to make Punk look worse than he actually is, I can see him surprising people on Saturday night. Gall is probably not the best either and is nowhere near UFC standard and Punk has been triaining with some of the best in the world now for 2 years like Petitis/Woodley etc.

Unless Punk is in on it as well, I'm not sure about this.

Maybe he was honey dicking us :D, but his jiu jitsu didn't look up to much at the open workout, and his striking hasn't evolved the way I kind of expected across the docu series

Overeem via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    He doesn't have help? He is surrounded by pro fighters who have done many cuts. They'll be telling him what to do.
    Cutting isn't rocket science, it's pretty straightforward, the difficulty comes from being strict and pushing yourself. Nothing will change that. I don't think he'll me making a huge cut to 170.

His words, and by help Ariel meant a Dolce etc, its easy until it isn't...

Overeem via Submission
    Gall has some judo to his game, should be interesting, Travis in pool and Edmond taking crap, poor ****er won't get much help from him between rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I thought we'd get some glimpses of Ronda in the background with Travis, still keeping a very low profile perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Miocic via Submission
    I've always liked Miocic and was delighted to see him take the title so I hope he knocks Overoids out!

The CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall fight will be intriguing to say the least. I wanna see CM Punk do well tbh, hope he doesn't get embarrassed.

• Advertisement

His words, and by help Ariel meant a Dolce etc, its easy until it isn't...
    If he was cutting massive amounts I'd agree. But my impression was that it was quite small. He's leaned out from training, his actual looks to be about 10lbs.
    Maybe I'm wrong though

Overeem via Submission
    According to Dave Meltzer, CM Punk was wrestling as about 210 lbs so it's not a small cut in the slightest.

Overeem via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    If he was cutting massive amounts I'd agree. But my impression was that it was quite small. He's leaned out from training, his actual looks to be about 10lbs.
    Maybe I'm wrong though

I would agree it doesn't look too much however I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles and misses by a couple, through lack of experience.

Think Faber was telling him to have someone manage his intake in embedded and he said his wife was doing it. He is also not saying how much he weighs so its a total unknown for now. Roll on tonights weigh in.

Miocic via Submission
    Looking at Punk at that press conference reminded me of this dude:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's something really off about CM Punk's personality. It feels unauthentic. I'd say he's a bit of a jerk when the cameras aren't around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was a wrestling fan for years, he's generally pretty unbearable. He seems much more humble and likable from what I have seen of his UFC appearances

Overeem via Submission
    Yurt! wrote: »
    There's something really off about CM Punk's personality. It feels unauthentic. I'd say he's a bit of a jerk when the cameras aren't around.

Ya he's a complete pr1ck off camera from the majority of people who've met him in person anyway.

Overeem via Submission
    D.Q wrote: »
    Was a wrestling fan for years, he's generally pretty unbearable. He seems much more humble and likable from what I have seen of his UFC appearances

Ya it's different though. He has no right to show any arrogance etc. coming into this fight for obvious reasons really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya it's different though. He has no right to show any arrogance etc. coming into this fight for obvious reasons really.

Yeah true. For what its worth I didnt mean his "persona" on WWE tv was unlikable or arrogant. I meant he just came across as a dick in any sort of interviews/documentarys.

A bit of his "I've always been an outcast" teen angst shtick bled into the Evolution of Punk documentary.

Punk hits the scales 170 on the button, looks pretty good also.

[url]

• Advertisement
Advertisement