Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-and-coming areas of Dublin?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Has anyone any opinions on what the latest property hot-spots in Dublin will be?

I'll start:

Northside - Phibsborough. The area around the Blessington Basin has lots of nice red-bricks, and when they finally knock down the shopping centre the place will look a lot prettier. Also, the new Luas line seems to be adding value to houses already, even before it's operational.

North Circular Road. Beautiful old houses, will we start to see them converted back from bedists/flats to single family homes? Reminds me of areas around Rathmines and Portobello in the 1980s.

Southside - Inchicore, especially closer to Kilmainham. The Dart Underground (and its Inchicore stop) have been shelved, but the Eastern part is still walking/cycling distance to the city, and nearby Kilmainham is looking great these days. Still lots of cheap places for sale closer to the village.

Thomas Street/Meath Street/Francis St - a bit of a punt, but the area is looking a bit more hipster these days, while still retaining it's authentic Dublin vibe (for better or worse - I make no judgement! :-) )

I would also take a punt on Rialto, the Dolphin flats are an eyesore but when they are inevitably improved it could add a lot of value to the area. Rialto is also looking a bit better these days anyway, a bit of a spillover from Kilmainham, perhaps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Nutgrove is a bit of a bargain,some ex council estates in a fantastic location, will only go higher through the next decade or so.

Same goes for Killester & parts of Artane, Phibsborough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

North Circular Road 4 bed house 240K

http://www.daft.ie/11303021

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Nutgrove is a bit of a bargain,some ex council estates in a fantastic location, will only go higher through the next decade or so.

Agreed on nutgrove

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That would take a lot of investment. It's a pre-63 which would need converting if you wanted to live there and there's no interior shots so I can only imagine it's pretty bad inside. Bags of potential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

That would take a lot of investment. It's a pre-63 which would need converting if you wanted to live there and there's no interior shots so I can only imagine it's pretty bad inside. Bags of potential though.

Yes indeed - but at that price, plus another 150-200, and you could have a spectacular house. I'm extremely bullish on the NCR - period houses within walking/cycling distance of the city centre are very attractive. A lot of older houses on the Southside sold off their gardens for mews and other developments, but the front gardens are still ample enough, and these houses are fetching very high prices. I would take a bet that the same will happen on the Northside.

A solicitor friend of mine moved her business to Inchicore last year. She tells me there was talk then of the place becoming 'the new Ranelagh'. Not sure I'd go quite that far - but the red-bricks, the small village and the proximity to town make me think the place has bags of potential. And if the Dart Underground ever gets back on track (pun!) then it could even do for Inchicore what the Luas has done for Ranelagh.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how long after a house is bought off the council is it normally put on the open market? As far as I know there is a claw-back clause for any discounts granted during the repayment period, so about 20 years?

The problem with that house on the NCR is the proximity to Croker. It'd be grand most of the time though.

Inchicore, definitely. I used to work there years ago and while it is a bit rough around the edges, there's loads of nice spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Id consider that a steal if you wanted to buy something to rent out.
    Actually even if you had the money to do it up, still a steal IMO.

mel123 wrote: »
    Id consider that a steal if you wanted to buy something to rent out.
    Actually even if you had the money to do it up, still a steal IMO.

If there's a two bed for 1200/month and two 1 beds at 1000/month (estimating low). That's a potential return of 16%. That's enormous.

The problem with that house on the NCR is the proximity to Croker. It'd be grand most of the time though.

Yes indeed - and look at the prices of houses near Landsdowne Road (I refuse to call it anything else! :-) ), they just keep going up and up. Even Garth Brooks wouldn't stop it!

• Advertisement

Inchicore, definitely. I used to work there years ago and while it is a bit rough around the edges, there's loads of nice spots.

The regeneration (removal?) of St Michael's Estate seems to have helped. I know a guy who lived there for 8 years, but moved out 2 years ago. He wasn't a fan of the place but just seems to have just missed the start of a possible transformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I'd certainly be tempted to take a punt on parts of East Wall (as well as probably any of the areas above)

The only one that wouldnt appeal to me would be Nutgrove. Its alright, but I'm not sure the value there is spectacular. If I was taking a punt, I'd rather take a punt closer to the city center than Rathfarnham/Churchtown.

I'd certainly be tempted to take a punt on parts of East Wall (as well as probably any of the areas above)

The only one that wouldnt appeal to me would be Nutgrove. Its alright, but I'm not sure the value there is spectacular. If I was taking a punt, I'd rather take a punt closer to the city center than Rathfarnham/Churchtown.

Nutgrove is a bit suburban looking for my tastes. I think walking/cycling into the city in 15 mins or less is important. East Wall is definitely up and coming - the proximity to the IFSC helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The way I'd look it it, if a place isn't currently showing any signs of regeneration / growth now, it hasn't much of a hope.
    We're in one of the worst housing crisis in a long time, so areas should be making the most of it if there's any stock out there at all.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Potential alright, wrong end of North Circular Road for me though. With O'Devaney being redeveloped I think the west end of the road could be great. Quite a few of the houses around there have been redeveloped already.

... doubt I'll ever be able to afford one, mind.

Oh, and as far as up and coming - Stoneybatter/Smithfield/Grangegorman. DIT & the Luas coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh, and as far as up and coming - Stoneybatter/Smithfield/Grangegorman. DIT & the Luas coming.

I think those areas have already come up tbh given the prices... Stoneybatter especially. The houses are generally tiny. I would agree RE inchicore I bought about a year ago, houses in worse condition going for over 30/40k more than I paid. I find it safe and quiet, union 8 in kilmainham has a good buzz, imma is terrific, close to phoenix park and great transport links.

gmisk wrote: »
    union 8 in kilmainham has a good buzz, imma is terrific, close to phoenix park and great transport links.

All the best parts of Inchicore are in Kilmainham! :-)

Floodzie wrote: »
    Nutgrove is a bit suburban looking for my tastes. I think walking/cycling into the city in 15 mins or less is important. East Wall is definitely up and coming - the proximity to the IFSC helps.

Exactly, I think a good few of the areas mentioned have already "come up" so to speak. For example, I can't see much more out of Stoneybatter above the market rate. Once a place is full of trendy coffee shops and neighbourhood resturants, then its job done IMO.

East Wall doesnt yet have a hipster scene or much regeneration (that I know of) but I think purely because of its location that it will improve eventually.

Exactly, I think a good few of the areas mentioned have already "come up" so to speak. For example, I can't see much more out of Stoneybatter above the market rate. Once a place is full of trendy coffee shops and neighbourhood resturants, then its job done IMO.

Yes indeed, in Stoneybatter the houses are quite small and I don't see too many people ever paying over 350k for a 2-bed house with a small garden and no off-street parking, even if they are done up to an extremely high standard.
    East Wall doesnt yet have a hipster scene or much regeneration (that I know of) but I think purely because of its location that it will improve eventually.

A completely un-scientific observation of mine regarding population change of an up-and-coming area is: Working class and students only, Gays move in, then Hipsters, Yuppies/childless couples, Families, finally Unaffordable :-)

• Advertisement

I always felt East Wall was isolated due to the surrounding of it by railway tracks and few interconnecting roads. This could be a good or bad thing in the future. It could protect the roads from through traffic (away from the Port Tunnel of course) but it can also make the place feel cut-off from the city.

For example if you image the Docklands station wasn't there along with the other bit of track surrounding the southern side of East Wall, it would have long since had some regeneration from the IFSC/North Wall/Point redevelopment. Not sure how this will affect it in the future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Floodzie wrote: »
    All the best parts of Inchicore are in Kilmainham! :-)
    Ha I suppose a lot of them are...but all close together.
    Inchicore has errr a Tesco...and enoteca :)

I always felt East Wall was isolated due to the surrounding of it by railway tracks and few interconnecting roads. This could be a good or bad thing in the future. It could protect the roads from through traffic (away from the Port Tunnel of course) but it can also make the place feel cut-off from the city.

For example if you image the Docklands station wasn't there along with the other bit of track surrounding the southern side of East Wall, it would have long since had some regeneration from the IFSC/North Wall/Point redevelopment. Not sure how this will affect it in the future though.

I think the main problem with East Wall is that's it's associated with rail and car traffic - for a lot of people it's a place you pass through. Rightly or wrongly it's not somewhere you associate with green spaces and families, or a nice main street with trendy cafes. It could actually have all of those things with the right vision. In fact, it's proximity to town and the IFSC makes it an inevitability, IMO, which is why it's worth a punt. A good pedestrian and cycle link (away from busy roads) could be the kick-start the area needs.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ha I suppose a lot of them are...but all close together.
    Inchicore has errr a Tesco...and enoteca :)

Inchicore will change - mark my words!

One of the nicest parts of Kilmainham is actually Inchicore Road, and one of the nicest parts of Inchicore is the Eastern part of Emmet Road, which actually looks like it's part of Kilmainham! :-)

Well I guess it depends on what you consider 'up'. Stoneybatter has its fair share of coffee shops and tattoo places but it's not exactly Ranelagh either.

Well I guess it depends on what you consider 'up'. Stoneybatter has its fair share of coffee shops and tattoo places but it's not exactly Ranelagh either.

Yes, but not everywhere can/will become a Ranelagh.

Ranelagh is great, but the city likely couldnt sustain many multiple Ranelaghs around the place.

Stoneybatter was very working class and quite run down. Its now quite gentrified with a definite hipster tone, and property prices to match. I really don't see it needing to become another Ranelagh in order to say its come up in the world.

I think the whole point of this thread is to identify parts of town where people could buy a property relatively cheaply that might appreciate in value due to the area improving. Stoneybatter has already improved drastically and there isnt the same value to be had there as there once was. People have already made their money there and moved on.

Yes, but not everywhere can/will become a Ranelagh.

Ranelagh is great, but the city likely couldnt sustain many multiple Ranelaghs around the place.

Stoneybatter was very working class and quite run down. Its now quite gentrified with a definite hipster tone, and property prices to match. I really don't see it needing to become another Ranelagh in order to say its come up in the world.

I think the whole point of this thread is to identify parts of town where people could buy a property relatively cheaply that might appreciate in value due to the area improving. Stoneybatter has already improved drastically and there isnt the same value to be had there as there once was. People have already made their money there and moved on.

For my money, I still say Inchicore (village end, but Kilmainham side), Phibsborough (might have missed the boat on that one already though) and East Wall

Stoneybatter has already improved drastically and there isnt the same value to be had there as there once was. People have already made their money there and moved on.
    Well again, it's a matter of degrees. One of the cottages on my street just went for I believe nearly 30% more than what I paid for mine 12 months ago (though it's in somewhat better condition). This is despite there being at least a half dozen derelict houses on the street and a bunch more around Grangegorman. Plus only a fraction of the DIT campus has opened so far (and the LUAS hasn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

One of the mysteries of Dublin's outskirts has to be Clongriffin...I've been renting there for about a year now, no problem whatsoever, decently connected with the DART station and the 15 bus (well, not today but generally...). Roads network also favourable, driving into the city takes less than 20 minutes without traffic, M50 / Belfast motorway within reach, shopping centers et cetera.

Yet, although in these 12 months I've seen a definite increase in population (way less "dark windows" at night, more people on the DART platform in the morning), the commercial facilities there do not take off - there's an entire supermarket/small shopping centre that sits empty. Surely a Tesco / Lidl / Aldi / Supervalu would catch the entire area as a customer base?

What do you reckon? It's one of the few areas where property is still relatively affordable for a single persone (well, apartments at least).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    One of the mysteries of Dublin's outskirts has to be Clongriffin...I've been renting there for about a year now, no problem whatsoever, decently connected with the DART station and the 15 bus (well, not today but generally...). Roads network also favourable, driving into the city takes less than 20 minutes without traffic, M50 / Belfast motorway within reach, shopping centers et cetera.

Yet, although in these 12 months I've seen a definite increase in population (way less "dark windows" at night, more people on the DART platform in the morning), the commercial facilities there do not take off - there's an entire supermarket/small shopping centre that sits empty. Surely a Tesco / Lidl / Aldi / Supervalu would catch the entire area as a customer base?

What do you reckon? It's one of the few areas where property is still relatively affordable for a single persone (well, apartments at least).

Yes clongriffin is good value for money, I know it well. I think the reason the property prices there aren't outrages is because the properties had pyrite (all sorted now) and that sticks. So when people are researching the area, they google 'clongriffin' they will get articles to do with pyrite, and possibly put off the purchase.

Advertisement