Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 203: Miocic v Overeem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Overeem via Submission
    Thought it was odd when getting off the scales Gall went over to CM Punk and apparently asked him did he make weight Gall's reaction...he looked sickened, he should be thinking of earning a bonus in the fight than picking his opponents pocket for missing weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Overeem via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    If he was cutting massive amounts I'd agree. But my impression was that it was quite small. He's leaned out from training, his actual looks to be about 10lbs.
    Maybe I'm wrong though

I think it was mentioned on MMA Hour- 12lbs so your not far off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Overeem via Submission
    Thought it was odd when getting off the scales Gall went over to CM Punk and apparently asked him did he make weight Gall's reaction...he looked sickened, he should be thinking of earning a bonus in the fight than picking his opponents pocket for missing weight

I'd be interested to know how much gall cut, didnt look sucked atal to be fair to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

What time are the weigh ins at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What time are the weigh ins at?

11pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

For some reason I think Punk is having us on. I don't think he'll win but I think he'll go all 3 rounds

Miocic, Browne, Rivera are my other picks to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Punk refusing the handshake from Gall, I love it. :pac:

Eye/Bethe got physical too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Waht was overeem fined for? Hardly missed weight did he?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Waht was overeem fined for? Hardly missed weight did he?

Showed up late for weigh in

• Advertisement

Overeem via Submission
    Showed up late for weigh in

I thought if you didnt get there fight was off? Tate nearly mised her fight apparently as she juat about made in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I thought if you didnt get there fight was off? Tate nearly mised her fight apparently as she juat about made in time

She was making a weight cut though, you get why there's a time limit for her

Overeem came in under 250 so it's obvious he didn't have a weight cut, it really didn't matter when he weighed in, any fine he gets should be given to charity since it makes little sense to fine him even if it is by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Overeem was under when they weighed him this week already, there was no strict deadline on him to make weight again today.

I think the fine is fair enough though, if the people cutting weight have to show up on time, people without a cut should too.

Overeem via Submission
    She was making a weight cut though, you get why there's a time limit for her

Overeem came in under 250 so it's obvious he didn't have a weight cut, it really didn't matter when he weighed in, any fine he gets should be given to charity since it makes little sense to fine him even if it is by the rules

Yeah but they have a window to weight in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Overeem via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Overeem was under when they weighed him this week already, there was no strict deadline on him to make weight again today.

I think the fine is fair enough though, if the people cutting weight have to show up on time, people without a cut should too.

who was it overeem weighed in against with full on jeans and combat boots on? as far as I can remember that was during the ubereem era aswel, sick that some guys actually have to cut to 265!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Miocic via Submission
    I've gone from wanting CM Punk to be KOed in 10 seconds too kinda hoping he wins. I do think his experience of big WWE matches will help him. That being said, you'd expect Gall to finish it if he can get it too the matt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Overeem via Submission
    Anything better than a stuffed takedown/sub-escape or winning a striking exchange would be a bonus for Punk. Making the second round should be considered exceptional.

In fairness it probably has become a case of people over-estimating Gall and under-estimating Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Miocic via Submission
    Would love to see Overeem win here just for the nostalgia factor. Picking Miocic though because of durability.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I do think his experience of big WWE matches will help him.

A friend of mine made the same point to me a few weeks ago but I just dont see it. In the WWE he was an actor, a performer playing to a script.

I wouldn't see his previous work experience being of any more benefit than it would be for someone like a musician or a stand-up comedian or anyone that performs live to a script.

IMO if he wins or loses it will not be because of anything he has done before.

John_D80 wrote: »
    A friend of mine made the same point to me a few weeks ago but I just dont see it. In the WWE he was an actor, a performer playing to a script.

I wouldn't see his previous work experience being of any more benefit than it would be for someone like a musician or a stand-up comedian or anyone that performs live to a script.

IMO if he wins or loses it will not be because of anything he has done before.

The whole media/lights/etc is similar to wwe even in UFC a lot of fighters play a part like WWE to try sell fights. Only difference is in UFC when they get in the Cage they actually fight rather than pretend fight. I do think his career in WWE will have him used to the spotlight, now I can't wait to see how good he has actually got at MMA with 2 years of training.

The whole media/lights/etc is similar to wwe even in UFC a lot of fighters play a part like WWE to try sell fights. Only difference is in UFC when they get in the Cage they actually fight rather than pretend fight. I do think his career in WWE will have him used to the spotlight, now.

Yup just like any high profile musician, actor or live performer out there. They all have media, lights, showmanship and all the rest.

When he was in the WWE it was a universe away from what he is going to be doing tonight.

The two can't even be compared. His past experience won't help him here in the slightest in any regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

The fight will absolutely be different. But the screaming fans, bright lights and cameras in his face will be familiar to him, therefore less of a distraction.

Gall will have the same fight night jitters Punk has, but will also have to deal with the above factors.

Does that mean Punk wins, no. Does it help a little, of course. You only have to look at how he handled the staredown after the 'weigh in'. He was used to that situation, it didn't rattle him

Here what time is the first fight starting? Is it starting later cause of the pull outs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It starts at 1am

Axwell wrote: »
    It starts at 1am

:( Main event starting at 3 then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

One early prelim starting right now by my calcs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tinpib wrote: »
    One early prelim starting right now by my calcs.

Yeah fight pass prelim is starting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Yancy deserves to get KO'D coming out to that "Brostep" sh1t!

Yup but that's a regular occurrence.

Lovely Sub by Yancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Nice finish didn't panic at all and just a perfect sub good fight to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Rogan ****ting all over Punk, saying a guy his age starting MMA is a terrible idea

Overeem via Submission
    ShaneU wrote: »
    Rogan ****ting all over Punk, saying a guy his age starting MMA is a terrible idea

Logic says hes correct. Most have a base sport boxing muay thai bjj karate wrestling. Cm punk has wwe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ruthless combo.... Yowza.

What a KO, did the Gonzalez rush back too quick after the groin shot I wonder?

Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

When will the punk fight be on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    When will the punk fight be on?

Third last fight tonight. Tune in from 4am ish just to help sure of seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Pretty decent fights so far :)

I've either been out of the loop or completely fúcking oblivious but, Urijah Faber is on this card???

:pac:

• Advertisement

This kinda looks like a fight from UFC 1 :pac:

Why is lentz not using gnp should have knocked him out in first, seems determined to get a sub.

Bout time

Lentz was unrelenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gonzalez should have taken the full 5 minutes. He rushed it and paid price.

Weird Joe Rogan absolutely ripping CM Punk. He works for the UFC he should surely be hyping it up a little more.

Then again, i think Rogan knows he's getting out of dodge soon. He signed a 1 year extension but you can tell he doesn't give a f*ck anymore!

Why is brown not on this card does anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've either been out of the loop or completely fúcking oblivious but, Urijah Faber is on this card???

:pac:

They kept it quiet enough in fairness I didn't know until embedded was up.

DAN HARDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Weird Joe Rogan absolutely ripping CM Punk. He works for the UFC he should surely be hyping it up a little more.

What was he saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Third last fight tonight. Tune in from 4am ish just to help sure of seeing it.

Thanks man I was about to ask the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

What was he saying?

Something along the lines of he's out of his depth and is crazy/doesn't deserve to be here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement