Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-and-coming areas of Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Look at the cars - that tells you it's a solid working class area, houses maintained = settled. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Nutser wrote: »
    What is the general feeling about ballybough as an up and coming area?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

jon1981 wrote: »
    That must have 15+ yrs ago, definitely not like that now. The area between south circular road up to Bulfin road is full of professionals and families.

I think the opportunity to get a bargain here has passed. Here are some of the recent sales in the areas I'm referring to ... I don't think people would part with >300k if the area was full of junkies...

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/NPSRA/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-E3891C0F4971564E802580BA004D015A?OpenDocument - 428k

The Bulfin estate is very nice - walkable (just about) to the city centre, Luas line nearby, lots of buses over on Emmet Road/Old Kilmainham. The fact that the flats have gone has helped enormously! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Alicano wrote: »
    That is delightful alright. Cheers. :)

I'd be happy to live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

You could argue that its worth a punt due to proximity to town and the fact that its adjacent to nicer areas (Drumcondra for example), but really it doesnt show any of the real green shoots I'd be looking for as yet.

I would go with East Wall over Ballybough.

• Advertisement

Ballybough and Dublin Centre generally suffer from decades of Dublin City Council and the various social issues they've cultivated. There's no hope of it regenerating as people being forced out of the 'up and coming areas' end up in the city or one or two housing estates in the far suburbs.

It would be amazing to see real social change and areas broken up, but I just can't see how one would do it. You'd need to distribute people over the city/country and then distribute services accordingly, it would be too expensive to maintain.

+1 on east wall though, it's just that far enough out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would go with East Wall over Ballybough.

Any place that starts with Bally in Dublin.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Phbisboro , Drumcondra , Glasnevevin all up and coming but pricy already... Cabra and Stoneybatter also , on the slightly cheaper side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Phbisboro , Drumcondra , Glasnevevin all up and coming but pricy already... Cabra and Stoneybatter also , on the slightly cheaper side

Drumcondra and Glasnevin are more what I would call established areas. Some hipsterisation going on in Phibsboro alright, but Drumcondra and Glasnevin have been commanding high prices for years, and already attract a very middle class home-buyer.

Cabra could possibly see some improvement as the location is great. Stoneybatter has probably peaked IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Stoneybatter has probably peaked IMO.

Still some fixer-uppers there, but I agree. I remember during the Celtic Tiger David McWilliams giving out about 2-up 2-downs for sale in Stoneybatter for 300k. I think we are above that level now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

kmfrob wrote: »
    We bought a large (well relatively large) three bedroom 1950s ex-council house on the south eastern end of Glasanaon Road (Glasnevin North/Finglas East) a couple of years ago for 225,000 and haven't regretted it once.

I work on the Quays and am in work on the 83 within 20 mins. The neighbourhood is great, nice neighbours, no trouble from kids or crime, and only 15 mins walk from the Botanic Gardens/Washerwoman/Andersons Cafe. We also have Johnstown Park 30 seconds walk from our door.

The proposed airport LUAS line will pass 10 minutes walk from here when it gets built.

There's so much to recommend about the area (except for a decent local), I simply don't understand why it never comes up in these discussions!

Hi,

Myself and my O/H are potentially looking around this general area, any experience a little further south, Griffith Road/Parade/Drive etc? Can't find much info on the area.

For anyone else reading where may be decent for 250k ish in Dublin (a stretch perhaps to get somewhere within striking distance of the city centre). Anywhere with an elderly population / young families moving in etc. Some parts of Drimnagh, Cabra etc?

howtolive wrote: »
    For anyone else reading where may be decent for 250k ish in Dublin (a stretch perhaps to get somewhere within striking distance of the city centre). Anywhere with an elderly population / young families moving in etc. Some parts of Drimnagh, Cabra etc?

Killbarrack/Donaghmede and the 'rough' areas of Raheny.

Thornville Road is a bit more lively but if you can come in closer to the DART it get's very quiet.

Killbarrack/Donaghmede and the 'rough' areas of Raheny.

Thornville Road is a bit more lively but if you can come in closer to the DART it get's very quiet.

Thanks! Hadn't considered that end of the world much. I'm from close-ish to the city centre on the southside and herself is from Castleknock/Blanch-ish direction but will have a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Firhouse and kingswood heights in the suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thanks! Hadn't considered that end of the world much. I'm from close-ish to the city centre on the southside and herself is from Castleknock/Blanch-ish direction but will have a look!

Did you look around dublin 15 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Like other posters said, it's still suffering it's share of problems, but a lot of the counsel flats south of Croke Park are about to be torn down to make way for a fancy new entrance. Not sure if it'll make much difference, but it's a start

Did you look around dublin 15 ?

