Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-and-coming areas of Dublin?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You could argue that its worth a punt due to proximity to town and the fact that its adjacent to nicer areas (Drumcondra for example), but really it doesnt show any of the real green shoots I'd be looking for as yet.

I would go with East Wall over Ballybough.

There's been ample gentrification in Ballybough for many years now tbh, Bayview Ave being the very definition of this. Summerhill has been a slower story, but change is evident nonetheless. The new student accommodation development on the site of the old flats will certainly mix things up a bit - whether for better or worse remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I think there was a thread 10 years ago about the same topic and the same areas were mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭howtolive

Hi All, thanks very much for the guidance, will definitely keep a list of all these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Casa2

How about Ashtown/Rathborne - D15? It is close to city centre and Luas will be ready soon. Options between Bus and train at the moment and it is really close to Phoenix Park as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kmfrob

Hi HowtoLive

Sorry, you asked about the area around Griffith Park etc. For some reason I am unable to reply directly to your post.

Anyway, that whole estate seems really nice. I only really see it when I get on the 83A, but the houses are attractive (well if you like that style of 50s/60s council house) and solidly built.

I can't really speak as to the estate itself, but I get the impression the area is just as settled as our road, if not more so. There are some rougher roads further up towards the village (Ballygall Parade, Johnstown Gardens etc.) but in the Tolka Estate bit where you are looking I would say you are pretty much as safe as you can be in Dublin.

As I said in the post, the area is really good and you have the best of Glasnevin right on your doorstep as well as large shopping centres just round the corner in Clearwater and Santry.

Anyway, I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions just let me know!

Cheers
    Rob

• Advertisement

Casa2 wrote: »
    How about Ashtown/Rathborne - D15? It is close to city centre and Luas will be ready soon. Options between Bus and train at the moment and it is really close to Phoenix Park as well.

It's all very nice but much of what I've seen falls outside our price range :(

kmfrob wrote: »
    Hi HowtoLive

Sorry, you asked about the area around Griffith Park etc. For some reason I am unable to reply directly to your post.

Anyway, that whole estate seems really nice. I only really see it when I get on the 83A, but the houses are attractive (well if you like that style of 50s/60s council house) and solidly built.

I can't really speak as to the estate itself, but I get the impression the area is just as settled as our road, if not more so. There are some rougher roads further up towards the village (Ballygall Parade, Johnstown Gardens etc.) but in the Tolka Estate bit where you are looking I would say you are pretty much as safe as you can be in Dublin.

As I said in the post, the area is really good and you have the best of Glasnevin right on your doorstep as well as large shopping centres just round the corner in Clearwater and Santry.

Anyway, I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions just let me know!

Cheers
    Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks very much - this is exactly the kind of feedback I had hoped for on the area :) we walked around there last Haloween (afternoon) and it seemed settled with a few kids playing, people walking dogs that kind of thing. Definitely will be keeping our eyes open for houses in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hey howtolive, I'm from around the Tolka Estate kind of end of Finglas. Grew up there in the 70's. I would really recommend it as a family area to live. Well settled and plenty around there. Schools, shops, Botanic Gardens, Johnstown Park, Tplka Park not far off. As a teenager I used to regularly walk into the city from home. The houses down that way are very well built and I have no memory of any structural or damp issues with ours or neighbouring houses. Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

tbeans wrote: »
    Southside - what about D12: Kimmage/Walkinstown around the fringes of Crumlin (Sundrive Road/Clogher road)? I know a few young professionals who have recently bought in these parts

Bought not too far from here recently (near the Kimmage Road Lower) and absolutely loving the area. Very handy for town also.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Selik wrote: »
    Bought not too far from here recently (near the Kimmage Road Lower) and absolutely loving the area. Very handy for town also.

Any amenities around? Pubs, cafes, shops?

• Advertisement

Any amenities around? Pubs, cafes, shops?

Plenty!

There's a really good Supervalu on Sundrive Road and as well as all the usual amenities (Butcher, jeweller,alterations, hardware etc) you'd expect in any village including 1 brand new restaurant/cafe and of course the legendary Matt The Rashers! Venture 10mins down the road to Harolds X for some fanciers joints such as The Beckett & Bull for brunch/dinner, HX Cafe and a new place that used to be called the Black Apple Cafe.

