Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant TCR Advanced Pro sizing headache

Options
  • 07-09-2016 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all. Just putting it out there to see if anyone can help. I'm looking at a TCR Advanced Pro for the new year and I can't figure the sizing. I ride a 54(m) on my other bikes but the TCR seems to have small as 53.5cm and medium is 55cm. I have an inside leg of 80.5cm and I am 177cm so should I go for the small or medium. My current bikes have a distance of 54cm from front tip of saddle to middle of stem where face plate screws on. Christ the more I write the bigger my headache gets. The giant rep says small but I'm not sure. Any advice/anyone riding one now have these issues? It's the 2017 model btw. TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going by your username, maybe the giant rep is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

going by your username, maybe the giant rep is right?

lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going by the giant site, the sizing guide suggests a strong M for you (based on a 31-32" inside leg and 5'9"-5'10" height):

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ie/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.pro.2/25078/90673/#geometry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

OP, what's the stack and reach figures for your other bikes, once you know that it'll be easier to match up the right size TCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Your better erring on the side of caution and getting a Small. As has been said countless times before, its easier to make yourself fit a smaller frame than make a larger frame fit you.

Your current bike is 54cm then 53.5cm would appear to be the closest option. You can put a longer stem on if you need a little more reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Smalltom wrote: »
    Hi all. Just putting it out there to see if anyone can help. I'm looking at a TCR Advanced Pro for the new year and I can't figure the sizing. I ride a 54(m) on my other bikes but the TCR seems to have small as 53.5cm and medium is 55cm. I have an inside leg of 80.5cm and I am 177cm so should I go for the small or medium. My current bikes have a distance of 54cm from front tip of saddle to middle of stem where face plate screws on. Christ the more I write the bigger my headache gets. The giant rep says small but I'm not sure. Any advice/anyone riding one now have these issues? It's the 2017 model btw. TIA.

i have that exact bike, I'm 5ft 7 and I got a small, I then got a bike fit in a very reputable fitting place and the bike was actually fractionally too big for me, had to reduce the stem length by inverting and some other tweaks.

How tall are you?

EDIT, saw your height is posted. I'd go with small.

nilhg wrote: »
    OP, what's the stack and reach figures for your other bikes, once you know that it'll be easier to match up the right size TCR.

I have them at home and will take a look and throw them up later on. What exactly do you measure for reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The bike does have quite a long reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Small, Long body, short legs? Possibly medium.
    Small, Long legs, short body? Possibly small.

The top tube length difference would be my main concern. I'd definately sit on both it and see how it feels. But looking at the small, it is a really really small bike, which is good for weight, if it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Smalltom wrote: »
    I have them at home and will take a look and throw them up later on. What exactly do you measure for reach?

Most brands will have stack and reach figures published on each model's geometry page, like the TCR one linked above, but if you want to measure it yourself here's a guide

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-setting-your-bikes-up-identically_216035

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    like the TCR one linked above
    i just realised that the URL i linked was the geometry page, not the sizing page (which is a pop-out).
    the sizing link is the one just under the green 'add to basket' button.

So the guide tells me I'm well into the medium bracket. I looked at a small and the seatpost would be way out of the seat tube I think for my height.

Advertisement