Indeed, D15 is massive with some areas very far out (touching Meath), am fairly used to seeing bad traffic/issues with public transport arriving on time in D15. A bit closer in would be ideal if possible. Open to suggestions though if you have a specific part in mind to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Indeed, D15 is massive with some areas very far out (touching Meath), am fairly used to seeing bad traffic/issues with public transport arriving on time in D15. A bit closer in would be ideal if possible. Open to suggestions though if you have a specific part in mind to look at.
    Not sure what sort of property you're looking for but I don't think you'll get a house for 250k in the nicer parts of D15. 300k for a 3 bed maybe.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not sure what sort of property you're looking for but I don't think you'll get a house for 250k in the nicer parts of D15. 300k for a 3 bed maybe.

I've seen a handful, whether they actually go close to the asking price or miles above is another story! :)

My brother-in law bought in Clonsilla (we think!) it's one of the further out parts of D15 anyway... he likes the place. I personally think it's way too far out. About 2 years ago he go a structurally sound, but rather run down 3 bed Semi for c.220 I think. We purchased, not a million miles from the link I gave you, c. 265K for a 4 bed EoT. Prices have increased but keeping an eye out in some of the 'less desirable' areas can have it's advantages.

• Advertisement

Edenmore - my boss lives and is looking to buy over there. No direct experience of it myself but he reckons it's grand.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/edenmore/23-edenmore-grove-edenmore-dublin-5-edenmore-dublin-1392746/

Okay I know it's 3000sq ft. and I know it has a pool, and I know it's on the Howth road with a sea view but a few streets makes some difference out here :pac:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/raheny/621-howth-road-blackbanks-raheny-dublin-1385541/

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Think you might be a few generations late in the case of Glasnevin, and a few decades late in the case of Drumcondra. Prices in Cabra and Stoneybatter have also substantially increased in the last few years. The regeneration of Phisboro is long overdue.

Although prices are already reasonably expensive, it will be interesting to see what happens to Ringsend/Irishtown as these areas become increasingly compressed between the ever-expanding Grand Canal Dock and the new Poolbeg Strategic Development Zone (Glass Bottle Site) which will see up to 3000 new residential units, plus large-scale commercial and retail.

Edenmore - my boss lives and is looking to buy over there. No direct experience of it myself but he reckons it's grand.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/edenmore/23-edenmore-grove-edenmore-dublin-5-edenmore-dublin-1392746/

Okay I know it's 3000sq ft. and I know it has a pool, and I know it's on the Howth road with a sea view but a few streets makes some difference out here :pac:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/raheny/621-howth-road-blackbanks-raheny-dublin-1385541/

Thank you - definitely did consider looking on the fringes of the "less desirable" areas as they seem to be more grand than not. Wouldn't mind being near the sea either :)

Thank you - definitely did consider looking on the fringes of the "less desirable" areas as they seem to be more grand than not. Wouldn't mind being near the sea either :)

Sorry to keep going on about it but I love it out here. St. Annes park, Bull Island, an amazing off road cycle track (eventually back in service) into town. Keep an eye on Briarfield Road and Roseglen, there have been some bargains around there. As I say Thornville has a couple of minuses including it being the busy raod into the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm from the Dublin 9 area, and last year bought in that general area, but north of glanevin ave. Its extremely quiet, settled, and so handy for buses to town, Charlestown for shopping, 5 mins from the m50.

Any of the roads north of Glasnevin avenue at canices school are very quiet and settled, clune road, Clancy road, McKee road, Finglas park. Area well worth looking at when comparing price, location and the build quality of the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Southside - what about D12: Kimmage/Walkinstown around the fringes of Crumlin (Sundrive Road/Clogher road)? I know a few young professionals who have recently bought in these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My brother-in law bought in Clonsilla (we think!) it's one of the further out parts of D15 anyway... he likes the place. I personally think it's way too far out. About 2 years ago he go a structurally sound, but rather run down 3 bed Semi for c.220 I think. We purchased, not a million miles from the link I gave you, c. 265K for a 4 bed EoT. Prices have increased but keeping an eye out in some of the 'less desirable' areas can have it's advantages.
    No, D15 goes out much further than Clonsilla - out west to Clonee and north to the Ratoath Road which is level with Swords.

Despite the size, as with most places with mixed populations a hundred metres in D15 can make an enormous difference to desirability and prices.

Clonsilla is only 30 minutes from the city centre by bicycle but if that's not a preferred mode of transport it can take a bit longer to get in. Commuting by car is a terrible idea but the same applies to most places inside the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My brother-in law bought in Clonsilla (we think!) it's one of the further out parts of D15 anyway... he likes the place. I personally think it's way too far out.

It's 25 minutes out at the best of times, only about 15k, from O'Connell Street. Closer to the city than a lot of south Dublin. I think people picture it further out than it actually is due to its proximity to Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's 25 minutes out at the best of times, only about 15k, from O'Connell Street. Closer to the city than a lot of south Dublin. I think people picture it further out than it actually is due to its proximity to Meath.

do you mean best of times? or worst of times?

because the best of times is usually a useless metric for people when considering commuting!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm just making the point that it's not that far out, and distance does not always equate to time commuting. You could be living 5k closer but your commute not really any faster.

Advertisement