Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-and-coming areas of Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Floodzie wrote: »
    Interesting - never thought about Dublin 15. However, would you be putting all your eggs in one basket, depending on the biggest employer IBM? What happens if they close? At least other areas like Phibsborough and Inchicore are walking distance to the city centre so not dependent on any particular employer.

However... If the Luas Cross City extends out to Blanchardstown, it would make the area extremely attractive. You could be onto something.

Single basket? Have you seen how many companies are in D15? To give you a small idea, I advertised a bedroom under rent a room and had over 100 replies in a couple of days. Hospital, ITB, shopping centre, liberty insurance, IBM, eBay, PayPal, Xerox....and plenty more

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

athtrasna wrote: »
    Single basket? Have you seen how many companies are in D15? To give you a small idea, I advertised a bedroom under rent a room and had over 100 replies in a couple of days. Hospital, ITB, shopping centre, liberty insurance, IBM, eBay, PayPal, Xerox....and plenty more

Fair enough! :-) I don't really know Dublin 15, I'm more familiar with areas north and south that are closer to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Just looking on Daft.ie now. A 3 bed in mulhuddart is asking 135K, but a 3 bed is up for rent for 1400 (which they will most likely get).
    That's a 12.4% gross annual yield. That's pretty incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

A 3 bed in mulhuddart for 135k is a guaranteed ****hole! If i were being savy and investing i would be looking at a minimum of 250k - 380k for a property. It will also return more in rental income and chances are it will return a more handsome profit than that one in mulhuddart should i wish to sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

North Circular Road. Beautiful old houses, will we start to see them converted back from bedists/flats to single family homes? Reminds me of areas around Rathmines and Portobello in the 1980s.

Agreed. I always note the potential of houses along the D7 Phoenix Park end of the NCR when I'm passing there. So many are run down but you know they'd be lovely if renovated. And if DIT Grangegorman ever happens, that will be a big plus for the area too.

I also think Stoneybatter will continue its gentrification.

As a former Phibsboro resident, I really liked it but the proximity to Mountjoy did cause a few issues that might prevent it from becoming an up-and-comer of an area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Nutser wrote: »
    What is the general feeling about ballybough as an up and coming area?

It's rough. My sister lives there and it's grand... but unmistakably rough. I'll never forget the night about four years ago when me and my fella went into a pub there to get cigarettes on the way to visiting her and were blatantly looked up and down by every single person in the place. All talk in the pub completely stopped. Outsiders not welcome. Very uncomfortable experience.

Though a major plus is its promixity to town. You're on the very regular 123 for literally ten minutes before you hit O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A 3 bed in mulhuddart for 135k is a guaranteed ****hole! If i were being savy and investing i would be looking at a minimum of 250k - 380k for a property. It will also return more in rental income and chances are it will return a more handsome profit than that one in mulhuddart should i wish to sell it on.

You'll could stay sub 300k or less in D15 for something decent. Some (many?) of the estates were built early 2000s before the prices went nuts and crashed again. Those houses are probably still selling at around the prices around what they sold for, meaning the owners have a lot of equity in them.

The rental market is pretty good there, and because prices are relatively good, sales seem to be moving well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I thought this thread was about the best places to invest in ,that may provide a good return on investment in a few years .
    Not necessarily the best place to live.
    Theres at least 8 tech companys located in dublin 15,
    if ibm leaves it would make very little difference .i,m sure a house in rathmines is
    nice to live in, but would spending 400k now provide a good return on investment .
    My friend bought a house in a private estate in dn 15,
    its a good house ,he put in new kitchen units, new pvc windows ,
    and new insulation to bring it up to modern standards .
    He converted the garage into an extra bedroom ,
    with a new roof and 4 inches of insulation on the walls .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Don't expect capital appreciation from a house in D15, it probably has the biggest pipeline of development of any part of Dublin. Barnwell had 3-beds from €265K in May, Hansfield Wood from €275K, Castlegrange €299K, Hollywoodrath €300K, all modern A3 rated houses. It will take years for development to finish in D15, without a huge surge in population I don't see how prices could appreciate much, expect them to stay flat-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I,m not a financial expert ,I don,t think it would make sense to borrow for example,
    120K, on a btl loan, in order to buy a house for 160k,
    And then just rent it out .
    Under the current taxation system ,which only allows you to
    claim 75 per cent of the loan as a tax credit.
    IF you had 100k saved up and borrowed 60k it might make sense .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Bought in Inchicore 4.5 yrs ago and absolutely love it.............I am in the Bulfin area so the Kilmainham end and I have everything at my doorstep, its really quiet and my house has gone up in price by about 100k but the neighbour tells me more like 150k...

I am born and bred Dublin 8 so that could be why I love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

kellyshell wrote: »
    Bought in Inchicore 4.5 yrs ago and absolutely love it.............I am in the Bulfin area so the Kilmainham end and I have everything at my doorstep, its really quiet and my house has gone up in price by about 100k but the neighbour tells me more like 150k...

