Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting JC Music in 3rd Year?

Options
  • 06-09-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So I am wondering,if I was to take up music outside of school for third year would I have enough knowledge to get a half decent grade in Higher Level music. I did it in First Year but to be honest we didn't do much... Ultimately I want to be able to do it for the Leaving Cert.

Take into account I am doing Grade 5 Theory, Grade 5 Euphonium and regularly perform with a concert band.

Is it worth my time/is it possible?

Cheers,
    Niall

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes. If you are playing at Grade 5 you won't have an issue with JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi,

Just bear in mind that your practical constitutes 25% (100 marks) of the entire exam. Written =75% (300 marks)
    It is great that you have some theory done, a great help, but presentation of questions is different.
    With the right tutor/teacher, they should be able to complete the picture. You will be studying SET C songs and works if sitting JC in 2017. I advise Sounds Good, it is an excellent text.
    Structure of the paper:

Q1: 8 Set Songs. All in your set C 30 marks
    Q2: 3 Set Works All in set C 30 marks (expect to analyse all songs and works, background, structure, rhythmic and melodic feature of main themes, identification both visual and aural, identifying changes between sections, speed, dynamics and instruments. woodwind always catches out students for some reason.
    Q3: Irish music: Dances, Songs, instruments, fusions of styles, harpers, collectors. 40 marks
    Q4: Dictation: to write out on the stave (or stick notation) 4 bars of a simple melody played 5 times. 40 marks
    Q5: Chosen songs and works: All in the Core Sounds good. 14 categories of songs/works. Only one category examined each year. Then some questions on general listening associated with this category. (40 marks)
    Q6 Triads: Already done in your Gr theory exam. (20 marks)
    Q7: Write a four-bar melody. 3 choices: B is the best option here. (35 marks)
    Q8: Chord question: Will be easy if you have Gr 5 theory. (45!marks)
    Q.9 NO ONE EVER DOES! as you will be doing 6, 7 and 8 instead. There is officially a choice, Q 9 is for original composition, but nobody does this! Should be and probably will be removed in new Junior Cycle Program. Q9 is worth the same cumulative marks as 6, 7 and 8
    Q 10. General Study. This takes same format every year. Topic of your choice, usually Jazz, or music in advertising, Renaissance music, etc. I do one on Contemporary Choral Music. Name General Study. Name two examples with composers. List and describe these features in relation to the music you have chosen. (20 marks)

That's it in a nutshell. I think you could do it, there is a lot of work in it, but with your background, I would go for it, once an extra subject won't put you under any additional pressure. I suggest having a look at past papers. See what you think.
    Best of luck! Do let us know what you do, and how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

My brother did it and passed. I say you'll be grand :)

@ Hana98,
    Reckon that Niall is looking for a little more than a pass, and rightly so, given his credits to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nee_Loo

Thank you all for answering me, especially PictureHangUp for the in-depth walk-through of the exam as I had no idea how the questions were put.
    Since then I have had a look at a few of the past exam papers and have decided to give it a shot. I just have to find a music teacher now but I will be sure to update this post to see how I actually get on.

Thanks,
    Niall
    @ Hana98,
    Reckon that Niall is looking for a little more than a pass, and rightly so, given his credits to date!

And yes, anything above 70 will be great since I skipped a year :D

• Advertisement

Niall,

You will do even better than 70%!
    If you send me pm, I will be able to point you in the right direction re. music teacher.

Picturehangup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Definitely possible! I took up music in December of 3rd year and got an A. I went to a music class twice a week and did a lot of work on my own.

Yes, if doing it outside of school time, there will be a lot of personal work involved.
    However, if you meet the short-term targets set by your tutor, should be very possible.
    Well done, alroley! Hope you enjoyed the course also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Well done, alroley! Hope you enjoyed the course also?

Adored it! It was way back in 2007 though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Nee_Loo

Hi,

Best of luck! Do let us know what you do, and how you get on.

I remembered you asking this so here it is;

I did one class a week from mid October on, and despite the fact I know I could have been more prepared, I got away with it and got my A. Practical also went very well and boosted confidence before going in (having not done a Pre in music as I wasn't ready.)

Overall I'm very happy with my result and am glad in the end that I did it, thanks to ye of course.

• Advertisement

Delighted for you, Niall. Amazing what can be achieved when one puts one's mind to something.
    Hope you are going to consider music for LC next! I'm sure you could do it again.
    Well done!

Advertisement