Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-ing to improve...

Options
  • 06-09-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Right. May make this official.

I am a baby in terms of triathlons. I completed the tri-Athy (250 swim, 20 bike, 4 run) this year and I loved it.

I have set myself a goal of the Olympic distance next year. I'm confident. So much so that I have already registered for it :pac:

Going to use this to keep track of trainings - distances, times, climbs.

My basic aims for the next ~6 weeks:
    - get back in the pool (could easily knock out 2k three times a week last year but needed shoulder surgery)
    - build up my run distance (the most I have ever ran is 5k. I haven't ran since June. Starting slow & building to 10k over winter!)

Not concerned about bike. Commute on my bike. 7km each way. ~80 metres climbing on the way home. Regular longer distances on the weekends. PB over 20k is 27.2kph. Best solo spin: 70km @25.2kph with ~400 vertical, no break.

Deets:
    - bike is a Scott contessa. Heavy but emotionally attached to her. Going to invest in a new bike (road, carbon, not TT) whenever I can finally decide on one. Use look cleats. Not confident running alongside bike whilst wearing cleats.
    - current weight is high! Aiming to drop ~15kg before the start line but working with about ~95kg at the moment
    - splits for the tri (guesstimate as can't find page!): 5min swim, 42min bike, 35min run. Slow transitions.
    - garmin 200 to track bike distance. Considering the Fenix as a treat but that's a while off.

Initial goals:
    - swim: sub 50 (conservative)
    - bike: sub 1h 30 (achieveable with training)
    - run: complete it!!! Ah no. Sub 1h 20.

Using as a log. Any comments / constructive criticism welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

First run since June tonight.

Easy 2km. Felt good. Forgot about jelly legs though. The bike tomorrow will be fun.

Commuted on the bike too. Nothing too strenuous - too hot!

Bike this morning was slow. Traffic. Slightly different route so had 11m gain rather than all downhill. Nothing strenuous.

Went for a spin after work with a friend. Did 40km with an average of 19.5 and 300m gained. Slow. Very slow. However lots of that was in traffic, some of that was up Howth (Sutton side) and the last 5k was a drag.

A few PBs and 9th on a segment where I was facing a headwind.

Biggest achievement of the ride though: went up howth (all the way to the summit) without a) putting a foot down, and b) without leaving the big ring.

Foam rolled the quads tonight. Core feels strong. Attempted a plank and lasted 15 seconds before I started to feel it. That's amazing for me.

Groins tight. Will stretch tomorrow and maybe try get to the pool - even for a short swim.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

welcome to teh forum, always good to see new entrants to the sport, especially if they are committed to it.

can i ask, are you following a plan or just taking an adhoc approach to training? Do you even have a rough schedule in your head of what you'll do for the coming week?

mossym wrote: »
    welcome to teh forum, always good to see new entrants to the sport, especially if they are committed to it.

can i ask, are you following a plan or just taking an adhoc approach to training? Do you even have a rough schedule in your head of what you'll do for the coming week?

Currently ad-hoc as I have some longer distance cycles coming up so need to keep the distance in my legs.

My plan is to build up my running over the coming weeks. I'm aiming for 2 runs a week for the next 4-6 weeks, increasing distance slowly but surely.

I'm aiming to be able to run 10k by next March.

I hope to/plan to swim on the days that I don't run. Well two of them. Again, starting slowly and building up.

A friend in work previously competed in triathlons and has offered to help me come up with a proper schedule, but I'd just like to build up some basic ability in the different disciplines before I focus on the specifics.

I didn't forget about this.

I did the Great Dublin Bike Ride and had a bad day in the saddle. I struggled to maintain 20.5 kph. I'm not blowing my own trumpet but usually 100km wouldn't take it out of me but by 70km I was spent.

So I took a few days rest.

Got back on the bike and just did a few gentle spins.

This week I started back spinning. I did the 1hr class and didn't die. Will likely start his HIIT spinning next week.

I also ran 3km yesterday morning straight after a 7km cycle. Okay neither are world beating distances, but it was okay.

Today is just gentle cycle (would have taken the bus but the strikes are on) because tomorrow I have a 60km spin. Planning a swim on Sunday.

I think if I'm more organised about my training plan and figure something that works, I'll be sorted. I'm likely going to try to commute on the bike over winter, and I'll get a few longer spins in on the weekends weather permitting. I'll continue spinning at least one evening (& perhaps Saturday morning if the weather is bad). Running before work seems to be okay so if I can arrive in work a bit earlier than I need to I can get a few km in. I can get my swims in on the evenings too.

I dropped a kilo this week too. I know it's water, but it's the right direction. Have my food back on track too in terms of eating the right things at the right times.

And I'm buying a new bike. I just need to decide on the frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement