Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-and-coming areas of Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Carrickmines/Cherrywood have both been developing a lot over the last 5 years. Massive redevelopment happening in Cherrywood over the next few years too. Both on the Luas line into town. Carrickmines still has plenty of green space, but has so many amenities on your doorstep compared to what it used to have. Also Stepaside area. 6 new schools opened in the last year alone in these areas and more on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yes clongriffin is good value for money, I know it well. I think the reason the property prices there aren't outrages is because the properties had pyrite (all sorted now) and that sticks. So when people are researching the area, they google 'clongriffin' they will get articles to do with pyrite, and possibly put off the purchase.

Yeah I get it - I've often been surprised about how many native Dubliners don't even know where Clongriffin is; The ones who do, immediately go "ah, where the pyrite scandal happened!". In those regards, it might be interesting to see what happens when the redeveloped Priory Hall will be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Carrickmines/Cherrywood have both been developing a lot over the last 5 years. Massive redevelopment happening in Cherrywood over the next few years too. Both on the Luas line into town. Carrickmines still has plenty of green space, but has so many amenities on your doorstep compared to what it used to have. Also Stepaside area. 6 new schools opened in the last year alone in these areas and more on the way...

Disagree, a bit too far out and quite cold and windy for most of the year as you are on the doorstep of the Dublin mountains etc, personally i would avoid regardless of redevelopment. Stepaside is ok though - cold though

Floodzie wrote: »
    Out of interest, how long after a house is bought off the council is it normally put on the open market? As far as I know there is a claw-back clause for any discounts granted during the repayment period, so about 20 years?

Unsure but i know a lot of these estates are from lates 60's/70's and are long gone private etc, although there are always a handful of houses where the tenants never bothered buying and rent to this day or have moved on, i think the council just sells them off then.

Raheny is not bad although perhaps the house prices have risen a good bit above bargain levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

North Circular Road 4 bed house 240K

http://www.daft.ie/11303021

That's beside Summerhill. Seriously dodgy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

pandoraj09 wrote: »

So boring though. And very 'new'. Personally new places do nothing for me. Stepaside is becoming a ghetto for people who would have liked to live in Rathfarnham. The average population age must be about 6.

Nutgrove a good location but parts of it have quite a bad element still. And there's no 'village'. I like an auld village myself. The SC does not count (it's actually a great SC, but it doesn't beat somewhere with a few restaurants). But it is good value for money.

East Wall fantastic IN THEORY. Would be amazing if you could get some of the more criminally oriented locals to move out.

I also think Clongriffin is the way to go. That supermarket will be open in no time. You're on the DART. It's all owner occupiers (I think). You're laughing.

Inchicore also definitely worth a punt. Especially if that '5 types of takeaway' takeaway is still open. There aren't many of those on the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

con1982 wrote: »
    That's beside Summerhill. Seriously dodgy area.
    It could also be a real money pit as well to bring it up to standard. Some of the estimates on costs here might be conservative as who knows what condition it's in. Good thread all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

I looked at a place in Summerhill, the houses are huge. You'd be looking at hundreds of thousands in costs though to bring the houses up to standard. You'd then have a huge, nice house in a very dodgey area. Wasn't there a B&B there that was sold recently enough? They were looking for mad money for it, but it was an example of the potential those houses have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Everyone always says inchicore, people have been saying it for years. I just moved out after three years, its an absolute kip. Break ins, feral kids, non stop hassle in the spar from some of the locals. So glad to be gone from there, I've lived in Dublin all my life and never had the hassle I did in inchicore.

Floodzie wrote: »

I would also take a punt on Rialto, the Dolphin flats are an eyesore but when they are inevitably improved it could add a lot of value to the area. Rialto is also looking a bit better these days anyway, a bit of a spillover from Kilmainham, perhaps?

I reckon you're not far off the mark here.
    There's some lovely properties in the area already so it would be no surprise to see some of the more run down ones being improved.

Problem is property in Rialto is already less than cheap...
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/rialto/18-longs-place-rialto-dublin-1261016/

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/rialto/131-herberton-road-rialto-dublin-1190763/

You'd want to be getting a "in need of modernising" one for under €200k really and maybe those days are gone if turnkey ish ones are asking what the two linked are.

So boring though. And very 'new'. Personally new places do nothing for me. Stepaside is becoming a ghetto for people who would have liked to live in Rathfarnham. The average population age must be about 6.

Nutgrove a good location but parts of it have quite a bad element still. And there's no 'village'. I like an auld village myself. The SC does not count (it's actually a great SC, but it doesn't beat somewhere with a few restaurants). But it is good value for money.

East Wall fantastic IN THEORY. Would be amazing if you could get some of the more criminally oriented locals to move out.

I also think Clongriffin is the way to go. That supermarket will be open in no time. You're on the DART. It's all owner occupiers (I think). You're laughing.

Inchicore also definitely worth a punt. Especially if that '5 types of takeaway' takeaway is still open. There aren't many of those on the go!

Stepaside!!! 100 % disagree, it is nice and quite upmarket, no bargains to be had there though

Nutgrove - no bad element(s) in it these days - i know as we purchased in mountain view a couple of years ago and are very happy, it is very quiet and actually developing into a great area with lots of young professional types buying. I have rarely seen the police in the area, there is no need! So i strongly disagree with your point. Even the few neighbours who are here years said it wasnt even that bad back in the day, a few bad apples but the area got a bad name in the early 80s due to a major drug dealer who lived there. Anyway i won't go on....great investment with the location/amenities, travel options etc

Inchicore - indeed some good areas, however anywhere near the flats i would avoid (personally)

Clongriffin - yeah close to the beach/malahide, still kinda feels a bit in the middle of nowehere vibe though, not bad, but still not a place i would buy (at the moment)
    East wall - not the best family area but again you are fixated somewhat in the past, some characters arounnd but in general it is grand, i work in the IFSC and my gym is in Clontarf, this area has drastically improved in the last decade, enormous improvement even. Heavy traffic though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not too sure on inchicore. Stay with a friend of mine there on a semi regular basis. Lots of abuse from junkies, actually got punched in the head by some auld one off her head when I refused to give her money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

D15/Clonee/Hollystown area is seeing lots of development, great job prospects, Facebook huge new site, lots of pharma, warehouses going up.

If I had money I would be buying there

Will be huge demand for rental accomadation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Stepaside!!! 100 % disagree, it is nice and quite upmarket, no bargains to be had there though

That was a joke, I meant it's like a ghetto for middle class people.

It was probably a bad joke alright.

Think I've gone off Inchicore after reading a few more comments. I am holding my ground on East Wall though.

thierry14 wrote: »
    D15/Clonee/Hollystown area is seeing lots of development, great job prospects, Facebook huge new site, lots of pharma, warehouses going up.

Clonee is saturated, somewhat of a megatown in it s own right these days. Indeed good rental potential though

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

What is the general feeling about ballybough as an up and coming area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

thierry14 wrote: »

Well the city will probably have to expand in that direction.

But Facebook are in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Nutser wrote: »

Nope.

It's one of the areas in Dublin where the social issues are so ingrained it's likely not going to change much over the next 50 years or so. There will always be these small pockets and Ballybough is one.

It did look like for a while something was going to happen with the area being redeveloped but it's looks to have been scaled back.

That's not to say the vast majority of people there aren't grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Nutser wrote: »

Right beside east wall and couldn't be more wanting of redevelopment, but it isn't gonna happen anytime soon. It's very much an area for the locals. Traffic is bad in the area. Parking is a nightmare. The Sunday match would also make the area undesireable place to live. Owners regularly deal with drunkards peeing on their doorstep and leaving empty glasses/bottles around the place. Kip.

Clongriffin is beside me. It does have a few issues and I heard about dealers in the area and a couple of recent instances of cars being set alight in the under ground. The retail units are very slow to take off. I think supervalu, or eurospar are the most likely anchor grocery clients, because Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and Dunnes are all pretty closeby anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

LG1234 wrote: »
    Everyone always says inchicore, people have been saying it for years. I just moved out after three years, its an absolute kip. Break ins, feral kids, non stop hassle in the spar from some of the locals. So glad to be gone from there, I've lived in Dublin all my life and never had the hassle I did in inchicore.

Right now, the only places around Inchicore I would live in would be the Eastern end of Emmet Road, or Inchicore Road (Kilmainham), or the houses in the Bulfin Estate.

However... I am old enough to remember when Ranelagh and Rathmines were full of laundrettes, and weren't too pretty to look at - problems with feral youths and break-ins also (I recommend reading Goodbye to the Hill, it shows a very different Ranelagh although a little before my time). Inchicore village reminds me of that type of area, not sure how long it will take to change though - 10 or 20 years perhaps. A long term punt if ever there was one, for now I would stick to the areas in Inchicore I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

goz83 wrote: »
    The Sunday match would also make the area undesireable place to live. Owners regularly deal with drunkards peeing on their doorstep and leaving empty glasses/bottles around the place. Kip.

But what about that fine street parking service the local respected residents offer?

(I've never not paid them the 2 Euro as I'm pretty sure I'd be minus a window upon my return!!)

Not too sure on inchicore. Stay with a friend of mine there on a semi regular basis. Lots of abuse from junkies, actually got punched in the head by some auld one off her head when I refused to give her money.

Out of interest, wherabouts in Inchicore is your friend living?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Never mind Dublin and how up and coming it is.

The Wild Atlantic Way is the best place to live.

Who'd want to live in a big City where you're basically trapped,have long tiresome commutes and have a local luas line dictate how up and coming your area is.

Up and coming me arse.

Nothing against Dublin or any other area.

You're paying for bricks and mortar,the elites will add on this that and the other to make excuses for paying over the odds for a roof over your head.

I thought this bllsht died along with the Celtic Tiger filly faffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

LG1234 wrote: »

Yeah I grew up there, it was really bad in the 80's and in to the 90's but it got a lot better after the flats (St. Michael's Estate) were knocked down.

My Dad still lives there and says some of the youth are a bit wild, he lives down near the South Circular Road end but I think it's probably worse up near the village.

The big advantage with the area though is how close to the city it is, probably a 30 or 40 minute walk in to O'Connell Street. Also, the houses are extremely solid (unlike a lot of newer houses you can't hear your neighbour through the walls lol), down side of this is that the walls are so thick that they hamper the wifi signals :)

LG1234 which part of Inchicore were you living in?

Also, the houses are extremely solid (unlike a lot of newer houses you can't hear your neighbour through the walls lol), down side of this is that the walls are so thick that they hamper the wifi signals

I'd choose a sturdy house over good wifi any day! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Dublin 15 may be a good area to invest in .My friend is a landlord in d15 for 10 years , theres loads of demand ,
    loads of single people in ibm ,various tech companys in blanchardstown ,
    looking for houses oe a single room to rent.
    These people are on high incomes ,40k plus ,from sweden,germany ,italy,
    etc they are good reliable clients as regard to paying the rent on time.
    Houses in the area on private estates are still quite cheap at least in comparison to rathmines or drumcondra .
    its got a large modern shopping centre with a good bus service into the city centre .

riclad wrote: »
    Dublin 15 may be a good area to invest in .My friend is a landlord in d15 for 10 years , theres loads of demand ,
    Houses in the area on private estates are still quite cheap at least in comparison to rathmines or drumcondra .
    its got a large modern shopping centre with a good bus service into the city centre .

Interesting - never thought about Dublin 15. However, would you be putting all your eggs in one basket, depending on the biggest employer IBM? What happens if they close? At least other areas like Phibsborough and Inchicore are walking distance to the city centre so not dependent on any particular employer.

However... If the Luas Cross City extends out to Blanchardstown, it would make the area extremely attractive. You could be onto something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PathMatcher

riclad wrote: »

I agree, it's mostly because the recent surge in house prices the last 2 years has not impacted D15 as much as other parts of Dublin. As a result of this, investors can easily get rental yields of 15%+ from semi detached houses in the area.

Advertisement