There are 3 parks in very close proximity (Eamonn Ceannt with a velodrome, Mount Argus Park and Harolds Cross Park) 2 with playgrounds - all within a 10 min stroll or less.

Pubwise theres a couple of local ones in Kimmage as we as some excellent ones in Harolds Cross such as Rosie O'Gradys, McGowans, Peggy Kellys and my personal favourite MVP - all within a 15min walk.

Stretch to 20mins in different directions and I can be at Leonards Corner junction or Terenure also so the location (IMO) is as much about what you are very close to as what's directly on the doorstep.

And all that's only really scratching at the surface to be honest and there is alot more planned for the next few years. If you would like more info feel free to hit me up! :)

Hey howtolive, I'm from around the Tolka Estate kind of end of Finglas. Grew up there in the 70's. I would really recommend it as a family area to live. Well settled and plenty around there. Schools, shops, Botanic Gardens, Johnstown Park, Tplka Park not far off. As a teenager I used to regularly walk into the city from home. The houses down that way are very well built and I have no memory of any structural or damp issues with ours or neighbouring houses. Best of luck with your decision.

Oh fantastic thank you! My dad had a friend in the area (who sadly passed away in the 90s) so I was up that way as a kid a bit, it seems to be ticking the right boxes for me as an adult.

Plenty!

There's a really good Supervalu on Sundrive Road and as well as all the usual amenities (Butcher, jeweller,alterations, hardware etc) you'd expect in any village including 1 brand new restaurant/cafe and of course the legendary Matt The Rashers! Venture 10mins down the road to Harolds X for some fanciers joints such as The Beckett & Bull for brunch/dinner, HX Cafe and a new place that used to be called the Black Apple Cafe.

There are 3 parks in very close proximity (Eamonn Ceannt with a velodrome, Mount Argus Park and Harolds Cross Park) 2 with playgrounds - all within a 10 min stroll or less.

Pubwise theres a couple of local ones in Kimmage as we as some excellent ones in Harolds Cross such as Rosie O'Gradys, McGowans, Peggy Kellys and my personal favourite MVP - all within a 15min walk.

Stretch to 20mins in different directions and I can be at Leonards Corner junction or Terenure also so the location (IMO) is as much about what you are very close to as what's directly on the doorstep.

And all that's only really scratching at the surface to be honest and there is alot more planned for the next few years. If you would like more info feel free to hit me up! :)

Hi Selik,

I'm not a million miles from there myself but have heard the rougher side of things unfortunately (I guess people often focus on the negative) - any particular streets to avoid? Would you be more familiar with the Mount Argus end of the road or the Bangor Rd end?

The Mount Argus end however I am fairly familiar with most of the general area at this stage. I'm often up around the KCR area which I think is generally fine but I'd be wary enough at night if I'm on foot. I think the general rule is the further how head into D12 towards Crumlim and Drimnagh the dodgier it gets although I'm open to correction on this?

The Mount Argus end however I am fairly familiar with most of the general area at this stage. I'm often up around the KCR area which I think is generally fine but I'd be wary enough at night if I'm on foot. I think the general rule is the further how head into D12 towards Crumlim and Drimnagh the dodgier it gets although I'm open to correction on this?

Ah yes around the KCR you're touching Terenure/Perrystown, I know of plenty of areas in Crumlin/Drimnagh that are quiet too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Not sure this is in the right place. I see hoarding has gone up around the old County Club/Faces/McGowan's site and builders are hard at it.

Does anyone know what the plan is for that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

I think it would very much also depend on your neighbours in those parts too. I actually live on Crumlin/Kimmage area - Sundrive Road and love it! A few interesting characters but we haven't encountered any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

garbanzo wrote: »
    Not sure this is in the right place. I see hoarding has gone up around the old County Club/Faces/McGowan's site and builders are hard at it.

Does anyone know what the plan is for that site?

Look up the planning permission on Dublin City councils website.

Advertisement