Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder has mixed topsoil with subsoil

Options
  • 07-09-2016 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

We are getting close to our new build been completed and therefore time for the builder to do kerbing, driveway, level and seed lawn.
    There is about 0.3 acres of lawn to be done.

Here is the problem!
    The builder is claiming that there was basically no topsoil for him to put aside when he was initially clearing the site. He says that either we need to buy in topsoil or else rotavate it ourselves.

I dont believe this for one moment!
    - It is a well drained site that has been a garden/field for decades.
    - Percolation test report for trial holes show that there was at least 0.2m of good topsoil (Report even has images).
    - We had dug out a small patch to the side for growing potatoes and there was at least 12 inches of great topsoil.
    We also dug out a small area in opposite side of site for a small shed and it also has good topsoil.

So between all three areas there was very good topsoil.

I'm fairly sure he is simply trying to cover his tracks by saying there was no topsoil as he knows he made a mistake clearing the site and throwing subsoil and topsoil together.

Question:
    - Will grass grow on soil no if it evened and rotavated?
    - How much topsoil would you need for 0.3 acres and how much would it cost roughly?

I'll be putting the onus on him to sort and pay for new topsoil and/or rotavation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If there is as much good topsoil as you say, even if it was mixed 50/50 with subsoil you would probably get a reasonable quality soil, provided there were not large areas where it is just sub soil. If it is well mixed up (rotavated) it should be ok. Is there a heap of removed soil/subsoil? Is that to be replaced? If not, what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

looksee wrote: »
    If there is as much good topsoil as you say, even if it was mixed 50/50 with subsoil you would probably get a reasonable quality soil, provided there were not large areas where it is just sub soil. If it is well mixed up (rotavated) it should be ok. Is there a heap of removed soil/subsoil? Is that to be replaced? If not, what happened to it?

Well it would be more subsoil that topsoil in the mix as he basically dug up the entire garden eventually to allow for percolation area and a horizontal geothermal grid.

There are two small heaps, not sure what they are.
    I think he has basically dug topsoil and subsoil and dumped together. Then randomly dumped them back in when back-filling percolation area and geothermal grid.
    Ill take pictures and send them on when I get a chance (Not sure if you could tell from that is grass will grow!)

There is a lot of difference between the builder stripping away the topsoil and possibly mixing it with the subsoil from foundations, and removing both the sub and topsoil from an entire site, then returning it randomly.

Builders are notoriously bad at doing work that will create a garden, you would need someone who knows how to recognise good soil to see it rather than trying to work it out online. Who is responsible depends on your agreement with him, and your instructions. On balance, it might be better to get a landscaper on the job now, rather than letting the builder put down poor grass and having to redo it in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

This is a prime example of why you should never get a landscaper to build your house and vice versa.
    OP if you're unhappy with what the builder is proposing to do with the lawn, then tell him you'll get a landscaper yourself and deduct the cost from any monies outstanding to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

This is a prime example of why you should never get a landscaper to build your house and vice versa.
    OP if you're unhappy with what the builder is proposing to do with the lawn, then tell him you'll get a landscaper yourself and deduct the cost from any monies outstanding to him.

Unfortunately I though it would have been common sense for a builder to know something as basic as keeping topsoil separate to subsoil.

We will have a talk about it later in week with Architect.

• Advertisement

rodge123 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I though it would have been common sense for a builder to know something as basic as keeping topsoil separate to subsoil.

We will have a talk about it later in week with Architect.

He may well know, but acting on that knowledge if he thinks he can get away with it is another matter. He gets in a subcontractor to clear the site/ dig the foundations, whatever, and either doesn't mention sorting the soil or the contractor just doesn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Or option c - the topsoil goes in one large heap for an extended period, and what was good soil deteriorates.

Builders put a very large heap of soil near a new housing development near to where I live, years ago. Presumably it was supposed to be redistributed to the house gardens, but that never happened and it is still there. By now it has completely grown over with grass and weeds and looks like some kind of ring fort or fairy hill. Probably most people have forgotten how it came to be there. Maybe a puzzle for archaeologists to come! (sorry, totally ot and irrelevant :D )

I had someone in to deliver topsoil and make my area good for lawn after Id had a large 35m2 shed built.
    Idea was that the builder kept the topsoil for use later.

Not to be...

Like you sub soil and topsoil was mixed and to top that off the new topsoil (if you could call it that) was desperate. I had a large area of brutal soil that I then rotivated and seeded. I'm sorry I did. The grass is poor, patchy and sickly looking. Weeds even struggle to grow there.

As both were neighbours and I being new to the area I said nothing. I've been top dressing with compost/peat since the start of the year.

My advice to you is to get it sorted NOW before seeding. It will save you heartache later not to mention the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

TheTorment wrote: »

My advice to you is to get it sorted NOW before seeding. It will save you heartache later not to mention the extra work.

This is the best piece of advice you will get.. I am in my house 10 years, it was built 15 years ago and my back garden has very poor topsoil.

I am spending at least 5 full days a year to get the grass growing and by no means is it ever a nice lawn... Every year I start the summer with the intention to do it all over again, but then get so annoyed with how much it would cost, so keep on patching it up.

I know the only way to sort it is to start over again and come April, I will be annoyed with myself again I didn't sort it this year.

Fix now or be annoyed forever.. I never cared too much about lawns, but my wife calls me obsessed now due to the amount of time I am spending on it.

Nothing more disheartening than mowing a bad lawn every week, it will cause you heartache, I promise you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

This is a very common problem. That and burying building waste in gardens. By the time the occupier discovers the problem the builder is long gone.
    Unfortunately rumours that the recession put the bad builders out of business and only the good ones remain, are false.
    Old habits die hard. Cheetahs never change their spots. Once a coconut, always a coconut. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

Builders do not see the garden as part of their project. You really must lay down to them at the very beginning what you want expect with regard to lanscaping plans and most will oblige. As a matter of interest poor compressed contruction site soils are great for wild flower meadows which are very low maintenance if you were interested and it was in a good region. You could always relocate topsoil from another area to be your wildflower patch and use this soil for lawn etc.

Advertisement