Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Wicklow location

Options
  • 07-09-2016 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Mickc47
    Today 07:52
    Hi
    We are a semi retired couple who intend to live ~6 months in Ireland and ~6 months in Australia. I am Irish with family in Ireland and my wife's an Aussie so will chase the sun and spend summer months in the respective countries.
    We have decided to live in the sunny south-east in either Co Wexford, Co Wicklow or Co Waterford. Yes "sunny" is a relative term and we do know Irish summers! Just spent 6 weeks there!
    Anyway, we are looking for your recommendations of places to live in Co Wexford. It will be a three bed apartment/duplex or a low maintenance house.
    Location wise we would like a city/large town based apartment or a small town based house.

Any info is good info.

Thanks
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mickc47

That should say county Wicklow! Have put this question on Wexford and Waterford forums too!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Wow all sounds very exciting. There are so many variables there!
    Budget
    Hobbies and past times
    Access to services (GP, Hospitals etc.)
    Leaving all that aside, I can recommend Bray and Greystones, simply as that is were I am based.

Coastal location
    Ease of access to Dublin City for Cultural stuff
    Both have their own cultural scenes (music, amateur dramatics, arts, men's sheds, sailing, rugby, hockey, GAA and cricket clubs ......)
    Choice of accommodation - New builds in both towns now.
    Ease of access to the mountains and hills
    Self contained (You can get all the main services you need in the towns; food, motors, pubs, GP, clothes)

On the downside, everyone else will know this too so property is priced according.

Best of luck.

Thank you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wally Runs wrote: »
    On the downside, everyone else will know this too so property is priced according.

+1
    I would also recommend Bray and Greystones and agree about the "downside" :)
    Of the two areas Greystones would be my preference, but Bray has a lot to offer too.

There are areas not far from Greystones where it might be possible to rent for less (of course there are many variables that will impact on the cost rent). These areas include Kilcoole, Delgany, Charlesland, Killincarrig and Kilpedder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

+2
    2011 wrote: »
    +1
    I would also recommend Bray and Greystones and agree about the "downside" :)
    Of the two areas Greystones would be my preference, but Bray has a lot to offer too.

There are areas not far from Greystones where it might be possible to rent for less (of coursriables that will impact on the cost rent). These areas include Kilcoole, De there are many vaelgany, Charlesland, Killincarrig and Kilpedder.
    You did not mention public transport as a requirement. However if this is a consideration then Bray or Greystones would be the better options.
    Also if you are a senior citizen you will have free access to all public transport.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. Public transport is not a high priority as we both love riding our motorbikes and we have a car over there.

Also, we will be buying the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

There is a wide variation in property prices in Wicklow. Your budget will be largely determine your choice of location.
    I suggest you review the property listings on myhome.ie and daft.ie

When you identify a suitable property, people here can give you more information on the choice of location.

Cerco wrote: »
    There is a wide variation in property prices in Wicklow. Your budget will be largely determine your choice of location.
    I suggest you review the property listings on myhome.ie and daft.ie

When you identify a suitable property, people here can give you more information on the choice of location.

Yes, it's a bit chicken and egg! We have been doing just that and found a few places. We normally call the nearest Garda station or family in Ireland to find out any issues which has been helpful. However we have discovered that price is not a foolproof indicator of value so we are using this info channel to get a locals view of things.
    Thanks
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Mickc47 wrote: »
    or a small town based house.
    Newtown is better value than Greystones or Bray, but with more limited public transport options (a bus). Any new houses are relatively low maintenance so these might suit.
    Another option would be spend more and buy something close to a third level college, then rent it to students in the winter. But then you'll come back to a trashed house in the summer :pac:

Advertisement