I am born and bred Dublin 8 so that could be why I love it :)

To be fair Inchicore is lovely but that end discussed above (Spa Road) is absolutely full of feral kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A solicitor friend of mine moved her business to Inchicore last year. She tells me there was talk then of the place becoming 'the new Ranelagh'. Not sure I'd go quite that far - but the red-bricks, the small village and the proximity to town make me think the place has bags of potential. And if the Dart Underground ever gets back on track (pun!) then it could even do for Inchicore what the Luas has done for Ranelagh.

Lads, I'm afraid Rialto has already claimed the "New Rathmines/Ranelagh" label.

God love anyone who actually bought into that, I almost did. Rialto is one of the only places in Dublin that has seemed to back slide. I was briefly involved in a bidding war, and I mean war, for a house on Reuben Street. I was done a huge favour by the number and frequency of the stupid bids and I owe the parties involved a massive thank you.

I wouldn't live around there and I live in an area famous for being quite rough (although in reality it isn't).

God love anyone who actually bought into that, I almost did. Rialto is one of the only places in Dublin that has seemed to back slide. I was briefly involved in a bidding war, and I mean war, for a house on Reuben Street. I was done a huge favour by the number and frequency of the stupid bids and I owe the parties involved a massive thank you.

I wouldn't live around there and I live in an area famous for being quite rough (although in reality it isn't).

The comedian Des Bishop lives there, and has written it into his jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

€900 Monthly :eek:

€900.. :eek:

€900... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

€900 Monthly :eek:

€900.. :eek:

€900... :eek:

"THE RIGHT PERSON WILL BE VERY CLEAN AND QUIET. WE HAVE A 'LEAVE NO TRACE' HOUSE RULE." Translation : I want your money, but I don't want anyone here, this is not your house to enjoy, you are merely income.

900 QUID. Look at that bedroom, that's tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Walked around Rialto for a bit one day last year while I was working out where I wanted to buy. Decided there was way too much excrement on the foot path for me to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cant believe no-one has mentioned Cabra, especially with the Luas opening up with direct access to Stephens Green and then all the way to Sandyford. The cross city route will open up Cabra as a place to live for those working on the southside, I would expect house prices near to the Luas line to have a 5-10% bounce when it opens.

Also I think Ashtown gets overlooked, its only about 20 minutes to Connolly yet has acres of green space in the park by the Tolka River and then the Phoenix Park only a short walk too. Good shops and cafes there too.

• Advertisement

Nice parts of Cabra are overpriced already, the bad bits can be quite bad indeed.

It's definitely worth a look but the ship has sailed in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Thomas Street/Meath Street/Francis St - a bit of a punt, but the area is looking a bit more hipster these days, while still retaining it's authentic Dublin vibe

You write for Lovin' Dublin, don't you?

I fecking loved living in D8 - I do miss it a bit, but my own little up and coming area beckoned!

Nice parts of Cabra are overpriced already, the bad bits can be quite bad indeed.

It's definitely worth a look but the ship has sailed in the short to medium term.

i would agree with this, the West is not so much a good buy and has stagnated for amny a year, always been a rough element for the last 30 years although definitely not as bad as it was. If they got rid of that pub where the shops are, it would improve things dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Thomas Street/Meath Street/Francis St - a bit of a punt, but the area is looking a bit more hipster these days, while still retaining it's authentic Dublin vibe

You write for Lovin' Dublin, don't you?

Dammit - busted! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah but hopefully the Luas opening will improve things somewhat in Broombridge, trams are going to be stored there daytime and overnight so there will be 24 hour security at the station which is badly needed. It wont solve all of Cabras problems but will at least bring some order to that part of it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah but hopefully the Luas opening will improve things somewhat in Broombridge, trams are going to be stored there daytime and overnight so there will be 24 hour security at the station which is badly needed. It wont solve all of Cabras problems but will at least bring some order to that part of it.

Given the LUAS runs through some pretty hairy areas of D8 and they've not seen any improvement I wouldn't put any money on it I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I live in Islandbridge right now, and I _love_ it. Right between IMMA, Phoenix Park and War Memorial Gardens, bus routes, near to town and easy to get to m50. I would love to find a place in Crumlin / Drimnagh, nearer the Kilmainham side. I saw a lovely apartment in Inchicore but am worried about the comments on this thread.

I do get quite sad though looking at houses for 250k that only have a bathroom downstairs, or are in need of total renovation.

I live in Islandbridge right now, and I _love_ it. Right between IMMA, Phoenix Park and War Memorial Gardens, bus routes, near to town and easy to get to m50. I would love to find a place in Crumlin / Drimnagh, nearer the Kilmainham side. I saw a lovely apartment in Inchicore but am worried about the comments on this thread.

I do get quite sad though looking at houses for 250k that only have a bathroom downstairs, or are in need of total renovation.
    Cautionary comments really, there are nice parts of Inchicore but just use common sense, if you get any kind of negative feeling towards the complex walk away (particularly for an apartment). Depends where it is, also it's good to consider the future, will you have a family - what then, rent or sell or live there. Is it suitable etc etc. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Any where around here is still good value for example

www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/glasnevin/50-griffith-parade-glasnevin-dublin-1253217/or example.

Loads of bus option, you could walk in to town, the botanic gardens, mature area. I know you get lots saying its near Ballymun/Finglas or its not really Glasnevin.

Its funny what make an area sought after or not.

Advertisement