Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know these guys?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I'm not looking to ID the club or the people here but if anyone happens to know who these lads are they might want to have a quiet word?

This seems to border on the monumentally stupid. It's the M11 not my footage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Very stupid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Numpties, virtually impossible for a driver to react to their hand signals at motorway speed. There is a reason bikes are not allowed on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Utterly moronic. This is the kind of idiotic carry on that gives us all a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Not the only time something like that has occurred.

Once while joining the M11 northbound at Fassaroe (the slip road there has hedging on the right all the way down to the merge) did I get to the bottom of the slip, doing about 100 km/h, just in time to have a cyclist appear from the motorway side of the hedge.

It scared the sh!te out of me how close I came to killing him, and it is the only time I have ever yelled abuse at a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Sorry OP I can't make out a club name or logo.
    Very stupid thing to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OT, but i opened that in youtube, and this was the next video queued:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFps_kEmGH4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was going to yell WHATABOUTERY! but holy ****, that's a lot of crazy idiocy in less then two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Impressive how quickly plumbers want to get to a job these days. The boom is back baby

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    I was going to yell WHATABOUTERY! but holy ****, that's a lot of crazy idiocy in less then two minutes.
    indeed, it just needs the benny hill music played over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is that section not the N11 and the hard shoulder is closed so they are being forced onto the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I could be wrong here but that looks like the Fassaroe exit which would mean that's not the motorway. If it is that exit the motorway ends at the off ramp seen at the start. So it's entirely possible that they came on to the N11 at that exit unaware that there was roadworks ahead. What do they do then, turn back and go against the traffic? It's happened to me before where I have come across roadworks on that road and the only option is to get around it. Obviously you have to be careful but it happens. That's my opinion on what happened there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that section not the N11 and the hard shoulder is closed so they are being forced onto the road

No, I don't think so, blue signs on that bit mean it's motorway. N11 kicks in further down the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ted1 wrote: »

Nope still just about M11 up to the next junction if you look at the video, or here on google maps. No more motorway exits from here on to be fair, and you see plenty of groups on the N11, but the N11 is not a road I'd cycle by choice.

the sign they're passing at 27s in clearly states M11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's the M11 southbound alright.

Found the ride on Strava. It's four guys doing a charity cycle from the North all the way to Rome. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I would guess that they just took a wrong turn and didn't mean to go straight on at Loughlinstown roundabout to the motorway - or were blindly following a pre determined GPS route on their Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Plastik wrote: »
    It's the M11 southbound alright.

Found the ride on Strava. It's four guys doing a charity cycle from the North all the way to Rome....

Super Sleuth! Top work there finding that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Idiotic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

They are unlikely to make it Rome as a group of four if they continue to cycle on Motorways / Autoroute and Auto Strada!

are these guys actually aware they were on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I would have hoped so. It is well signed at both Loughlinstown and Bray North, regardless of which junction they entered on.

I would have hoped so. It is well signed at both Loughlinstown and Bray North, regardless of which junction they entered on.

im just wondering, have they been made aware? as others have said, if they continue to ride like this, they may not make it to rome

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There's multiple signs indicating on approach roads that they are entering a motorway, these are standard signs for all Republic Of Ireland, how they could not know this is frightening, are they really that thick or was it selective vision they had to ignore the signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have a "slight" bit of sympathy now that I know they weren't local.

I have cycled extensively in Spain and Portugal and there are plenty of roads of motorway standard (that are not motorways) where you can cycle and roads of a lower standard (that are motorways) where you cant cycle.

However at every "real" motorway entrance you have a sign like the one below which takes a lot of courage or stupidity to pass.

I haven't seen them too often on Irish roads..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's Darwin Award levels of stupidity for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    However at every "real" motorway entrance you have a sign like the one below which takes a lot of courage or stupidity to pass.
    Dismounted cyclists being chased by their rogue bikes? Farmers hunting down jockeys? It's ARMAGEDDON!

• Advertisement

are the guys actually from the north? or italians returning to rome maybe?

Advertisement